2019 NFL Draft - Off the ball Linebackers

Forge

I like Tre Watson on Maryland. I like him more as a wlb, but he's still learning the LB position and how to sack/shed, so he could be a decent mlb once he improves in those areas. Seems to have good instincts vs the run and pass, solid tackler, and looks like a decent athlete. Listed at 6'2" 236, so his size is good too.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, jebrick said:

Anyone think that Sutton Smith (Northern Illinois) could play MLB?  He is a missile on the field but perhaps too light for OLB 

I am sure he could, kid is an animal and has great production as a pass rusher.  Was crazy good last night with 4 sacks in that one game, but yeah ILB could be an ideal fit for him.  Is probably too small to play in a 3/4 OLB spot but then again not all 3/4 teams have typical massive OLBs, and some are smaller and still productive so he could do that as well.  

11 minutes ago, lark25 said:

How about 4-3 OLB that blitzes?

All of these guys could play 4/3 OLB and are fine pass rushers if asked to do it.

Josh Allen Kentucky SR
Chase Hansen Utah RS SR
Gary Johnson Texas SR
Andrew Van Ginkel Wisconsin RS SR
David Long Jr West Virginia RS JR
Sutton Smith Northern Illinois RS JR
Justin Hollins Oregon RS SR
Germaine Pratt NC State RS SR
Blake Cashman Minnesota SR
Drue Tranquill Notre Dame SR
Darrious Carter JMU SR
Terez Hall Missouri SR

Solid list, thanks but yeah Sutton Smith sheds blocks from big guys with ease in some vids I’ve seen.  I don’t know of any 3-4 OLBs playing around 230 though so to me 43 olb or 34 Ilb seems likely. Could end up better than joe Schobert who is a top 10 ilb after playing EDGE in college. Smaller, but more athletic than him

29 minutes ago, lark25 said:

Solid list, thanks but yeah Sutton Smith sheds blocks from big guys with ease in some vids I’ve seen.  I don’t know of any 3-4 OLBs playing around 230 though so to me 43 olb or 34 Ilb seems likely. Could end up better than joe Schobert who is a top 10 ilb after playing EDGE in college. Smaller, but more athletic than him

Yeah Sutton Smith is a demon pass rusher, gives amazing effort and is relentless.  Could argue only Josh Allen is a better pass rusher as a 4/3 OLB but most likely Allen ends up in a 3/4.  I think Smith could play in a 3/4, what is adding another 10 pounds and I think he is currently playing at or around 240 compared to 230.  Elvis Dumervil was a undersized 3/4 OLB for a long time, even shorter than Smith but that did not hurt him much.  As long as Smith gives this kind of effort and shows his athletic ability at the combine, kid could play a variety of positions, might not be the ideal 3/4 OLB but has a shot to do that or ILB.  

It is crazy he had 30 TFLs last year and this year is playing really well again, is just a constant force on the edge regardless of who is blocking him.  Even against Utah and Iowa this year he was quite productive against the high level competition.  

Expecting Sutton Smith to be like Dumervil isn't really fair. Dumervil was an exception. Sutton Smith should be viewed as a special teams contributor who works towards adding size and either hoping it works out on the edge (like it did for Dumervil), adding size to be a blitz-heavy ILB in an attacking 3-4, or adding size to make move to fullback. Either way, he doesn't have the speed to be a space/hang defender which is what his current size says he should be, so he's going to have to get larger regardless of where he ends up playing. 

What do people think about Alabama OLB Terrell Lewis? He was a big time HS prospect and flashed brilliance in limited time. He's a ht/wt/spd freak and can rush the passer and play in coverage. He could be a surprise late 1st rounder if he's healthy and tears up the combine, which seems likely if these injuries haven't killed his potential.

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

What do people think about Alabama OLB Terrell Lewis? He was a big time HS prospect and flashed brilliance in limited time. He's a ht/wt/spd freak and can rush the passer and play in coverage. He could be a surprise late 1st rounder if he's healthy and tears up the combine, which seems likely if these injuries haven't killed his potential.

He is a great physical prospect, but doubt a team is super high on drafting him when basically he has played almost no football this year and only a little football last year.  His tape is pretty lack luster because of that, I hope he comes back to school and shows what he can really do next year.

Archived