2019 NFL Draft - Running Backs

Forge

10 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Rodney Anderson is RB1 if he were healthy. He's good at everything and has the size and speed to be taken that high. The injury will likely force him way down into the 4th-5th round, but that creep can roll, man.

Have we even heard what his injury was?  All I remember hearing was that he hurt his leg, and that he was done for the year.

Darrell Henderson's tape was a mashup combination of Dalvin Cook and Kareem Hunt. He was obviously playing at a lower level of competition most of the time and whilst he doesn't have Cook's vision or Hunt's stiff arm, he's more dynamic than both in the open field (word is he ran a 4.3 forty in high school - we will see). There's a lot of open holes for him to hit and when he does, it's generally all over from there. He won't be so lucky facing consistently light boxes at the next level, but that's not to take away from what he can do when there's a crease. There's some boom or bust elements to his game, pass protection is also an area that has to improve. Sometimes he's slippery and surprising in the tackle, but there are other times where an arm tackle takes him down on first contact. Hands look good when catching screens, but he's not been asked to run routes to this point. He's not overly small, but there's a lack of ideal thickness in the lower-half.

If you run a ZBS heavy ground attack there's a lot of intrigue there, other teams might view him as a change of pace back. It is surprising we haven't heard more about him considering the eye-popping stats and highlight reel plays. Those tend to be the focus of evaluations until to real grind kicks in. He's definitely an incredibly fun player to watch. 

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Darrell Henderson's tape was a mashup combination of Dalvin Cook and Kareem Hunt. He was obviously playing at a lower level of competition most of the time and whilst he doesn't have Cook's vision or Hunt's stiff arm, he's more dynamic than both in the open field (word is he ran a 4.3 forty in high school - we will see). There's a lot of open holes for him to hit and when he does, it's generally all over from there. He won't be so lucky facing consistently light boxes at the next level, but that's not to take away from what he can do when there's a crease. There's some boom or bust elements to his game, pass protection is also an area that has to improve. Sometimes he's slippery and surprising in the tackle, but there are other times where an arm tackle takes him down on first contact. Hands look good when catching screens, but he's not been asked to run routes to this point. He's not overly small, but there's a lack of ideal thickness in the lower-half.

If you run a ZBS heavy ground attack there's a lot of intrigue there, other teams might view him as a change of pace back. It is surprising we haven't heard more about him considering the eye-popping stats and highlight reel plays. Those tend to be the focus of evaluations until to real grind kicks in. He's definitely an incredibly fun player to watch. 

Really like his game. Would be somewhat bold but I hope we would pick him up in the 3rd if he is available. Definitely an underrated RB much like Hunt was.

Posted this in the Raider section as some fans want Jacobs at 24 or 27. I’ll post it here and maybe one of you can reply and help me understand his hype. 

So what does everyone see in Josh Jacobs except that he is hyped up as a jack of all trades back that can be Kamara?

The Jacobs hype came out of no where.

- He is a 3 star recruit

- He is terrible at running between the tackles. 3 games in a row he ran under 2ypc and against terrible competition to boot. 

- Kamara was way better than him in college

- He averaged 5.3ypc which is not anything eye opening in college football. 

Jacobs will be decent in the NFL but spending a 1st or 2nd on him is insane. He was the 3rd best RB on his own team. (Najee Harris is the truth and I would easily take him in the 1st Round next year)

I’d rather skip RB in this class, but if we do take one, give me Damien Harris, Jacobs own teamate, in the early 3rd. 

- 5 star recruit

- Excellent at running between the tackles

- 7ypc two seasons in a row

- Solid in the passing game. Good receiver, definitely not Jacobs good of course but still solid. Way better blocker than Jacobs too. 

- Better ball carrier 

- Better vision 

The Jacobs hype came out of no where simply because everyones looking for the next Kamara. Jacobs is not Kamara level.

13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Why are you talking about their high school recruiting rankings?

How many 3 star recruits have done well in the NFL? Not many. Anything to add besides that one take? At least for RB anyways. LevBell was one. Not any other notable starter.

Edited by BayRaider

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

How many 3 star recruits have done well in the NFL? Not many. Anything to add besides that one take? At least for RB anyways. LevBell was one. Not any other notable starter.

A lot. It's a silly point. Not counting Le'Veon, you have:

Chris Carson

Phillip Lindsay

James Conner

David Johnson (not ranked)

Jordan Howard (2 star)

Kareem Hunt

Marlon Mack

Aaron Jones

Tevin Coleman

Matt Breida (2 star)

Austin Ekeler (not ranked)

Tarik Cohen (not ranked)

James White

C.J. Anderson

Rashaad Penny

Jay Ajayi

I think I'm going to stop there.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

16 of the 32 1st rounders last year were 3 star or less recruits. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Posted this in the Raider section as some fans want Jacobs at 24 or 27. I’ll post it here and maybe one of you can reply and help me understand his hype. 

Jacobs is a shorter Joe Mixon. He's an explosive, angry runner who'll block in pass pro and catch a lot of passes. He's the best Bama RB prospect since Trent Richardson. I'd wager Mayock and Gruden will love his mental/physical makeup. Gruden loves to run the ball and the Raiders don't have a starting RB at the moment.

Harris definitely fits too but he's not as quick or explosive. He's like a Gus Edwards or Jamaal Williams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrownLeader said:

Jacobs is a shorter Joe Mixon. He's an explosive, angry runner who'll block in pass pro and catch a lot of passes. He's the best Bama RB prospect since Trent Richardson. I'd wager Mayock and Gruden will love his mental/physical makeup. Gruden loves to run the ball and the Raiders don't have a starting RB at the moment.

Harris definitely fits too but he's not as quick or explosive. He's like a Gus Edwards or Jamaal Williams.

Still don’t like Jacobs between the tackles at all. Like I said, he’s no where near the next Kamara. Sign me up for Najee Harris in the 1st next year.

Edited by BayRaider

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I would love for you to point out the 3 games in a row that Jacobs had less than 2 YPC.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/joshua-jacobs-1/gamelog/2018/

1 minute ago, winitall said:

I would love for you to point out the 3 games in a row that Jacobs had less than 2 YPC.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/joshua-jacobs-1/gamelog/2018/

So you’re gonna sit here and tell me he didn’t run terribly in Weeks 2,34, and 6? Show me what makes you so confident Jacobs is a solid runner between the tackles. He’s not...

22 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

@jrry32 Concentrate on my other points, you are notorious for replying to one thing. 

I'm not debating your other points because I haven't evaluated the two HBs. I can tell you that whenever I watched Bama this year, I thought Jacobs was the superior HB, but I don't like coming to definitive conclusions on players before I individually evaluate them.  However, what I can say is that recruiting rankings are irrelevant.

EDIT: And I'm notorious for replying to one thing? LOL. Do you read my posts in this forum? I put the entirety of my takes out there for criticism and explain in detail why I feel the way I do about players.

Edited by jrry32