2019 NFL Draft - Running Backs

Forge

On 11/12/2018 at 10:41 PM, blkwdw13 said:

What are people’s thoughts on Darwin Thompson of Utah State and Justice Hill of OSU. 

Darwin Thompson is a very promising young player, I hope he comes back to school another year but is apparently crazy strong in the weight room and has been quite productive this year.  Good out of the backfield catching passes as well, he should come back to school though I think, could be a much higher pick next year potentially but who knows.  Justice Hill is a big play back, has kind of dipped a little this year with less talent around him but has good speed and athletic ability.  Could be a 2nd or 3rd round pick maybe if he comes out early maybe but could say Karan Higdon and Darrin Hall are having better senior years than Hill, and I would potentially take Gaskin over Hill as well not to mention maybe even Damien Harris some some others.

Real question is Bryce Love, I mean what the heck after having one of the best seasons in college football history last year.  Not sure if it is just people are paying more attention to him and figured out his game.  

These are the last three years for him, his yards per carry and way down, would think it is just touches but when he gets it he is less explosive than before.

122 carries, 580 yards, 4.8 per carry 5 TDs

263 carries, 2118 yards, 8.1 per carry 19 TDs

111 carries, 783 yards, 7.0 per carry 3 TDs

Not sure if it is a injury thing, or if he lost some speed or what.  But when he runs he is not as aggressive and that OL has not played as strong as usual so that hurt as well.  It is odd being such a high character guy and high team guy having such a sub par and disappointing year so far.  Not sure what to think of that, I had huge expectations of him though coming into the year, would be shocked if he was a 1st rounder the way he played so far this year.  So frail and thin legs, still a solid player but might lack that toughness and ability to gain yards when perfect blocking is not there.  Where like a guy like Benny Snell is tough as hell, everyone knows he is getting the ball, has poor blocking and almost no passing game to help him yet he still gets yards.  Has been more consistent and is a more powerful back who can take contact well and keep going.  

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Darwin Thompson is a very promising young player, I hope he comes back to school another year but is apparently crazy strong in the weight room and has been quite productive this year.  Good out of the backfield catching passes as well, he should come back to school though I think, could be a much higher pick next year potentially but who knows.  Justice Hill is a big play back, has kind of dipped a little this year with less talent around him but has good speed and athletic ability.  Could be a 2nd or 3rd round pick maybe if he comes out early maybe but could say Karan Higdon and Darrin Hall are having better senior years than Hill, and I would potentially take Gaskin over Hill as well not to mention maybe even Damien Harris some some others.

Real question is Bryce Love, I mean what the heck after having one of the best seasons in college football history last year.  Not sure if it is just people are paying more attention to him and figured out his game.  

These are the last three years for him, his yards per carry and way down, would think it is just touches but when he gets it he is less explosive than before.

122 carries, 580 yards, 4.8 per carry 5 TDs

263 carries, 2118 yards, 8.1 per carry 19 TDs

111 carries, 783 yards, 7.0 per carry 3 TDs

Not sure if it is a injury thing, or if he lost some speed or what.  But when he runs he is not as aggressive and that OL has not played as strong as usual so that hurt as well.  It is odd being such a high character guy and high team guy having such a sub par and disappointing year so far.  Not sure what to think of that, I had huge expectations of him though coming into the year, would be shocked if he was a 1st rounder the way he played so far this year.  So frail and thin legs, still a solid player but might lack that toughness and ability to gain yards when perfect blocking is not there.  Where like a guy like Benny Snell is tough as hell, everyone knows he is getting the ball, has poor blocking and almost no passing game to help him yet he still gets yards.  Has been more consistent and is a more powerful back who can take contact well and keep going.  

Thank you, the reason I was asking is because I was trying to look into some later round prospects. 

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

Thank you, the reason I was asking is because I was trying to look into some later round prospects. 

I would have the RBs for the up coming draft rated like this.  Ozigbo and Ollison are potentially great pickups in the middle rounds and Gallaspy could be a steal late same with Laird.  And Hurd has converted to WR but is playing some RB still and would be interesting if he would be open to playing RB in the NFL for not.  Darrin Hall is probably rising up the board as much as any RB this year and same could be said for Darrell Henderson who is a legit RB and one of the best by far and could be the 1st one taken maybe as well.

Benny Snell Jr Kentucky JR
Darrell Henderson Memphis JR
Devin Singletary FAU JR
Bryce Love Stanford
Rodney Anderson Oklahoma RS JR
Myles Gaskin Washington
Karan Higdon Michigan
Darrin Hall Pitt
Damien Harris Alabama
Justice Hill Ok State JR
Devine Ozigbo Nebraska
Qadree Ollison Pitt RS
LJ Scott Michigan State
Jordan Scarlett Florida
Reggie Gallaspy II NC State
Patrick Laird Cal RS
Dexter Williams Notre Dame
Jalen Hurd Baylor TS
Rodney Smith Minnesota
Matt Colburn II Wake Forest
Ty Johnson Maryland
AJ Bush Illinois RS
Jacques Patrick Florida State
Nick Brossette LSU
Soso Jamabo UCLA
Terence Williams Houston
Taiwan Deal Wisconsin

Darrell Henderson Jr. is hands down the best RB in this class IMO. He has amazing balance, he is explosive, and powerful enough with very good vision. When he hits the hole he hits the hole. Only down side is the size, and seeing how well he can hold up at the next level. 

Edited by Counselor

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get why David Montgomery isn't getting more #1 RB love. He looks like a cross between LeSean McCoy (minus the breakaway speed) and Kareem Hunt. He's the only back that I've watched so far in this class that looks like a difference-making starter at the next level.

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't get why David Montgomery isn't getting more #1 RB love. He looks like a cross between LeSean McCoy (minus the breakaway speed) and Kareem Hunt. He's the only back that I've watched so far in this class that looks like a difference-making starter at the next level.

Darrell Henderson is better. Montgomery is my #2 RB. He's not Kareem Hunt or Shady (Neither is Darrell Henderson), but he's good. Shady doesn't really have breakaway speed. Gets caught from behind all the time dating back to his years with Philly. He hits top speed fast, but his top speed isn't anything special. Montgomery reminds me of Arian Foster, but hopefully without the health issues. Henderson reminds me of Jamal Charles with a little less speed, but a little more run-through-contact ability.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 9:08 PM, Counselor said:

Darrell Henderson Jr. is hands down the best RB in this class IMO. He has amazing balance, he is explosive, and powerful enough with very good vision. When he hits the hole he hits the hole. Only down side is the size, and seeing how well he can hold up at the next level. 

I pretty much agree with all of this. I'm driving the bandwagon for this guy all year, but I will say I do have some reservations about his vision. I'm pretty sure it's good, but Memphis surprisingly blows open some nice holes for him, fairly often, so it's a little difficult to tell if his vision is actually as good as it looks, or if his OL is basically making the decisions for him by creating obvious running lanes that only Trent Richardson would miss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

I pretty much agree with all of this. I'm driving the bandwagon for this guy all year, but I will say I do have some reservations about his vision. I'm pretty sure it's good, but Memphis surprisingly blows open some nice holes for him, fairly often, so it's a little difficult to tell if his vision is actually as good as it looks, or if his OL is basically making the decisions for him by creating obvious running lanes that only Trent Richardson would miss.

I’ve seen this too but I’ve also seen it blown so wide open he has multiple lanes to choose from and he seems to most often choose the right lane as the others close quickly. 

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Darrell Henderson is better. Montgomery is my #2 RB. He's not Kareem Hunt or Shady (Neither is Darrell Henderson), but he's good. Shady doesn't really have breakaway speed. Gets caught from behind all the time dating back to his years with Philly. He hits top speed fast, but his top speed isn't anything special. Montgomery reminds me of Arian Foster, but hopefully without the health issues. Henderson reminds me of Jamal Charles with a little less speed, but a little more run-through-contact ability.

I watched a bit of Henderson, and he's definitely good, but I still like Montgomery better as an overall back. Henderson reminds me more of Kamara than he does of Charles. He has great contact balance, burst, and he's very well built which makes me less worried about his size, although it looks like he's playing comfortably over 200 lbs. Charles was not stout at all and relied on vision, quickness, acceleration, and breakaway speed to make himself elite. Henderson is more of a burst and balance type player like Kamara. 

Montgomery pretty much matches Shady when it comes to quickness, but I think he's more powerful and has better contact balance which makes him somewhat like Hunt. What he doesn't have is that special getaway speed Shady [still] has off his cuts. Montgomery isn't a slouch off his cuts, but he's not Shady fast. What really rounds out Montgomery for me as RB1 is his pass protection; he already looks like a pro in that respect.

On 11/14/2018 at 9:14 PM, Ozzy said:

I think it's injuries and poor run blocking. He still is a great breakaway threat, has great feet and fights for yards despite his size. He should be at least a Chris Thompson as a pro unless he never shakes the injury thing.

3 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I think shiftiness and burst is a lot more important as a pro then pure speed. Montgomery is extremely difficult to tackle in space and has enough toughness to break tackles. I think he plays a lot more like Kareem Hunt at Toledo than a Tenn Arian Foster.

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

I’ve seen this too but I’ve also seen it blown so wide open he has multiple lanes to choose from and he seems to most often choose the right lane as the others close quickly. 

I like his vision but those are express lanes. #2 back Pat Taylor also looks like a star in that offense. I think Henderson runs too upright and isn't especially shifty but his speed, burst and vision make him unstoppable. Reminds me an awful lot of Rashaad Penny or Isaiah Crowell but he's a little smaller and faster.

An unheralded guy I love is junior Zach Moss. I just wish he could stay healthy. Also a big fan of junior Artavis Pierce.

@blkwdw13

I want to hear your guys' thoughts on why Bryce Love has had a down year. I already know what I think about it, but he isn't being talked about much and I find it very curious. He's rushing for like half as many yards per carry this season and no one is seemingly interested about that.

5 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

I want to hear your guys' thoughts on why Bryce Love has had a down year. I already know what I think about it, but he isn't being talked about much and I find it very curious. He's rushing for like half as many yards per carry this season and no one is seemingly interested about that.

His body is telling you that he isn't built to carry any type of significant load, let alone be tough enough to endure high level play for 16 games, plus playoffs depending on the team he goes to. Plus to play devils advocate, he isn't nearly as fast as people make him out to be. Just my take

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

His body is telling you that he isn't built to carry any type of significant load, let alone be tough enough to endure high level play for 16 games, plus playoffs depending on the team he goes to. Plus to play devils advocate, he isn't nearly as fast as people make him out to be. Just my take

I definitely disagree on the speed. He ran a 10.61 100m in high school and actually set national records as a middle schooler in track. He was running in the same state as Nyheim Hines and was actually faster than him at the time. Hines stuck with track in college and ran a 4.38 "official" time at the combine, and the hand times had him at 4.31 at the combine. Love didn't stick with track, but he has pure speed.  A 10.64 in the 100m roughly converts to a 4.40 in the 40, so Love could easily match that 4.38 set by Hines. 

It's interesting to think about the wear on his body. This year he's had fewer carries. Do you think the heavy workload from last year is still having an impact on his body? Because we certainly saw an impact on it last year with the ankle injuries, but he played through those and was amazingly still very effective despite having to limp off the field after every other play.

10 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

I definitely disagree on the speed. He ran a 10.61 100m in high school and actually set national records as a middle schooler in track. He was running in the same state as Nyheim Hines and was actually faster than him at the time. Hines stuck with track in college and ran a 4.38 "official" time at the combine, and the hand times had him at 4.31 at the combine. Love didn't stick with track, but he has pure speed.  A 10.64 in the 100m roughly converts to a 4.40 in the 40, so Love could easily match that 4.38 set by Hines. 

It's interesting to think about the wear on his body. This year he's had fewer carries. Do you think the heavy workload from last year is still having an impact on his body? Because we certainly saw an impact on it last year with the ankle injuries, but he played through those and was amazingly still very effective despite having to limp off the field after every other play.

His best bet is to be a situational back to start off, and when has he really had time to heal really or when has he really had the time to get back to 100%? As far as his speed, I know exactly what has been reported but I just don't see it, at all, I see quick, pitty pat feet but I don't see the 4.31, that's just me. When you saw Paris Campbell hit that corner against UM, you saw a 4.31 type of speed, when I see Love, I see 4.45, which isn't bad at all but certainly not 4.31.

• Like 1