2019 NFL Draft - Running Backs

Forge

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I just took another look at Elijah Holyfield due to his 40 time. Yep, I don't care about the 40 time.

I think he could be a pretty good No. 2 back. He has pretty good balance and power, and his acceleration is right up there at the top of the class, which to me offsets some of the speed concerns.

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Rodney Anderson is the best back in this class on talent alone. 

I don't quite see it with Anderson as a runner. I don't think he's particularly quick or easily lateral. He does have some breakaway speed when he gets an alley. I really like him as a pass-catcher, though. Oklahoma does a great job getting their runningbacks receiver-ready.

My comp for him is James Connor.

On talent alone, I put him behind Jacobs, Henderson, and probably Montgomery.

Edited by Rich7sena

27 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't quite see it with Anderson as a runner. I don't think he's particularly quick or easily lateral. He does have some breakaway speed when he gets an alley. I really like him as a pass-catcher, though. Oklahoma does a great job getting their runningbacks receiver-ready.

Yeah I really don't get the Connor comparison, I think Anderson is a much a looser and balanced runner. They're both good receivers but Connor's game is more about contact balance in short areas, whereas Anderson beats defenders with quick cuts in close quarters and he's much better in space with that extra gear if he hits the the open field. Weirdly though, this is the second comparison I've seen this week which I can't get my head around. Lance Zerlein compared him to Stephen Ridley and I'm honestly wondering if I'm watching the same player. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

He’ll be there with your 7th

I'd happily take him there. The 4.8 40 gives me pause, but I can't overlook what he did on the field. Watch his tape against LSU, Alabama, Kentucky, and Auburn, and tell me that he isn't a good enough runner. Frankly, his lack of receiving skills are more concerning to me than his lack of breakaway speed. I'd compare him to Alfred Morris. 

Edited by jrry32

18 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

He's so much more elusive than Conner is. Anderson is a slippery dude that people typecast as some plodding RB because he's big and tall. I'll admit it--I did the same thing before really diving into his tape. He's a great athlete capable of both great lateral and vertical speed. He has the size. He has the vision. He runs between the tackles and can bounce on occasion. He has hands out of the backfield. He pass blocks. He's literally excellent in every single area if you're willing to give him a pass on the injury thing.

I had Josh Jacobs as my #1 back, but he's hanging on to that by a thread. I still like Jacobs, but the more I watch of him the more I sour on his game. And the more I watch of other RB's in this class the more they start to close the gap.

Give Qadree Ollison a look-see. He's got elite contact balance, runs violent, has surprising lateral quickness, and is just a genuine pain in the nutsack to try and tackle. He reminds me of Arian Foster. I expect him to be one of the top 3 RB's from this draft class and easily surpass his pre-draft expectation.s

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's so much more elusive than Conner is. Anderson is a slippery dude that people typecast as some plodding RB because he's big and tall. I'll admit it--I did the same thing before really diving into his tape. He's a great athlete capable of both great lateral and vertical speed. He has the size. He has the vision. He runs between the tackles and can bounce on occasion. He has hands out of the backfield. He pass blocks. He's literally excellent in every single area if you're willing to give him a pass on the injury thing.

I had Josh Jacobs as my #1 back, but he's hanging on to that by a thread. I still like Jacobs, but the more I watch of him the more I sour on his game. And the more I watch of other RB's in this class the more they start to close the gap.

Give Qadree Ollison a look-see. He's got elite contact balance, runs violent, has surprising lateral quickness, and is just a genuine pain in the nutsack to try and tackle. He reminds me of Arian Foster. I expect him to be one of the top 3 RB's from this draft class and easily surpass his pre-draft expectation.s

I'm not sure why anyone would think Anderson is a plodder. He reminds me of Joe Mixon and Todd Gurley. I don't think he's the pure athlete that Gurley is, but I like him a little more than I did Mixon. Ultimately, in five years, he's either going to have had his career wrecked by injuries or be one of those guys people say, "How did he go so low in the Draft?"

As for Ollison, I respect your opinion, but I didn't see it with him.

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

Simply by staring at his measurables. He is like 6'1 225+. That screams power back to most people as it usually does to me. The tape showed something else entirely.

It's not like he's 240+. I wouldn't assume power back with those measurables. That's just a tall HB. But I am digressing.

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

First, my comments on Anderson were based wholly on my evaluation of him. I may end up being wrong, but I watched the cut-ups just like everyone else.

Second, I didn't write that Anderson is a plodding RB. I didn't even intimate it. Connor is not a plodding RB either. Connor, to me, is the type of runner who maximizes what's blocked by being decisive and having good vision. I don't view Connor or Anderson are the types of backs who "add a blocker." What I mean by this is I don't think either Connor or Anderson will force a lot of missed tackles, by either breaking a tackle or making a defender miss. To me, that's a big part of what makes a guy a special talent at the position. So, I'd disagree that he's "excellent" in every single area of being a running back. The only area I'd rate him as "excellent" would be his ability to adjust to the ball out of the backfield. 

My initial comment was in response to @goldfishwars suggesting Anderson was the best back in this class based on talent alone. I still like Anderson as a prospect, I just don't think he's a special talent.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:39 AM, AlNFL19 said:

I think he could be a pretty good No. 2 back. He has pretty good balance and power, and his acceleration is right up there at the top of the class, which to me offsets some of the speed concerns.

Dude is just gonna offset 4.8 speed? Who has done that?

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:04 AM, goldfishwars said:

Yeah I really don't get the Connor comparison, I think Anderson is a much a looser and balanced runner. They're both good receivers but Connor's game is more about contact balance in short areas, whereas Anderson beats defenders with quick cuts in close quarters and he's much better in space with that extra gear if he hits the the open field. Weirdly though, this is the second comparison I've seen this week which I can't get my head around. Lance Zerlein compared him to Stephen Ridley and I'm honestly wondering if I'm watching the same player. 

Anderson is nothing like Conner or Ridley. Its not just you