2019 NFL Draft - Running Backs

Forge

7 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Man, I hope the injuries haven't killed Rodney Anderson. His 2017 tape is really, really good. 

Me too. It was aggravating watching him go down to injuries sooooo often as a Sooner fan.  This last time, I almost cried for the guy (yes, I admit it!). If I was frustrated, I cannot imagine what he was feeling. :(

• Like 2

9 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

If Jonathan Taylor was eligible to enter the draft this year would he be RB1?  

It kind of depends on whether or not he can catch the ball.   With today's NFL, that's as important as being an in-between the tackles runner if you want to go early.   And it goes beyond catching a screen with your back turned to the LOS (almost anyone can do that, but the threat of chunk passing RB plays is the ability to make guys miss in space, or run actual routes beyond the backfield).  

As a runner, I think he'd clearly be the top guy this year, no doubt.   Just being a 2-down bellcow, that does get devalued if there's a belief you are limited as a pass catcher.    While Sony Michel has been used as a 2-down guy, the belief coming out of college was that he'd be able to take over 3rd down work if needed (not necessary with James White this year & next barring injury).    The WIS system doesn't promote RB pass catching, so it's not like it's a lock he can'f - just more of a great unknown (we've seen MG3 become a very good pass catching RB, so it's not like it's a lock he can't, just tougher to project if he can).

36 minutes ago, Hawkeyejam said:

He's getting surprisingly little fanfare so far. Dude was best ISU back since Troy Davis. I think people get scared away by his numbers. ISU had a really bad Oline

Hate to compare but he’s the shiftiest rb I’ve seen since Charlie Garner or Barry Sanders he just makes defenders miss on a consistent basis. I love watching him run and you’re right isu had poor oline play.

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It kind of depends on whether or not he can catch the ball.   With today's NFL, that's as important as being an in-between the tackles runner if you want to go early.   And it goes beyond catching a screen with your back turned to the LOS (almost anyone can do that, but the threat of chunk passing RB plays is the ability to make guys miss in space, or run actual routes beyond the backfield).  

As a runner, I think he'd clearly be the top guy this year, no doubt.   Just being a 2-down bellcow, that does get devalued if there's a belief you are limited as a pass catcher.    While Sony Michel has been used as a 2-down guy, the belief coming out of college was that he'd be able to take over 3rd down work if needed (not necessary with James White this year & next barring injury).    The WIS system doesn't promote RB pass catching, so it's not like it's a lock he can'f - just more of a great unknown (we've seen MG3 become a very good pass catching RB, so it's not like it's a lock he can't, just tougher to project if he can).

I agree the pass catching is a big unknown but with White, Gordon, and Clement, they have shown that ability to adjust to the NFL once out of college.

Edited by badgers0821
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

I agree the pass catching is a big unknown but with White, Gordon, and Clement, they have shown that ability to adjust to the NFL once out of college.

White had 39 receptions his final year, and 73 total for his career. Taylor is great, but he's never even had double-digit catches in a single season.

8 hours ago, reamer said:

White had 39 receptions his final year, and 73 total for his career. Taylor is great, but he's never even had double-digit catches in a single season.

You completely missed my point.  None of those guys came out known for their pass catching prowess.  The point was that just because you don’t catch in college doesn’t mean you can’t in the NFL, but thanks for those stat tidbits.  

12 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

You completely missed my point.  None of those guys came out known for their pass catching prowess.  The point was that just because you don’t catch in college doesn’t mean you can’t in the NFL, but thanks for those stat tidbits.  

Yeah, but we're to assume he can catch? Justice Hill could end up becoming an elite pass blocking RB, but why would someone believe this until he showed that he was capable of doing so? I think it's more than safe to say that Taylor's receiving skills are suspect right now. He may prove to extinguish those worries in time, but as it stands right now it's a minor concern for NFL scouts. Again, I like Taylor and think he'll make for a very good starting RB for someone. He reminds me of a 100% healthy Jay Ajayi, who I'd consider to be one of the best RB's in the game if he were actually healthy and not plagued with his early injuries.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...