2019 NFL Draft - Off the ball Linebackers

Forge

On 11/22/2018 at 9:46 PM, lark25 said:

Respectfully disagree as Smith is more athletic than most ILBs watch and you’ll see

I think he is as close to the level of Shazier in this draft.  I am not sure of his lateral movement or whether he can read a play from the middle.  IMHO, I would love to see the Steelers take a shot with him at ILB.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Can someone give me the low down on Devin White? Pros, Cons? How will he test at the combine? What's his system fit? Where do you think he gets drafted? Where would you draft him? Floor, ceiling?

He's a stud. I know he isn't the fastest diagnoser of plays, but it's not exactly a weakness. He is physically perfect for playing linebacker in the NFL. He's built like a truck, hits like a truck, and runs like a deer. He has the ability to destroy OG's in the hole and he doesn't miss tackles. He can play really in any defensive scheme and play any LB'er position. I'd say ILB in a 3-4 is ideal, as he can blitz and take on guards with ease. But he can easily play 4-3 MIKE or SAM also.

I wouldn't hesitate on drafting him in the top 10. I think he definitely goes in the top half of R1.

His floor is a fast straight line Brandon Spikes.

His ceiling is Ray Lewis, but his instincts are far away from this.

I expect him to be a top 5-10 linebacker as he develops his instincts and understands how to play with better pacing to shoot gaps instead of destroy them every time.

I would guess he measures in around 6'2 245 and runs a 4.65 40 time. Will dominate the strength testing, but have pedestrial 3-cone and vertical numbers. He is fast as can be, but it's more of a straight line speed than it is a lateral speed. Don't get me wrong, he's going to be solid with all of his numbers...but the numbers we're going to see freakiness with are his straight line numbers.

Love him and I endorse any team selecting him, as he's easily the top linebacker in this draft for me.

11 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's a stud. I know he isn't the fastest diagnoser of plays, but it's not exactly a weakness. He is physically perfect for playing linebacker in the NFL. He's built like a truck, hits like a truck, and runs like a deer. He has the ability to destroy OG's in the hole and he doesn't miss tackles. He can play really in any defensive scheme and play any LB'er position. I'd say ILB in a 3-4 is ideal, as he can blitz and take on guards with ease. But he can easily play 4-3 MIKE or SAM also.

I wouldn't hesitate on drafting him in the top 10. I think he definitely goes in the top half of R1.

His floor is a fast straight line Brandon Spikes.

His ceiling is Ray Lewis, but his instincts are far away from this.

I expect him to be a top 5-10 linebacker as he develops his instincts and understands how to play with better pacing to shoot gaps instead of destroy them every time.

I would guess he measures in around 6'2 245 and runs a 4.65 40 time. Will dominate the strength testing, but have pedestrial 3-cone and vertical numbers. He is fast as can be, but it's more of a straight line speed than it is a lateral speed. Don't get me wrong, he's going to be solid with all of his numbers...but the numbers we're going to see freakiness with are his straight line numbers.

Love him and I endorse any team selecting him, as he's easily the top linebacker in this draft for me.

Thanks, dude. Definitely what I wanted to hear considering the Bengals will be one of his potential suitors right in the draft spot he's expected to go. I'll have to do some more research on him.

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Thanks, dude. Definitely what I wanted to hear considering the Bengals will be one of his potential suitors right in the draft spot he's expected to go. I'll have to do some more research on him.

Meh don't take him. You guys should trade up into the top 5 and take Caleb Kelly from Oklahoma. Tell this to your GM please.

On 12/19/2018 at 12:30 PM, BleedTheClock said:

He might even test better than that.

Indeed, White’s athleticism is part of what made him one of the most sought-after prospects in the country out of North Webster (La.) High School. At The Opening, White measured at 6-foot-1 and 255 pounds, then ripped off a 4.49 laser-timed 40-yard dash, had the fourth-best power ball throw and had a 38-inch vertical leap. That size/speed combination helped White to rush for 1,650 yards and 31 touchdowns as a senior, averaging almost eight yards per carry.

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Article/NFL-scout-says-LSU-linebacker-Devin-White-could-be-best-athlete-in-2019-NFL-Draft-118962544/

On 11/22/2018 at 9:46 PM, lark25 said:

Respectfully disagree as Smith is more athletic than most ILBs watch and you’ll see

He's nowhere near a good athlete. I like his game a lot and I think he could translate into an effective NFL player, but the dude is very limited athletically. I was wondering who you were talking about at first and kind of assumed you weren't talking about Sutton Smith. I was quite honestly shocked someone was out there calling him "more athletic than most ILB's." That's crazy talk.

17 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Any thoughts on Notre Dame linebacker Te'Von Coney? Looks like an NFL starter to me.

A couple of things I didn’t like about coney:

he doesn’t have very good instincts. He gets lost and doesn’t diagnose a play properly.

as a result of that he takes a lot of false steps and gets caught up in traffic quite a bit.

i still think he’ll be a good player. Just might need some time. 

Archived