2019 NFL Draft - Off the ball Linebackers

Forge

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I haven't watched Coney yet, but I've heard he has athletic limitations. Any truth to this? I've heard conflicting reports on that thus far.

I don’t think it’s as much athletic limitations as it is being in bad position. But that’s from a sample of about 4 games.

Cal ILB Jordan Kunaszyk got an NFLPA game invite. Was hoping he'd get a shrine game invite. Ideal size for an MLB/ILB and put up some good stats this season. Hopefully I read good things about him when I'm googling NFLPA practice recaps.

On 12/25/2018 at 4:47 PM, Jeezla said:

I like Vosean Joseph as a wlb in round 3/4. Interested in seeing him in coverage drills at the combine. 

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's the best pure OLB in the class IMO. A stout little missile. 

I wish y'all luck. Most Gator fans wanted him benched. He's a freelancer who plays out of control and specializes in missed tackles. He hung the defense out to dry a number of times this year by blowing assignments.

Watching some games of the top LBs in the draft (Excluding guys like Mack Wilson, who I think is going back to college):

• Devin White (LSU)
  • Vosean Joseph (Florida)
  • Germaine Pratt (NC State)
  • Devin Bush (Michigan)
  • Kendall Joseph (Clemson)
  • Joe Giles Harris (Duke)
  • Ben Burr-Kiven (Washington)
  • Bobby Okereke (Stanford)
  • Deshaun Davis (Auburn)
  • Te’von Coney (ND)

I would rank my top 4 (And only guys worth taking in the first 3 rounds IMO), in order:

• Devin White (LSU)
  • Devin Bush (Michigan)

(Te'von Coney and Deshaun Davis just outside the first 3 rounds for me)

Devin White seems to be the only true 1st round prospect.  Curious if anyone else has a take on Germaine Pratt?  Pratt's games surprised me the most from a positive standpoint.  Joe Giles Harris surprised me the most from a negative standpoint.  Could be that I just watched Devin White before Joe Giles Harris, but it looks like Harris was running in molasses.  Slow as hell...

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

Watching some games of the top LBs in the draft (Excluding guys like Mack Wilson, who I think is going back to college):

• Devin White (LSU)
  • Devin Bush (Michigan)
  • Joe Giles Harris (Kentucky)
  • Deshaun Davis (Auburn)
  • Te’von Coney (ND)

I would rank my top 4 (And only guys worth taking in the first 3 rounds IMO), in order:

• Devin White (LSU)
  • Devin Bush (Michigan)

Devin White seems to be the only true 1st round prospect.  Curious if anyone else has a take on Germaine Pratt?  Pratt's games surprised me the most from a positive standpoint.  Joe Giles Harris surprised me the most from a negative standpoint.  Could be that I just watched Devin White before Joe Giles Harris, but it looks like Harris was running in molasses.  Slow as hell...

Joe Giles Harris on Duke not Kentucky?  Giles Harris has been a wildly productive tackler in 2016, 2017 and now 2018 before the injury.  He has multiple double digit tackle games in each one of those seasons.  Pretty hard to be slow when you get to the ball as consistently as he does.  Sure he might not be the best in coverage or super fluid in coverage but few linebackers are.  The kid knows how to make plays, not sure he comes out early as a RS JR but he has been a consistent tackler from a long time in college.  Sure he is not a 1st round pick or something but if he does come out could be a solid 3rd to 4th rounder I feel and has a chance to be a good pro.

I agree Germaine Pratt is damn impressive, physically he is very well built and the kid can run and make plays.  Love his size and range, he is a sleeper prospect and could be a great 2nd or 3rd round pick.  Fine looking athlete for his size which is impressive.  

Paddy Fisher and Joe Bachie have big time potential as ILBs, love the speed of Bachie and the size of Fisher but will see if they come out. Markus Bailey has impressed at times this year on Purdue, he could maybe come out and be a mid round pick, he is strong at the point of attack and good in coverage as well for his size.  Sutton Smith is one where be interesting where he ends up, is a demon pass rusher but will see how he times out, has the build of a potential 3/4 ILB but will see what happens, could maybe rush off the edge in the right 3/4 system.

Same can be said for Cameron Smith, has been consistent for awhile, shows some pass rush skills at times also.  Underrated player and could be of good value in the mid to late rounds, and TJ Edwards kind of disappointed a little this past year but in a 3/4 ILB system he could be extremely good and productive especially as a run stopper.  Jordan Kunaszyk on Cal I like also, tackling machine like his teammate is, all over the place and is a tough kid.

Sione Takitaki has had a great season, really like how he has looked.  Very athletic backer who can chase and tackle, could be a good 3/4 ILB and maybe play OLB in a 4/3 also.  Has pass rush skills also, was a 3/4 OLB the years before in college at BYU before they moved him to more of a ILB.  Love how intense he plays and again he is crazy productive at getting to the football.  His tape against Wisconsin alone could get him drafted higher than most thought before the season, really interesting talent.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Joe Giles Harris on Duke not Kentucky?  Giles Harris has been a wildly productive tackler in 2016, 2017 and now 2018 before the injury.  He has multiple double digit tackle games in each one of those seasons.  Pretty hard to be slow when you get to the ball as consistently as he does.  Sure he might not be the best in coverage or super fluid in coverage but few linebackers are.  The kid knows how to make plays, not sure he comes out early as a RS JR but he has been a consistent tackler from a long time in college.  Sure he is not a 1st round pick or something but if he does come out could be a solid 3rd to 4th rounder I feel and has a chance to be a good pro.

I agree Germaine Pratt is damn impressive, physically he is very well built and the kid can run and make plays.  Love his size and range, he is a sleeper prospect and could be a great 2nd or 3rd round pick.  Fine looking athlete for his size which is impressive.  

Paddy Fisher and Joe Bachie have big time potential as ILBs, love the speed of Bachie and the size of Fisher but will see if they come out. Markus Bailey has impressed at times this year on Purdue, he could maybe come out and be a mid round pick, he is strong at the point of attack and good in coverage as well for his size.  Sutton Smith is one where be interesting where he ends up, is a demon pass rusher but will see how he times out, has the build of a potential 3/4 ILB but will see what happens, could maybe rush off the edge in the right 3/4 system.

Same can be said for Cameron Smith, has been consistent for awhile, shows some pass rush skills at times also.  Underrated player and could be of good value in the mid to late rounds, and TJ Edwards kind of disappointed a little this past year but in a 3/4 ILB system he could be extremely good and productive especially as a run stopper.  Jordan Kunaszyk on Cal I like also, tackling machine like his teammate is, all over the place and is a tough kid.

Sione Takitaki has had a great season, really like how he has looked.  Very athletic backer who can chase and tackle, could be a good 3/4 ILB and maybe play OLB in a 4/3 also.  Has pass rush skills also, was a 3/4 OLB the years before in college at BYU before they moved him to more of a ILB.  Love how intense he plays and again he is crazy productive at getting to the football.  His tape against Wisconsin alone could get him drafted higher than most thought before the season, really interesting talent.  

I haven't checked out Paddy, Bachie, Cameron Smith, or Takitaki yet. Thanks for the suggestions, because a lot of those guys I watched were underwhelming.  Bengals will need to take 2-3 LBs in this draft and even then we might still need 2 more LBs in Free Agency.  Complete dumpster fire at that LB position right now.

I'll go back and watch more of Joe Giles Harris (Right, Duke...let's act like that didn't happen), I didn't know about the injury.  I mainly watched the Northwestern game, and he seemed slow in that one...

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

I haven't checked out Paddy, Bachie, Cameron Smith, or Takitaki yet. Thanks for the suggestions, because a lot of those guys I watched were underwhelming.  Bengals will need to take 2-3 LBs in this draft and even then we might still need 2 more LBs in Free Agency.  Complete dumpster fire at that LB position right now.

I'll go back and watch more of Joe Giles Harris (Right, Duke...let's act like that didn't happen), I didn't know about the injury.  I mainly watched the Northwestern game, and he seemed slow in that one...

Most of the guys I mentioned are ILB types not all but most.  To me the best linebacker outside of Devin White is Josh Allen, he has had a great season, sure is more of a 3/4 OLB but could play in a 4/3 if one wanted him to.  Has that ideal size and athletic ability, could be a 4/3 DE also if a team wants him to potentially.  Some others would be Chase Hansen Utah, former safety and has taken to the OLB position well, is very athletic and thick, good in coverage for a linebacker also with his safety skills, he could be a 2nd round pick late 1st if he works out well.  And Gary Johnson I like as well, very fast linebacker who can bring a punch, good sideline to sideline and is very good in space as well.  Has a lot of athletic upside, as does Justin Hollins on Oregon, another long lean kid, maybe a 3/4 OLB but has a ton of upside with that big athletic frame no doubt.  

It is hard to find good LB play regardless of the class, just look at the true freshman linebackers this year, not a ton stood out to me at all.  It is hard to get the big guys also who have the typical size for a linebacker yet the speed to go and make plays.  Will be interesting what the Miami FL backers do, they are talented as a group and deep, will see if they come back for another year or not, a few could be drafted no doubt but not sure just how high, Quarterman and Pinckney have been productive for awhile just not sure how elite they are.  Surprisingly the backups play for them also, Mike Smith is very athletic and powerful RS SR, rarely gets to play but looks like he has some explosive athletic ability at times.  

On 12/27/2018 at 1:42 PM, TheVillain112 said:

• Devin White (LSU)
  • Devin Bush (Michigan)
  • Joe Giles Harris (Duke)
  • Deshaun Davis (Auburn)
  • Te’von Coney (ND)

• Devin White (LSU)
  • Devin Bush (Michigan)

Oof. I get potential and all, but are you guys only watching his good games? I think him declaring (which will happen) is best for both him and the Gators. He was not a reliable player for us. He hung our defense out to dry a lot.

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Oof. I get potential and all, but are you guys only watching his good games? I think him declaring (which will happen) is best for both him and the Gators. He was not a reliable player for us. He hung our defense out to dry a lot.

I think Joseph would be better off coming back to school for another year to get a little stronger at the point of attack.  But the kid is athletic and was easily the best playmaking linebacker on the team this year.  Sure did his aggressive play give up yards at times yeah, but it also helped just as much as it hurt in terms of tackles for loss and sacks.  Kid can run around and had his best season of his Florida career so far, I think he was a lot more impactful this year compared to last year, will see if he leaves or not.  

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think Joseph would be better off coming back to school for another year to get a little stronger at the point of attack.  But the kid is athletic and was easily the best playmaking linebacker on the team this year.  Sure did his aggressive play give up yards at times yeah, but it also helped just as much as it hurt in terms of tackles for loss and sacks.  Kid can run around and had his best season of his Florida career so far, I think he was a lot more impactful this year compared to last year, will see if he leaves or not.  

He's leaving. I have that on good authority. His aggressive play didn't help the team as much as it hurt. He blew a number of coverages, he missed a lot of tackles, and he ran himself out of a lot of plays. He had great games like LSU and Michigan, but his bad games were extremely bad. 

On 12/27/2018 at 5:01 PM, Ozzy said:

Paddy Fisher and Joe Bachie have big time potential as ILBs, love the speed of Bachie and the size of Fisher but will see if they come out.

Yup. Bachie is a freaking savage. Paddy Fisher is excellent at diagnosing plays, but needs to get stronger at the point of attack. Fisher is a superb tackler and won't miss even the most elusive players in the NFL.

18 hours ago, jrry32 said:

What games would you advise I watch because you're probably right.  Also, you have to understand that the Bengals probably need 5 LBs this offseason.  We have guys playing LB that I'm faster than...

7 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

What games would you advise I watch because you're probably right.  Also, you have to understand that the Bengals probably need 5 LBs this offseason.  We have guys playing LB that I'm faster than...

Kentucky, UGA, Missouri, and FSU are games I remember him making frustrating mistakes in. He looked like a special player against LSU and Michigan, but he was never consistent or reliable. If somebody can get him to play assignment-sound football and play under control with his tackling (takes bad angles, overruns plays, and misses tackles because he is out of control), he could be a special LB. But that's a huge if.

Archived