2019 NFL Draft - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Forge

I'm wondering if the lack of hype about Preston Williams is due to his misdemeanor, or because people think he lacks refinement in his routes / has inability to separate / isn't a contested catch monster. He showed up pretty well against some solid teams and looks like he has some explosiveness, yet I'm consistently seeing him projected to go undrafted. What am I missing? He seems like a good WR2 in the 3rd - 5th range.

46 minutes ago, reamer said:

I'm wondering if the lack of hype about Preston Williams is due to his misdemeanor, or because people think he lacks refinement in his routes / has inability to separate / isn't a contested catch monster. He showed up pretty well against some solid teams and looks like he has some explosiveness, yet I'm consistently seeing him projected to go undrafted. What am I missing? He seems like a good WR2 in the 3rd - 5th range.

I think Williams past, apparently assault on what at the time was his GF, that got him dismissed from Tennessee. I think teams are knocking him down a be on their boards and analysts aren’t blowing his name up because of it. On the field the kid can ball and if he stays clean off the field from here on out he could be one hell of a find in the middle rounds for some team willing to take risk the pick. To my knowledge he hasn’t gotten into trouble since being suspended for a year and redshirting after transferring so it’s been a couple of years since anything.

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think Diontae is much more than a speed guy. His YAC and elusiveness is excellent, and he has slot experience. I think the Emmanuel Sanders comparisons some are throwing out are right on target. Love this kids game.

I agree. I also think he plucks the ball out of the sky with ease and wins jump ball throws way more than a dude his size should. This is why he kind of reminds me of Antonio Brown. He's capable of Mossing guys despite being much smaller than other WR's.

He really does have a complete game outside of being a great blocking WR. He is my super sleeper and I can't imagine him not becoming an NFL star.

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I think Diontae is much more than a speed guy. His YAC and elusiveness is excellent, and he has slot experience. I think the Emmanuel Sanders comparisons some are throwing out are right on target. Love this kids game.

He's an interesting dude, tape is almost painful watching him get open over and over without the ball heading his way. 

N'Keal Harry is so physical it's hard not to like him, especially as that limitations of that offense seems to be working against him most of the time. He's just a bully and he seems to find several extra gears when the ball is in his hands. It's the opposite of quicker than fast, he speeds up after the ball arrives. I think he's a first round receiver in a very good class. 

• Like 4

He really does have a complete game outside of being a great blocking WR. He is my super sleeper and I can't imagine him not becoming an NFL star.

I agree, although I am always wary of using the term 'star' with guys who are not clear-cut blue chips. I think he is very likely to become a high tier #2, with a great chance to be a passable #1. Another similarity to Manny Sanders.

On 1/31/2019 at 1:53 AM, goldfishwars said:

N'Keal Harry is so physical it's hard not to like him, especially as that limitations of that offense seems to be working against him most of the time. He's just a bully and he seems to find several extra gears when the ball is in his hands. It's the opposite of quicker than fast, he speeds up after the ball arrives. I think he's a first round receiver in a very good class. 

I agree, he is a 1st round WR and to me he is easily the #1 WR in the class no question.  He has better hands than Metcalf and is arguably just as athletically gifted, will see if he can prove that at the combine.  The athletic ability he showed against USC and those punt returns impressed me, I did not think he had that kind of open field speed.  And I agree in that offense he was not able to show all his skills as a receiver.

Also if AJ Brown works out well at the combine I would not be surprised if he climbs back into the 1st round.  He is such a nimble athlete for a freaking 230 pound 6-1 tank of a WR.  Has great hands and is good after the catch and productive out wide and especially good in the slot.  He could be a big time weapon and is getting a little underrated I feel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I agree, he is a 1st round WR and to me he is easily the #1 WR in the class no question.  He has better hands than Metcalf and is arguably just as athletically gifted, will see if he can prove that at the combine.  The athletic ability he showed against USC and those punt returns impressed me, I did not think he had that kind of open field speed.  And I agree in that offense he was not able to show all his skills as a receiver.

Also if AJ Brown works out well at the combine I would not be surprised if he climbs back into the 1st round.  He is such a nimble athlete for a freaking 230 pound 6-1 tank of a WR.  Has great hands and is good after the catch and productive out wide and especially good in the slot.  He could be a big time weapon and is getting a little underrated I feel.

1. I really don't think Harry tests anywhere near as well as DK Metcalf will. I expect Metcalf to the the NFL Combine's big winner. Harry is most certainly more athletic than he's given credit for and he's excellent in the open field. Plus he's a jump ball monster and does have better hands than DK. I find Harry to be incredibly underrated, even dating back to before the season.

2. I love AJ Brown. I hadn't really watched his tape until late in the year, but was shocked at how well he moved for his size. He's going to be a nightmare running after the catch, reminding me of Anquan Boldin with more size and speed. That's a scary NFL prospect if you ask me. Why is he getting shoved out of the 1st round? He lacks elite length or speed, but both are more than adequate to be a successful NFL WR.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

1. I really don't think Harry tests anywhere near as well as DK Metcalf will. I expect Metcalf to the the NFL Combine's big winner. Harry is most certainly more athletic than he's given credit for and he's excellent in the open field. Plus he's a jump ball monster and does have better hands than DK. I find Harry to be incredibly underrated, even dating back to before the season.

2. I love AJ Brown. I hadn't really watched his tape until late in the year, but was shocked at how well he moved for his size. He's going to be a nightmare running after the catch, reminding me of Anquan Boldin with more size and speed. That's a scary NFL prospect if you ask me. Why is he getting shoved out of the 1st round? He lacks elite length or speed, but both are more than adequate to be a successful NFL WR.

As long as Metcalf is fully healthy, yeah...i think he pretty comfortably tests out as more athletic than Harry.  That's not to say Harry is unathletic, but he doesn't have quite the same sort of freaky burst and twitch you can see from Metcalf at times.  It's more...build up speed like @goldfishwars was getting at.  Harry is a really smooth mover for his size though.

AJ Brown's athletic testing will be interesting too, in that he probably won't stand out much running and jumping, but he's such an easy mover for such a tank of a man, i could see him doing really well on some of the change of direction/shuttle and cone drills.  Somebody around the back end of the 1st is probably gonna get a QBs new favourite top target volume receiver and be very happy with it.  The good kind of "jack of all trades" imo.

Those are the three clear cut first round caliber receivers for me this year.

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think because he plays the slot people want to discredit him but he could easily play outside and dominate based on his skill set.

31 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I think because he plays the slot people want to discredit him but he could easily play outside and dominate based on his skill set.

Yeah and Brown working from the slot was a natural fit for their team. They had 2 outside NFL receivers (Metcalf & Lodge) with a pro caliber TE as well. Obviously Metcalf didn't pan out, but he was a natural fit for the slot given all of their weapons.