2019 NFL Draft - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Forge

On 1/9/2019 at 4:41 PM, reamer said:

Hockenson reminds me a little of Gronk. What do they feed those TEs over there?

Gronk?

Image result for tj hockenson

Gronk is huge. Hockenson, of whom I am a huge fan, is not anywhere near Gronk physically. The only thing that they have in common is that they're both excellent at toughing out yards after the catch. I love me some Hockenson, but that comparison doesn't hold any water IMO. Hockenson has no problems blocking, but he's incredibly small for a TE prospect. Gronk is incredibly big.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Gronk?

Image result for tj hockenson

Gronk is huge. Hockenson, of whom I am a huge fan, is not anywhere near Gronk physically. The only thing that they have in common is that they're both excellent at toughing out yards after the catch. I love me some Hockenson, but that comparison doesn't hold any water IMO. Hockenson has no problems blocking, but he's incredibly small for a TE prospect. Gronk is incredibly big.

A good comparison for Hock is Jason Witten imo

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 2:51 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Gronk?

I agree, Gronk is a freak show and has what a 7 foot winspan.  That guy is super long and Hockenson is simply not as big and not as strong.  Hockenson is a better athlete than Gronk in terms of speed and run after the catch but Gronk is a more complete TE with a better catch radius because of his size.  Hockenson can get more YAC though but Gronk just look at what he is doing currently as a blocker, doubt Hockenson will be that type of player in the NFL as a blocking TE who is also a great red zone target and jump ball target.  Sure Gronk has always not put this type of effort into blocking but he has always been this freaking huge dude who can move very well for his massive size.  

I thin Hockenson is more like Greg Olsen than he is like Gronk or Jason Witten.  

I hate to do same school comparisons because my brain naturally gravitates to them so easily, but Hockenson's best comparison is George Kittle. They're incredibly similar other than Hockenson has a slight edge in blocking. Both have good hands and natural quickness. Both are EXCELLENT RAC TE's, both profile similarly in terms of body composition.

Hockenson reminds me of emerging Blake Jarwin.

Jarwin is turning into a starter caliber TE who just needs more consistency. But size, athletic ability, blocking background and underutilized in the passing game for most of their careers.

To me he's too lanky to be compared to Kittle and Witten and frankly Witten was a step above in athletic ability and versatility coming out.

51 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Hockenson reminds me of emerging Blake Jarwin.

Jarwin is turning into a starter caliber TE who just needs more consistency. But size, athletic ability, blocking background and underutilized in the passing game for most of their careers.

To me he's too lanky to be compared to Kittle and Witten and frankly Witten was a step above in athletic ability and versatility coming out.

I think Hockenson will test out pretty good at combine. Not certain on his 40 but I think he'll test better on that then expected. I've been told his vertical is 40" and should test well in broad jump and strength testing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

The Bills need playmakers in the worst way so I’m hoping this is a good receiving class. Haven’t paid much attention to it yet.

Didn't the Bills just sign Duke Williams here a few weeks back. Talented coming out of Auburn, but red flags all over. Went to Canada and has been tearing it up up there the past two seasons. Hopefully that will pan out for them.