2019 NFL Draft - Secondary

Forge

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Someone give me some hope for this corner class. 

Byron Murphy sure is small but he is one where I think it would be difficult for him to struggle in the pass happy NFL.  His physical limitations and size in tackling are not as important and the kid is smooth in coverage, could play the boundary or field corner and no doubt play the slot corner or nickel corner as well.  There is a ton to like about him in pass coverage.  And Julian Love I did not like how much he got beat as a SOPH but he improved a lot as a JR and his tackling ability is special.  Think how great he could be if he gets moved back to safety similar to a Malcolm Jenkins type with his coverage skills as a corner.  

So yeah in coverage overall Murphy is arguably the best and in terms of tackling Love is probably the best overall at CB.

18 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Chauncey is a baller. I'll be interested to see how he does at the Combine. He's not a slot CB at the NFL level. But I think he'll be a very good safety if given time. He's like a lower middle class man's Minkah Fitzpatrick, and that's not meant as a dig.

20 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah the range he showed in that bowl game against Michigan was really standout, the ground he covered in those interceptions was pretty outstanding much less the TD.  Is a good hitter as well, for sure 2nd round pick no doubt.  Has been a NFL prospect since he was a freshman, kid can play and clearly went out in that bowl games with one of the best of his career.  

On 2/20/2019 at 7:49 PM, Ozzy said:

Byron Murphy sure is small but he is one where I think it would be difficult for him to struggle in the pass happy NFL.  His physical limitations and size in tackling are not as important and the kid is smooth in coverage, could play the boundary or field corner and no doubt play the slot corner or nickel corner as well.  There is a ton to like about him in pass coverage.  And Julian Love I did not like how much he got beat as a SOPH but he improved a lot as a JR and his tackling ability is special.  Think how great he could be if he gets moved back to safety similar to a Malcolm Jenkins type with his coverage skills as a corner.  

So yeah in coverage overall Murphy is arguably the best and in terms of tackling Love is probably the best overall at CB.

I think Murphy, along with Love, is one of the better tacklers out of this CB class.

Wind_tunnel.gif

This guy is not getting the love he should be.  Over basically being a 4 year starter had 274 solo tackles and 454 total tackles, 25 TFL, 4 sacks, 10 INTs, 5 FF over his career.  He is moved around a ton, plays back deep a lot in coverage and in the box and in the slot.  Versatile player, will be very curious how he times out at the combine, did not quite have the season I thought he could but he does have a lot of potential and with his tackling ability and versatility as a safety he could be a fine pro for many years. 

Andrew Wingard was apparently 5-11, 143 pounds as a sophomore in high school in Colorado.   Turned into quite the football player and if anything is 12th all time in the history of college football in total tackles.  Might not mean pro success but will see, I think in the right system the kid can play and do well.  Originally I thought he could maybe be a 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder but now I think for sure would be a solid 3rd or 4th rounder.  Again will see how he does at the combine.  

2 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

I think Murphy, along with Love, is one of the better tacklers out of this CB class.

I agree he is not a terrible tackler but depending on who he is going up against his size does limit him in that regard.  He is not no Antoine Winfield out there who is small yet is a tackling machine and can get almost anyone any size to the ground.  Murphy does get some big hits but that is because of his great anticipation and quickness, gets there quickly and either breaks up the pass or hits right as the ball is being caught.  If Murphy is one on one with a large RB in the open field I do not think he would be hitting the same way as he does with a WR with their back to him.  

But yeah he is not a terrible tackler true.  

I like David Long, but he doesn't look 5'11. Looks more like 5'10". Maybe he's just lining up against 6'2" wr's a lot, but he seems smaller than his listed 5'11 198 lbs. I like his footwork and agility. He could be a really good slot CB. Seems like he loses track of the ball outside, but he's usually in the WR's hip pocket.

On 21/02/2019 at 7:17 PM, deathstar said:

What do you guys think of Amani Hooker?

Seems pretty overrated to me.  He looks the part, has a good frame and moves well.  There's some production there, and he does seem to see the field and have pretty good instincts that put him in the right areas most of the time.  But i have some real issues with his tackling and physicality from what i've seen.  Doesn't seem like a very reliable solo tackler, and frankly...often just doesn't seem very interested in tackling at all.  Lots of checking up and watching others make tackles, pile watching, jumping in late for a token "assist".  Honestly kinda wonder if he's just a bit soft.  Not really what i want in a safety, but if you can work that out...there are certainly tools to work with there.

One of those players who can put together a heck of a highlight reel, but sorta goes downhill the more you actually watch him.

On 2/21/2019 at 9:53 PM, Ozzy said:

I agree he is not a terrible tackler but depending on who he is going up against his size does limit him in that regard.  He is not no Antoine Winfield out there who is small yet is a tackling machine and can get almost anyone any size to the ground.  Murphy does get some big hits but that is because of his great anticipation and quickness, gets there quickly and either breaks up the pass or hits right as the ball is being caught.  If Murphy is one on one with a large RB in the open field I do not think he would be hitting the same way as he does with a WR with their back to him.  

But yeah he is not a terrible tackler true.  

I guess I don't like the idea of taking a pure zone cornerback that is going to concede the flats in most cases and then have to make a tackle--something he does struggle with--in space. He's not the worst tackler in the world, but he's also not good at it either. It's a flaw, but not a critical one he has. I think the fact that he is not a fit for a press or off-man team is what should roast his stock. I have him as a late 2nd rounder where I've seen people mock him as high as #5 to Tampa. That seems insane to me!

On 2/25/2019 at 10:50 AM, Jeezla said:

I like David Long, but he doesn't look 5'11. Looks more like 5'10". Maybe he's just lining up against 6'2" wr's a lot, but he seems smaller than his listed 5'11 198 lbs. I like his footwork and agility. He could be a really good slot CB. Seems like he loses track of the ball outside, but he's usually in the WR's hip pocket.

I like him too. He's grabby, but he's very effective in press. I also like the slot/boundary versatility.

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I guess I don't like the idea of taking a pure zone cornerback that is going to concede the flats in most cases and then have to make a tackle--something he does struggle with--in space. He's not the worst tackler in the world, but he's also not good at it either. It's a flaw, but not a critical one he has. I think the fact that he is not a fit for a press or off-man team is what should roast his stock. I have him as a late 2nd rounder where I've seen people mock him as high as #5 to Tampa. That seems insane to me!

I think Murphy is very similar to Denzel Ward and could go as high. 

His feet and quickness in man, and his click/close, awareness in zone are top notch. Plucks the ball like a receiver.

For his size he's a good tackler who lights guys up when gets a bead on them. If anything, he's over aggressive tackling, which is just coaching and discipline. He also reminds me a bunch of Dunta Robinson.

..and he's just a RS Soph.

Archived