2019 NFL Draft - Secondary

Forge

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I agree.   Muse honestly had probably the best game of his career against BC yesterday.  Still I would be shocked to see him be able to become a NFL safety, my guess is he converts to OLB with that size.  Good tackler but still might only be a special teams guy.  And you brought up Van Smith, if freaking he cannot even be drafted, Muse might have a hard time will see.  No way Muse should come out this year, he needs another year for sure.

Mullen I like and has improved, that Clemson unit has improved a lot in the secondary, especially after getting beat down by A&M earlier in the year which was a big surprise.  They have got better but Mullen is not the best DB on the team though, Terrell is by far to me.  I do not think Mullen should declare but of course he might, would not be the best choice though he still has some things to show in my book.  Tre Lamar physically looks totally the part but that entire group of course is helped big time playing behind that DL which is just dominating.  

He has good range it seems but lacks play making ability I feel, needs to make more plays and show up more consistently as a tackler.  Was moving around against Clemson for sure, showed good range but did not impact the game overall a ton.  John Johnson from BC was a way better prospect at safety than Denis I feel.  I had Johnson as a 1st rounder potentially at times that year he came out, kid has a lot of ability and corner skills as well for a safety.  

Terrell is a true sophomore which is why I didn’t mention him. But yes he is a better prospect than Mullen. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm beginning to like this DB class more and more. There are a lot of high potential guys available.

Why isn't Trevon Diggs getting more press? He's friggin good and plays for one of the best programs in the country. He is in the same tier as DeAndre Baker and Greedy Williams and could end up in the top half of R1.

16 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'm beginning to like this DB class more and more. There are a lot of high potential guys available.

Why isn't Trevon Diggs getting more press? He's friggin good and plays for one of the best programs in the country. He is in the same tier as DeAndre Baker and Greedy Williams and could end up in the top half of R1.

Didn't get much playing time til this year then got hurt relatively early in the season (after playing some great ball) More unknown that the other top guys. Has the talent but never really had the chance at the production to know if he can translate it to the field.

On 11/30/2018 at 12:07 AM, BleedTheClock said:

Cause he’s injured & has finally started playing good this year. Besides, give me Byron Murphy over DeAndre & Greedy.

Any thoughts on Khari Willis out of Michigan State? Tough defender and a leader on the field. Decent ball skills and reliable in coverage. He’s a physical guy that’s been coached up to become another good Spartan out of the backfield. He hasn’t lived up to the hype, but there’s definitely something there with him.

On 10/26/2018 at 9:01 PM, sp6488 said:

Darnell Savage (Sr.) and Antoine Brooks, Jr. (Jr.) from Maryland should both be draftable.  

Savage isn't getting enough hype. He reminds me a bit of Mathieu.  Tenacious hitter and playmaker.

6 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

Surprised no ones talked about Justin Layne from Michigan State. Great ball skills and has exceptional length at 6’3”. Would love to see the Bears target him in round 3-4 

I'd absolutely be in on him too if he declares. Not sure he will and I think he's only a jr (though the most recent I've heard is that he's leaning toward declaring, not sure how reliable it is, however). He's still a bit raw having converted just a couple of years, so there's quite a bit of upside there. I'd love the niners to take a shot on him as well. I'd take him in the third without much thought behind it if I were them. 

23 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

Surprised no ones talked about Justin Layne from Michigan State. Great ball skills and has exceptional length at 6’3”. Would love to see the Bears target him in round 3-4 

Coached against this dude when he was in High School. Played on the same team with Jerome Baker, who ran the ball with Layne as a WR. That was a fun day for us.....

He's not 6'3, first off. More like 6'1 at best. Secondly, he is very good. I love how he sticks to WR's like glue and has no problem transitioning and snapping off on routes just like the WR's he's defending do. He's twitchy which is rare for a dude of his size. Very smooth cover guy, but doesn't really do a great job ATTACKING the ball like some other DB's in this class do. He's good, but I think he struggles a bit when the ball is in the air. I do think he goes in the 3rd round or so.

I'm fully expecting a Denzel Ward type pre-draft rise for DeAndre Baker. To me, he's far and away the best corner in this draft despite not being the 6'+ ideal. Why do people not think he's good? He basically shut down Deebo Samuel and Marquise Brown when lined up against them.

Greedy, to me, is not a complete corner. He's not good in run support and he so often plays 10+ yards off the ball. I think he'll have a tough time with the proliferation of the smaller and quicker receivers in the NFL.

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm fully expecting a Denzel Ward type pre-draft rise for DeAndre Baker. To me, he's far and away the best corner in this draft despite not being the 6'+ ideal. Why do people not think he's good? He basically shut down Deebo Samuel and Marquise Brown when lined up against them.

Greedy, to me, is not a complete corner. He's not good in run support and he so often plays 10+ yards off the ball. I think he'll have a tough time with the proliferation of the smaller and quicker receivers in the NFL.

I love Baker, but I don't think he goes top 10, let alone top 5. My guess is 15 - 25 range. He's really talented, though.

Archived