Matt Breida (2 star)

Austin Ekeler (not ranked)

Tarik Cohen (not ranked)

James White

C.J. Anderson

Rashaad Penny

Jay Ajayi

I think I'm going to stop there.

Good list and I am sure there are tons more.  Would be a damn hard list to make because who keeps track or even pays attention to high school rankings? 

Based on that looking back Speed Noil, Ermon Lane, Kenny Bigelow and Max Browne should all be Pro bowlers right now based on high school rankings.  I mean honestly cool for college football team fans to follow but means little to nothing in the NFL game and who they are as prospects.  

Could also include these guys from a variety of positions, either two stars or were not rated in high school, Jordy Nelson, Chris Johnson, Alfred Morris, Mike Iupati, JJ Watt, Demarcus Ware, Bobby Wagner, Chad Greenway, Aqib Talib, Joe Staley, Julius Thomas, and Eric Weddle etc....

I do agree Jacobs is not the next Alvin Kamara but in terms of a complete RB in this draft who can do it all, he is pretty much the only one that can. Hell I believe the year before last season he played FB/HB at times for Bama and did quite well with that.  His versatility is special and he is a good back no doubt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Posted this in the Raider section as some fans want Jacobs at 24 or 27. I’ll post it here and maybe one of you can reply and help me understand his hype. 

Where is the Kamara stuff coming from? Have they been compared at some point? If so it's a bizarre one, their games are so different. 

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

So you’re gonna sit here and tell me he didn’t run terribly in Weeks 2,34, and 6? Show me what makes you so confident Jacobs is a solid runner between the tackles. He’s not...

I'm gonna sit here and tell you that the statement that you just tried to pass off as a fact, is not true.  

As for the games in question:

Week 2: Got stuffed on 3rd and 1 for a loss of a yard.  Next 2 runs went for 13 yards.  Final 2 runs happened went for 2 yards. 

Week 3: Started the game with 4 carries for 23 yards and a TD.  The TD run was only 4 yards.  After that, he had 2 carries.  One carry he lost a 5 yards, the other he was stuffed for no gain.  Both carries were inside the 10.

Week 4: 3 carries inside the 10, with one TD.  That's not a bad success rate, and I don't care about 2 YPC inside the 10 when everyone knows you're getting the ball.  Only had 3 other carries.

Week 6: Got the ball twice from the 3 yard line, scored a TD on the second one.  3rd carry went for 9 yards as they ran out the 1st half.  Next 2 runs went for a combined -2 yards.

You can't judge a player on YPC when he is getting almost zero carries. Almost half of the carries in those games came either on 3rd and short or inside the 10.  There isn't a single running back in the country who is going to get half his carries in those situations and put up a huge YPC.  That doesn't mean he can't run between the tackles.

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Where is the Kamara stuff coming from? Have they been compared at some point? If so it's a bizarre one, their games are so different. 

Only similarity I see is that they are both "3 down backs" who look like WR's catching the ball, but they go about it in very different ways.

Do Josh Jacobs and David Montgomery seem very similar as runners? Or is it just me? I think they look like nearly the same prospect, but Jacobs has more natural hands and a little better burst.

Devin Singletary and Darwin Thompson also seem kinda similar to me.

Edited by Jeezla

44 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Still don’t like Jacobs between the tackles at all. Like I said, he’s no where near the next Kamara. Sign me up for Najee Harris in the 1st next year.

Jacobs is excellent running between the tackles. He's not Kamara, but neither is Damien or Najee Harris, two guys you're advocating for. Jacobs is the best RB that Bama has and it's not even close. He's got a great burst and is a nightmare to try and tackle. He breaks through every arm tackle without losing any speed or momentum and understands how to plant his foot in the ground and go. He's got good vision and decent lateral quickness.

The 3-Star recruit thing is one of the dumbest things I've heard critiqued on here. Who cares what he did in high school? He's been awesome in college against some very good competition. He became the lead back on a team that had a plethora of 4-5 star recruits in the backfield. Jacobs is clearly the RB #1 in this draft class for me and most others. He's not an elite prospect, but there aren't any this year.

• Like 6

I really like Jacobs, I have some questions about his lateral quickness might be answered at the combine (he's up and down in that area), but I think he's the best in the class taking Rodney Anderson's injury record into consideration. The pop on contact when defenders come down to meet Jacobs is absolutely brutal though, that really stands out. He's such a violent runner. 

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Do Josh Jacobs and David Montgomery seem very similar as runners? Or is it just me? I think they look like nearly the same prospect, but Jacobs has more natural hands and a little better burst.

Devin Singletary and Darwin Thompson also seem kinda similar to me.

I haven't evaluated Singletary yet (Day 1/2 HBs aren't high on my list of priorities), but Singletary stood out to me while I was watching Jaylon Ferguson. I did watch Darwin Thompson. He's a good pass catcher who is not easy to tackle in space, but he has poor vision between the tackles. He runs up the backs of his OLs far too often.

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I haven't evaluated Singletary yet (Day 1/2 HBs aren't high on my list of priorities), but Singletary stood out to me while I was watching Jaylon Ferguson. I did watch Darwin Thompson. He's a good pass catcher who is not easy to tackle in space, but he has poor vision between the tackles. He runs up the backs of his OLs far too often.

Singletary is very similar to Henderson, but he lacks the extra burst that Hendo has. Like...they are built similarly, are both lightning quick, easily shed arm tackles, can offer you something in the passing game....they're so darn similar, but Henderson has an extra gear. Singletary is fast, but he's not a dynamo like Henderson is.

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I did watch Darwin Thompson. He's a good pass catcher who is not easy to tackle in space, but he has poor vision between the tackles. He runs up the backs of his OLs far too often.

definitely a passing down/2-minute back. But he's a hell of an option for that role. He's going to crush his pro day (it's a travesty he didn't get invited to the combine, he'd be near the top in basically every event)

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Singletary is very similar to Henderson, but he lacks the extra burst that Hendo has. Like...they are built similarly, are both lightning quick, easily shed arm tackles, can offer you something in the passing game....they're so darn similar, but Henderson has an extra gear. Singletary is fast, but he's not a dynamo like Henderson is.

Yeah, I liked Singletary - but that extra gear of speed never kicks in like you hope it would.