2019 NFL Draft - Interior Defensive Line

Forge

I get why Simmons may fall out of round one.

But why is Lawrence (who many regarded higher and was stuck at NT) getting the same treatment?

Any thoughts? I see him as a solid but underdeveloped elite talent that with some work could be the best DL in the class. Dude just benched maybe a record for his arm length too. 

5 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

But why is Lawrence (who many regarded higher and was stuck at NT) getting the same treatment?

Any thoughts? I see him as a solid but underdeveloped elite talent that with some work could be the best DL in the class. Dude just benched maybe a record for his arm length too. 

Because 3T's are all the rage, and Lawrence isn't one. He might be the next Haloti Ngata, but teams (and fans) want the next Donald/Cox/McCoy/Atkins

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Because 3T's are all the rage, and Lawrence isn't one. He might be the next Haloti Ngata, but teams (and fans) want the next Donald/Cox/McCoy/Atkins

No, it's because Lawrence's film is shockingly uneven, he didn't show much progression as his career went, and run stuffers just aren't highly valued today. Thus, teams that are worried about whether his pass rush will ever come around aren't going to be bending over backwards to draft him in the 1st round. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

As a NT projection, Lawrence just doesn't play a position/role that the NFL values that highly anymore.  There was a time not that far in the past where he probably would've been a highly coveted prospect...but with teams spending so much time in sub packages and the league becoming so predominantly a passing game, a big NT just doesn't hold the same value for most teams anymore.  They're going to be the guy coming off the field too often, and generally just don't have as much impact on the critical passing downs and getting to the QB.

I think pigeonholding Lawrence as just a big ol' run stuffer is probably selling him a bit short.  He's more athletic than that, and his ability to disrupt the pocket often seems underrated to me even if the sack production hasn't been there lately.  He's got the potential to be one of the better NTs in the NFL.  But if he falls out of the 1st round, that's what it's about.  In a strong DLine draft like this, there are just too many other more "dynamic" finishers out there at more "valued" positions for teams to take a swing on.

ie.  How much is a space-eating NT getting a couple sacks a year really going to swing the fortunes of your team overall?  I think it's entirely reasonable to see how teams might want more from their 1st round selection.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

As a NT projection, Lawrence just doesn't play a position/role that the NFL values that highly anymore.  There was a time not that far in the past where he probably would've been a highly coveted prospect...but with teams spending so much time in sub packages and the league becoming so predominantly a passing game, a big NT just doesn't hold the same value for most teams anymore.  They're going to be the guy coming off the field too often, and generally just don't have as much impact on the critical passing downs and getting to the QB.

I think pigeonholding Lawrence as just a big ol' run stuffer is probably selling him a bit short.  He's more athletic than that, and his ability to disrupt the pocket often seems underrated to me even if the sack production hasn't been there lately.  He's got the potential to be one of the better NTs in the NFL.  But if he falls out of the 1st round, that's what it's about.  In a strong DLine draft like this, there are just too many other more "dynamic" finishers out there at more "valued" positions for teams to take a swing on.

ie.  How much is a space-eating NT getting a couple sacks a year really going to swing the fortunes of your team overall?  I think it's entirely reasonable to see how teams might want more from their 1st round selection.

Yeah. I just see underrated pash rush ability with Lawrence, I guess. He did pretty well.

A lot to work with there. Depends what coaches think they can turn him into.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 7:35 PM, JaireAlex said:

Because people are idiots and pigeon-hole him in as being a fat slob NT that can't do anything but clog running lanes. NFL GM's aren't as stupid. Lawrence will go in the top 15-20 picks for sure.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Am I the only one who would rather have John Cominsky in the 3rd/4th over Rashan Gary in the 1st? 

Nope. I would rather have almost anyone over Gary. Relying too much on what he MIGHT do because there wasn't much he really did. Perhaps I am oversimplifying, but you get the idea.

Can someone sell me or make me feel good about Gary at 7?

I like the freaky athleticism and think the upside is there...but at 7 I am eh. Not worst case, but definitely one of my least favorite options . Much prefer Q, Sweat, Haskins, Hock, Allen, or Jonah. 

I honestly think he'll be our pick if he's still available.

Edited by .Buzz

On 2019-04-04 at 1:00 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Because people are idiots and pigeon-hole him in as being a fat slob NT that can't do anything but clog running lanes. NFL GM's aren't as stupid. Lawrence will go in the top 15-20 picks for sure.

Pretty sure he goes to Atlanta at 14 if they don't trade up for Oliver and Gary is gone.