2019 NFL Draft - Interior Defensive Line

Forge

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:38 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

The NFL's website states that one of Christian Wilkins' weaknesses is he is scheme dependant. What scheme must he be in to thrive? He seems like a very good interior pass rusher and that isn't exactly dependant on scheme. I'd also guess he could probably play DE in an aggressive odd-man front. 

That's such a terrible, lazy argument, they are basically saying that the majority of his production was a product of blitzes/stunts and not of his own merit, which is BS. I am not of fan of people creating false narratives just for the sake of it.

As far as what scheme, IMO he probably is one of the most if not the most scheme diverse interior linemen as there is in this draft.

Edit: The analysis is by Zierlein, he is hit or miss, sometimes he is spot on and sometimes he seems half sleep with is analysis

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I love Dexter Lawrence. I would even take QW at #1 and DLaw at #33 for the Cards if available. 

QW, DLaw, Corey Peters, Philon, Bob Kim, Gunter. That's real good next year. Then let a couple go so they have bigger roles in the following years.

I really like Dexter Lawrence for the Cardinals, too. Imagine a front-seven with Chandler Jones, Jordan Hicks, Terrell Suggs, Quinnen Williams, and Dexter Lawrence. I like Corey Peters, too.

On 4/11/2019 at 9:03 AM, SmittyBacall said:

How does Dexter Lawrence compare to Vita Vea? Why is one commonly mocked as a fringe first rounder and one a 12th overall pick?

First of all, I don't see Lawrence as a fringe 1st rounder. He'll get taken in the top 15.

Secondly, Vita Vea straight up took over games last year. He was one of my 5 players in last year's mock with an elite grade. I wouldn't have taken him over Derwin if I were TB, but I thought that was an awesome pick regardless. Seems like that was not the case from what I've heard though...he was allegedly invisible.

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Secondly, Vita Vea straight up took over games last year. He was one of my 5 players in last year's mock with an elite grade. I wouldn't have taken him over Derwin if I were TB, but I thought that was an awesome pick regardless. Seems like that was not the case from what I've heard though...he was allegedly invisible.

He might have been elite at his skillset, but in terms of value it wasn't there.  You don't take 43 NT at 12.  Especially when you've got guys with higher grades at more valuable positions.

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

First of all, I don't see Lawrence as a fringe 1st rounder. He'll get taken in the top 15.

Vea graded quite nicely fwiw

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He might have been elite at his skillset, but in terms of value it wasn't there.  You don't take 43 NT at 12.  Especially when you've got guys with higher grades at more valuable positions.

I see your point for sure, but Vea seemed to be more than that. I watched him get interior pressure consistently at Washington as he bull rushed 1 and sometimes 2 OL right into the QB. He's more than just a space eater...at least, he was to me.

Dexter Lawrence can rush the passer too when he's healthy. Not just a space eater like he's being typecast as.

24 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I see your point for sure, but Vea seemed to be more than that. I watched him get interior pressure consistently at Washington as he bull rushed 1 and sometimes 2 OL right into the QB. He's more than just a space eater...at least, he was to me.

Dexter Lawrence can rush the passer too when he's healthy. Not just a space eater like he's being typecast as.

He came on a lot more at the end of the year. Not sure how the 3-4 switch will go though. 

15 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Vea was quiet to start after missing TC due to injury... but he looked like a future star down the stretch. I wanted Derwin myself but think the Bucs are very Happy with Vea- especially after hitting on a safety in the 4th round in Whitehead. 

• Like 1

I don't get the positional value argument against Lawrence.

If your team doesn't have a stud DT, Lawrence is a great pick. Sleeper top 10 pick if any of those teams have a need at DT. 

He's not just a run stuffing big with no pass-rush value. He's an elite athlete for his size. 13th best RAS in this draft class - 6th best defender (Rashan Gary, Jamel Dean, Burns, Sweat, Quinton Bell).

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Agree on both. But as I've said a number of times, my concerns with Lawrence are tied to his complete lack of consistency.