2019 NFL Draft - Secondary

Forge

On 12/22/2018 at 7:26 PM, brownie man said:

Deandre Baker to me doesn’t come off as a number 1 corner. 

To me it looks like his best position in the league is probably FS. Great skills in finding the ball but I don’t see NFL man cover skills from him. 

Why? He's excellent in man coverage, can play press, and sticks to guys like glue even on double moves. He's awesome as a CB prospect if you watch the tape. You might not like his size and speed, as those are merely average for the position, but he's been superb on tape, shutting down some of the most talented WR's in the nation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 2:47 PM, ttitansfan4life said:

Whoever drafts Jaquan Johnson will be set at one safety spot for the next 10-12 years. Only reason he’s not a top 15 pick is size and athletic traits but the talent and production is there. 

Wow I just watched Johnson today and didn’t like him at all.  Seemed very meh.  Good frame, physical box safety but stiff as a board and I don’t think he can stand up in coverage at all.  Sure he’s a good box safety but he’s not Jammal Adams or even Ronnie Harrison level good as an in the box safety.  How much is that worth in the modern NFL?  Curious what you saw with him.

Also, I LOVE the Maryland Safety Darnell Savage. Super twitchy, can man up vs slot WRs, great closing burst, really good play recognition, and plays with a physical and aggressive personality.  I think he’s my S1 if Thompson goes back to Bama.

3 hours ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Also, I LOVE the Maryland Safety Darnell Savage. Super twitchy, can man up vs slot WRs, great closing burst, really good play recognition, and plays with a physical and aggressive personality.  I think he’s my S1 if Thompson goes back to Bama.

Savage takes horrendous angles in run support. That's my gripe with him.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:10 PM, Chwf3rd25 said:

Wow I just watched Johnson today and didn’t like him at all.  Seemed very meh.  Good frame, physical box safety but stiff as a board and I don’t think he can stand up in coverage at all.  Sure he’s a good box safety but he’s not Jammal Adams or even Ronnie Harrison level good as an in the box safety.

There's a lot wrong with this IMO.

1. He's most certainly not stiff as a board. He's extremely quick and fast and has demonstrated this on several occasions. I've never heard this be a critique of his. He is so good at robbing routes in underneath zones because of his quickness. There have been times where he lined up in a 2-high look and picked off outside WR quick hitches. His breaks are extremely crisp. He's going to run a low 4.5 at the absolute worst and his 3-cone & shuttle times are going to be near the top for the safeties.

2. Why would you believe he wouldn't stand up in coverage? He played a ton of snaps at Miami and hardly EVER got beat deep and never got mossed by bigger WR's. He's been excellent in coverage all throughout his career.

3. Jamal Adams is a superfreak. Not many people ever are Jamal Adams. Secondly, Ronnie Harrison? Harrison didn't even play box safety in college. They used him as a FS and had Fitzpatrick play SS/NCB 90% of the time. Harrison didn't really play a whole lot for JAX this season and when he did, he was meh. I'm not sure why you're using Ronnie Harrison as a comparison.

So the only real criticism I agree with you on is that he isn't a Jamal Adams kind of run defender. He's still a great run defender and is someone that you can trust to lead your defense in the back end. He doesn't get beat deep and has big-time playmaking ability robbing underneath zones. He's going to be best on a cover 2 team that won't ask him to roll down and cover TE's consitently. That's the only real area of concern I'd have for him...is that he's pretty small to be covering the Gronks of the world.

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

There's a lot wrong with this IMO.

1. He's most certainly not stiff as a board. He's extremely quick and fast and has demonstrated this on several occasions. I've never heard this be a critique of his. He is so good at robbing routes in underneath zones because of his quickness. There have been times where he lined up in a 2-high look and picked off outside WR quick hitches. His breaks are extremely crisp. He's going to run a low 4.5 at the absolute worst and his 3-cone & shuttle times are going to be near the top for the safeties.

2. Why would you believe he wouldn't stand up in coverage? He played a ton of snaps at Miami and hardly EVER got beat deep and never got mossed by bigger WR's. He's been excellent in coverage all throughout his career.

3. Jamal Adams is a superfreak. Not many people ever are Jamal Adams. Secondly, Ronnie Harrison? Harrison didn't even play box safety in college. They used him as a FS and had Fitzpatrick play SS/NCB 90% of the time. Harrison didn't really play a whole lot for JAX this season and when he did, he was meh. I'm not sure why you're using Ronnie Harrison as a comparison.

So the only real criticism I agree with you on is that he isn't a Jamal Adams kind of run defender. He's still a great run defender and is someone that you can trust to lead your defense in the back end. He doesn't get beat deep and has big-time playmaking ability robbing underneath zones. He's going to be best on a cover 2 team that won't ask him to roll down and cover TE's consitently. That's the only real area of concern I'd have for him...is that he's pretty small to be covering the Gronks of the world.

Literally took me 5 seconds to find a source with the same criticisms as me

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/23/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-jaquan-johnson/

On 1/30/2019 at 6:04 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Juan Thornhill best safety in this class?

Jaquan Johnson.

And then Taylor Rapp. Neither are your traditional rangy free safeties, but both are rock solid in coverage along with being elite at making plays in the run game. Both are sure-fire tacklers, team leaders, and play mistake-free football. You might be more intrigued with the upside of guys like Deionte Thompson or even Juan Thornhill, but Johnson and Rapp are better football players. Fundamentally speaking, both are elite. Physically speaking, neither one possesses elite quickness, but they both have average-above average speed. Both are elite in terms of taking angles both in coverage and in run support. Both can consistently knock you backwards at the point of contact.

Jaquan Johnson is a little bit better of an athlete, but Rapp is physically larger and does not have the injury history that Johnson does. And I'm not going to knock a defensive back for QB's not throwing him the football, but Rapp did have more ball production in college than Johnson.

Those are you two best safeties if you're looking for consistency and guys that do what the position asks: Be the last line of defense (make tackles, don't get beat deep, play smart). If you're looking for the great athlete that makes splash plays in coverage, you might lean Thornhill. But looking at consistency and versatility, Johnson and Rapp are much better IMO.

32 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Jaquan Johnson.

And then Taylor Rapp. Neither are your traditional rangy free safeties, but both are rock solid in coverage along with being elite at making plays in the run game. Both are sure-fire tacklers, team leaders, and play mistake-free football. You might be more intrigued with the upside of guys like Deionte Thompson or even Juan Thornhill, but Johnson and Rapp are better football players. Fundamentally speaking, both are elite. Physically speaking, neither one possesses elite quickness, but they both have average-above average speed. Both are elite in terms of taking angles both in coverage and in run support. Both can consistently knock you backwards at the point of contact.

Jaquan Johnson is a little bit better of an athlete, but Rapp is physically larger and does not have the injury history that Johnson does. And I'm not going to knock a defensive back for QB's not throwing him the football, but Rapp did have more ball production in college than Johnson.

Those are you two best safeties if you're looking for consistency and guys that do what the position asks: Be the last line of defense (make tackles, don't get beat deep, play smart). If you're looking for the great athlete that makes splash plays in coverage, you might lean Thornhill. But looking at consistency and versatility, Johnson and Rapp are much better IMO.

Meh I think jj will get picked on by bigger we/te because of his size

rapp lacks the coverage skills Juan has imo but Rapp offers more in run defense. Juan being a ex cb also intrigues me cause he can guard wrs also.

I really like reed the safety from uga 

i think d Thompson isn’t as good as advertised and wouldn’t touch him till the 2nd round 

1 minute ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh I think jj will get picked on by bigger we/te because of his size

rapp lacks the coverage skills Juan has imo but Rapp offers more in run defense. 

I really like reed the safety from uga 

i think d Thompson isn’t as good as advertised and wouldn’t touch him till the 2nd round 

Thompson is boo boo

Archived