2019 NFL Draft - Running Backs

Forge

20 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Do Josh Jacobs and David Montgomery seem very similar as runners? Or is it just me? I think they look like nearly the same prospect, but Jacobs has more natural hands and a little better burst.

Devin Singletary and Darwin Thompson also seem kinda similar to me.

I think Jacobs has more power and is more violent on contact.

17 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Singletary is very similar to Henderson, but he lacks the extra burst that Hendo has. Like...they are built similarly, are both lightning quick, easily shed arm tackles, can offer you something in the passing game....they're so darn similar, but Henderson has an extra gear. Singletary is fast, but he's not a dynamo like Henderson is.

Nooo. Singletary's short area quickness and lateral mobility is Shady McCoy like. Henderson doesn't have that make you miss in a phone booth lateral mobility. Very different run styles imo. Quick comp wise it's like a weaker McCoy vs a shorter Dalvin Cook.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

When, and why, did the Jacobs draft hype pick up steam? Every year there seems to be a guy who shoots up mock drafts after the season but before the combine, and it's been Jacobs this year. Guessing it was just draftniks not really paying enough attention, but then NFL scouts leaking how highly they thought of him?

Because late in the year he tore it up. He was an afterthought at the beginning of the season, as Bama had 2 more highly touted backs. I never thought Damien Harris was special, but I expected more out of Najee Harris. He got added to my "meh" list after this season. Josh Jacobs came in and lit good teams up. And it wasn't like Bama was just killing guys running the ball with anyone. He was far and away their best RB, but that wasn't known until late in the season.

11 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

When, and why, did the Jacobs draft hype pick up steam? Every year there seems to be a guy who shoots up mock drafts after the season but before the combine, and it's been Jacobs this year. Guessing it was just draftniks not really paying enough attention, but then NFL scouts leaking how highly they thought of him?

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Because late in the year he tore it up. He was an afterthought at the beginning of the season, as Bama had 2 more highly touted backs. I never thought Damien Harris was special, but I expected more out of Najee Harris. He got added to my "meh" list after this season. Josh Jacobs came in and lit good teams up. And it wasn't like Bama was just killing guys running the ball with anyone. He was far and away their best RB, but that wasn't known until late in the season.

And, as a result, he has less wear and tear than other RBs...

I hated seeing that Oklahoma born boy tearing up my Sooners! >:(  :(

46 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Thoughts on Appalachian State RB Jalin Moore? I like his speed and potential value late in the draft.

Watched him earlier.  Thought he went down fairly easily from contact and didn't have very good vision, but good hands, speed, and agility. 

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

@BleedTheClock Dude what's the skinny on Travis Homer?

IIRC, BTC hates him. I like him a lot. Can't be a bellcow because he won't hold up (imo). But he can be a very effective 1B HB. Physical runner who fits well in a zone-based attack. Has enough wiggle to make people miss on the second level and in the open field. Has all of the components to be a great pass protector. Just needs more experience to improve his recognition on more complex interior blitzes. Had some drop issues in the past, but his hands looked a lot better this year. Runs crisp routes and has good patience/vision after the catch (especially on screens).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Bleh. He's got nice hands and is a rugged dude, but I don't see any special traits in him. I think his times are a lot better than his play speed and he doesn't break many tackles. Very meh.

I like him because he's good at everything. I generally evaluate for special traits, but HB is one position (basically, the only position) where I don't. At HB, it's better to be good at a lot of things than great at one or two things. Obviously, vision/patience are the most important attributes.

• Like 2

Josh Jacobs is a Round 1 talent, but I wouldn't take him Top 5 like some mock drafts think. He's no Saquon or Zeke, but he squeaked out a first-round grade from me (7.0 - 8.0 is "first round grade" and he came it at 7.0 on the dot).

On 01/03/2019 at 8:03 PM, jrry32 said:

I like him because he's good at everything. I generally evaluate for special traits, but HB is one position (basically, the only position) where I don't. At HB, it's better to be good at a lot of things than great at one or two things. Obviously, vision/patience are the most important attributes.

I feel weirdly aligned with your philosophy on this.  I like standout traits or skillsets that can set a guy apart.  But when it comes to RBs...it's one of the few positions where i just want a good, solid guy who can do everything well.  It's so dependent on OLine play and scheme, i just tend to look for the projectable all-around RB.  Probably why my RB rankings are always some of my furthest off center every year.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 6:23 PM, DaPatsKid98 said:

I went back a few pages before posting, didn’t see his name.

L.J. Scott from MSU?  He took a step back last season, but had a strong junior campaign. He’s got great size and agility.

Yeah he could be a steal totally come draft day, but out of sight out of mind and since he got injured this past year clearly did not have some amazing season at all.  Was a beast as a FR and SOPH, that one year carried them to the title and big wins in huge games for that program.  Thick back, good power and could do very well in the right system just like Gus Edwards did last year for the Ravens.  In the right setting with a team that runs power football he is put together well and is a power back who can get the tough yards potentially.

Qadree Ollison is going to be a star in someone's backfield. He's got excellent power, vision, and balance. Plus he is wigglier and faster than people give him credit for. I have him graded out as an NFL starter and someone that has potential superstar written all over him.

Arian Foster-like, but a more physical runner at the point of attack.