2019 NFL Draft - Secondary

Forge

Have we been watching same Jaquan Johnson?

Jaquan is a good prospect, but I don’t think he’s nowhere near the center fielder Thompson is or has the upside Thornhill has. I trust him near the LOS than I do playing center fielder, even though he’s not bad there. Similar to Taylor Rapp, even though I even like Rapp more than Johnson.

6 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Have we been watching same Jaquan Johnson?

Jaquan is a good prospect, but I don’t think he’s nowhere near the center fielder Thompson is or has the upside Thornhill has. I trust him near the LOS than I do playing center fielder, even though he’s not bad there. Similar to Taylor Rapp, even though I even like Rapp more than Johnson.

True, Rapp one could easily argue is the best FS in the draft.  But Rapp like Johnson can play near the line of scrimmage as well and make plays in the slot if need be also.  Both are pretty similar but I would give a slight athletic edge to Johnson but it is close.  With Johnson though like I said he could be a fine SS or a good FS.  Thompson I think is best around the line of scrimmage not just a true deep safety for coverage mainly, same with Thornhill.  Johnson can do such a variety of things and is as good of a tackler as any of these other top safeties in space.  

With that being said Grant Delpit to me is the best safety in the nation, but is only a true sophomore obviously.  And Alohio Gilman is arguably best tackling safety in terms of pure power and grit I feel and he is a RS SOPH, will see if he comes out early or not.  Mike Bell is a potential riser at safety also but he might come back for his senior year at Fresno State, will see.

25 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True, Rapp one could easily argue is the best FS in the draft.  But Rapp like Johnson can play near the line of scrimmage as well and make plays in the slot if need be also.  Both are pretty similar but I would give a slight athletic edge to Johnson but it is close.  With Johnson though like I said he could be a fine SS or a good FS.  Thompson I think is best around the line of scrimmage not just a true deep safety for coverage mainly, same with Thornhill  Johnson can do such a variety of things and is as good of a tackler as any of these other top safeties in space.  

With that being said Grant Delpit to me is the best safety in the nation, but is only a true sophomore obviously.  And Alohio Gilman is arguably best tackling safety in terms of pure power and grit I feel and he is a RS SOPH, will see if he comes out early or not.  Mike Bell is a potential riser at safety also but he might come back for his senior year at Fresno State, will see.

I heavily disagree here. I think Thompson is the best deep Safety since Hooker & has rarely played bad since he started in the playoffs last year. Thornhill isn’t as good, but he’s better than Jaquan at it. Honestly, I don’t know a single thing Jaquan does better than either of the two. He’s REALLY good at coming downhill & he might be better than Thornhill at it, but that’s it.

17 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

I heavily disagree here. I think Thompson is the best deep Safety since Hooker & has rarely played bad since he started in the playoffs last year. Thornhill isn’t as good, but he’s better than Jaquan at it. Honestly, I don’t know a single thing Jaquan does better than either of the two. He’s REALLY good at coming downhill & he might be better than Thornhill at it, but that’s it.

You're not watching the tape if you don't think Jaquan Johnson is a stud. He's one of the best safeties I've ever evaluated at breaking on the QB's throws and robbing underneath zones. He is excellent at disguising coverages and baiting QB's into bad decisions. He's as sound of a tackler as they come and is capable of making splash plays in literally every area of the field. He plays HARD, is a team leader, has great lateral and vertical speed, and has excellent ball skills. I am not sure where you are getting that he isn't a beast other than his injury history and his size.

I like Thompson and find that he's never out of position, but he also doesn't make very many plays when the football goes up. He isn't the headiest of deep safeties and doesn't seem to read the QB's eyes very well. He is excellent coming down and making sure-fire tackles and has more length and arguably athleticism than Johnson, but he's nowhere near the polished cerebral player right now.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

You're not watching the tape if you don't think Jaquan Johnson is a stud. He's one of the best safeties I've ever evaluated at breaking on the QB's throws and robbing underneath zones. He is excellent at disguising coverages and baiting QB's into bad decisions. He's as sound of a tackler as they come and is capable of making splash plays in literally every area of the field. He plays HARD, is a team leader, has great lateral and vertical speed, and has excellent ball skills. I am not sure where you are getting that he isn't a beast other than his injury history and his size.

I like Thompson and find that he's never out of position, but he also doesn't make very many plays when the football goes up. He isn't the headiest of deep safeties and doesn't seem to read the QB's eyes very well. He is excellent coming down and making sure-fire tackles and has more length and arguably athleticism than Johnson, but he's nowhere near the polished cerebral player right now.

Excellent ball skills?

He legit didn’t touch a ball until against Duke in November. That was his only PBU/INT of the season. I honestly think his ball skills are the weakest part of his game. 

He’s not bad. I think he’s good, but I don’t think he’s some bonafide stud or anything. He’s great at coming downfield & laying the wood, no doubt about that at all. As far as a center fielder though? I think he’s very limited there. I don’t think his instincts are great either.

Minus the frame part, you could literally switch what you said about Thompson & Johnson & it would be 99% accurate, imo. 

Jaquan is borderline top 5 Safety in my rankings.

1 hour ago, ClutchDJ said:

He legit didn’t touch a ball until against Duke in November. That was his only PBU/INT of the season. I honestly think his ball skills are the weakest part of his game. 

Gotta watch his 2017 stuff. He clearly has ball skills. He was injured for a large portion of his senior season, which would explain his lack of ball production. Roast him for size or injury history, sure. But I can't agree with you that he's incapable of being a playmaking centerfielder.

1 hour ago, NoDakViking said:

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson should be able to play that role nicely. Not great in coverage, but good enough to play some underneath zone and pick up an H, TE, RB in man. He basically does what Minkah Fitzpatrick did last year for Alabama, just not nearly as well.

On 12/18/2018 at 7:34 PM, NoDakViking said:

Not sure if he could do much of the LB stuff, but Nasir Adderley is going to be a steal for someone playing corner, safety, or any role in between.

If Khaleke Hudson declares he would be a great fit as a LB/S hybrid, no CB coverage skills with him though

3 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Not sure if he could do much of the LB stuff, but Nasir Adderley is going to be a steal for someone playing corner, safety, or any role in between.

If Khaleke Hudson declares he would be a great fit as a LB/S hybrid, no CB coverage skills with him though

I was up on Nasir before the season started and thought he was an under the radar guy but his name is ringing bells on every website...he checks every box on the Draft Network  and they grade tough. I am hoping he finds a home..back home in PHILLY!

Just now, byrdbrane said:

I was up on Nasir before the season started and thought he was an under the radar guy but his name is ringing bells on every website...he checks every box on the Draft Network  and they grade tough. I am hoping he finds a home..back home in PHILLY!

yeah I had him on my watchlist before the season after seeing him make plays when I was watching Bilal Nichols. Watched his film from last year, the athletic ability was obvious, definitely looked like a player to keep an eye on. I figured before the season he'd assert himself as a 4th or 5th round pick. Now with the film this year you get to see just how smart of a player he is playing at safety, almost never makes the wrong decision, really solid tackler, plays hard and aggressive. I'd take him in the 2nd, I saw that Jon Ledyard put him in the 1st round of his mock, and honestly, I can't blame him. Hard not to get excited about a 5'11" 200lb athlete that shows great athletic ability and has shown he can, at least mentally, handle playing both corner and safety. I should have told Jon about him early in the season before he had a chance to discover him, he probably would have got his eyes on him then and got the hype train rolling earlier. 

2 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

yeah I had him on my watchlist before the season after seeing him make plays when I was watching Bilal Nichols. Watched his film from last year, the athletic ability was obvious, definitely looked like a player to keep an eye on. I figured before the season he'd assert himself as a 4th or 5th round pick. Now with the film this year you get to see just how smart of a player he is playing at safety, almost never makes the wrong decision, really solid tackler, plays hard and aggressive. I'd take him in the 2nd, I saw that Jon Ledyard put him in the 1st round of his mock, and honestly, I can't blame him. Hard not to get excited about a 5'11" 200lb athlete that shows great athletic ability and has shown he can, at least mentally, handle playing both corner and safety. I should have told Jon about him early in the season before he had a chance to discover him, he probably would have got his eyes on him then and got the hype train rolling earlier. 

From what you have seen, how does Nas hold up in man coverage? and do you think he would benefit from adding 10lbs to his frame?

Just now, byrdbrane said:

From what you have seen, how does Nas hold up in man coverage? and do you think he would benefit from adding 10lbs to his frame?

Man coverage a little difficult to judge at a lower level, just because you're not really seeing him play against elite route-runners, but I'd be more than comfortable with him there based on what he's done, his athletic tools, etc. He's playing in the senior bowl, which is going to be huge for him. I hope they let him work at corner and safety to get a really good look at him. I'd say he's at a good size/weight if you want him at corner, if anything I might have him cut down just a little bit. If you want him at safety or in a hybrid role, I'd say about 5-10lbs sound like a good increase. These guys are still growing at their age though, so adding any weight shouldn't be difficult for him. Not something I would worry about with him though, he's about as solid of a 200lb as you can be. 

10 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Man coverage a little difficult to judge at a lower level, just because you're not really seeing him play against elite route-runners, but I'd be more than comfortable with him there based on what he's done, his athletic tools, etc. He's playing in the senior bowl, which is going to be huge for him. I hope they let him work at corner and safety to get a really good look at him. I'd say he's at a good size/weight if you want him at corner, if anything I might have him cut down just a little bit. If you want him at safety or in a hybrid role, I'd say about 5-10lbs sound like a good increase. These guys are still growing at their age though, so adding any weight shouldn't be difficult for him. Not something I would worry about with him though, he's about as solid of a 200lb as you can be. 

my armchair scouting is always Eagles leaning...when I saw him and read he has a high football IQ- I automatically envisioned him as a Malcom Jenkins understudy (Malcolm probably has 1-2 more years left im him) and he could easily play the 3rd safety spot (the 3rd safety gets a good amount of snaps in Jim Schwartz defense)

Archived