2019 NFL Draft - Secondary

Forge

On 10/30/2018 at 7:30 AM, Ozzy said:

Are you a relative to this guy or something?  I would be shocked to see him declare, he does not really standout when I watch Clemson. Is a little slow at safety and maybe could be a special teams guy at then next level or a converted undersized linebacker for coverage.  But he should come back for another year, is not an elite enough talent to come out early I feel.  

He's a 2-yr starter on a high profile defense. Not quite sure what's odd about asking an opinion on him.

8 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

He's a 2-yr starter on a high profile defense. Not quite sure what's odd about asking an opinion on him.

He is probably the worst player of the starting lineup in my opinion, and usually playing with great talent does make ones job even easier and sometimes makes players look better than they are.  I do not view him as a early entry guy in terms of a draft in any way right now and have rarely thought he was a impressive prospect based on his play.   What about his play makes him standout to you?   Outside of at times being a decent hitter and having potential as a special teams player who gives good effort...

50 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Who is the best centerfielder type safety in this class?

I would say it is these guys in this order.  If one wants a little more tackling skill Johnson is probably the best combo, if one wants pure versatility in coverage I would say Rapp even though most of these guys are also very good around the line of scrimmage as well making plays for a variety of different levels.  

Jaquan Johnson Miami FL
Taylor Rapp Washington JR
Andrew Wingard Wyoming
Juan Thornhill Virginia
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson Florida JR
Mike Edwards Kentucky
JR Reed Georgia RS JR
Johnathan Adram Miss State
Jontrell Rocquemore Utah State RS
Marvell Tell III USC
Robbie Grimsley NDSU
Sheldrick Redwine Miami FL
Jojo McIntosh Washington RS
D'Cota Dixon Wisconsin
Jake Gervase Iowa
Deshawn Capers-Smith Texas A&M
Donovan Wilson Texas A&M

Versatility is the name of the game, sure sometimes there is a safety that just sits deep back in coverage but rarely, most do both and play around the line of scrimmage, in the slot and deep back in coverage.  If you are talking specifically for the Vikings at safety, a lot of these guys could work as a safety if they want to move on from Sendejo, but that does depend on how they feel Kearse is progressing and he has done some things this year and Iloka has potential long term back there as well.

Just straight coverage on coverage ability alone I feel it would be clearly Rapp as the best one.  Thornhill is coming on strong as well, former corner and has fine ball skills and having a real breakout season I feel.  

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I would say it is these guys in this order.  If one wants a little more tackling skill Johnson is probably the best combo, if one wants pure versatility in coverage I would say Rapp even though most of these guys are also very good around the line of scrimmage as well making plays for a variety of different levels.  

Jaquan Johnson Miami FL
Taylor Rapp Washington JR
Andrew Wingard Wyoming
Juan Thornhill Virginia
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson Florida JR
Mike Edwards Kentucky
JR Reed Georgia RS JR
Johnathan Adram Miss State
Jontrell Rocquemore Utah State RS
Marvell Tell III USC
Robbie Grimsley NDSU
Sheldrick Redwine Miami FL
Jojo McIntosh Washington RS
D'Cota Dixon Wisconsin
Jake Gervase Iowa
Deshawn Capers-Smith Texas A&M
Donovan Wilson Texas A&M

Versatility is the name of the game, sure sometimes there is a safety that just sits deep back in coverage but rarely, most do both and play around the line of scrimmage, in the slot and deep back in coverage.  If you are talking specifically for the Vikings at safety, a lot of these guys could work as a safety if they want to move on from Sendejo, but that does depend on how they feel Kearse is progressing and he has done some things this year and Iloka has potential long term back there as well.

Just straight coverage on coverage ability alone I feel it would be clearly Rapp as the best one.  Thornhill is coming on strong as well, former corner and has fine ball skills and having a real breakout season I feel.  

Awesome thanks!

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

Deionte Thompson 

I think with his length and athletic ability I would want him around the box more than back centerfield in coverage.  He is a very physical tackler I feel with good athletic ability in coverage but is best moved around the field not just back deep.  But could say that about a lot of the safeties, few are asked to just stay deep anyways anymore.  Thompson is a 1st round talent no doubt.

On 10/27/2018 at 12:47 PM, freak_of_nature said:

When could Tanner Muse be drafted if he declared for 19'?

Muse sucked last year and the start of this year, but has been playing really well the last few games.  I don't think he should declare, but Clemson has had safeties declare that were shocking decisions the past few years (TJ Green, Van Smith).  Van Smith never made it, Green went 2nd round (even more shocking than his decision), was cut within 2 years and retired at 23.

Trayvon Mullen is the underclassmen to watch in Clemson's secondary.  He should declare.

3 hours ago, PAW said:

Muse sucked last year and the start of this year, but has been playing really well the last few games.  I don't think he should declare, but Clemson has had safeties declare that were shocking decisions the past few years (TJ Green, Van Smith).  Van Smith never made it, Green went 2nd round (even more shocking than his decision), was cut within 2 years and retired at 23.

For some reason I thought Muse was 6'3.

On 11/10/2018 at 3:17 PM, PAW said:

Trayvon Mullen is the underclassmen to watch in Clemson's secondary.  He should declare.

I agree.   Muse honestly had probably the best game of his career against BC yesterday.  Still I would be shocked to see him be able to become a NFL safety, my guess is he converts to OLB with that size.  Good tackler but still might only be a special teams guy.  And you brought up Van Smith, if freaking he cannot even be drafted, Muse might have a hard time will see.  No way Muse should come out this year, he needs another year for sure.

Mullen I like and has improved, that Clemson unit has improved a lot in the secondary, especially after getting beat down by A&M earlier in the year which was a big surprise.  They have got better but Mullen is not the best DB on the team though, Terrell is by far to me.  I do not think Mullen should declare but of course he might, would not be the best choice though he still has some things to show in my book.  Tre Lamar physically looks totally the part but that entire group of course is helped big time playing behind that DL which is just dominating.  

3 hours ago, sherm said:

I like Lukas Denis.

He has good range it seems but lacks play making ability I feel, needs to make more plays and show up more consistently as a tackler.  Was moving around against Clemson for sure, showed good range but did not impact the game overall a ton.  John Johnson from BC was a way better prospect at safety than Denis I feel.  I had Johnson as a 1st rounder potentially at times that year he came out, kid has a lot of ability and corner skills as well for a safety.  

Archived