2019 NFL Draft - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Forge

35 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yeah. Sure. But even if you count them, it's still a below 1% success rate for a guy who doesn't meet the threshold of average.

It's a function of speed and weight. It's effectively measuring a player's horsepower.

So Le'Veon passed the threshold?

Also, how many other very good HBs failed to hit the 5000 yards?

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think the takeaway with things like a speed score is it isn’t a guarantee, but rather a way of using statistical data to stack the deck in your favor.

Can a RB succeed if they don’t hit 100?  Of course, but the odds are reduced comparatively.

Yes, there are uses in benchmarks. But when you become too inflexible, you miss out on talented players. Is there an article that goes into the speed score + 5000 yards in detail? 

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

and possibly Devin Singletary

Devin had an 86.1. Only one player even had 1,000 yards over 5 years (so 200 average) with a below 87.5 speed score. if Devin is as good as you're implying he could be with this post, he would be the unicorn amongst all unicorns.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Non measurable things like vision, balance, the tendency to finish runs violently, etc all seem like more important components.

I don’t disagree. Because we’re still only hitting 10% even for guys hitting a 110 speed score, so there’s still 9/10 times you’re picking there that you’re not getting the feature back because of those other things. It’s not like how some of the pass rusher metrics show a ~60% success rate, but it’s still finding a way to hit 10x as often. 

And like you said, this isn’t something that’s supposed to say “don’t ever look at other players,” it’s just stacking the deck in your favor. And if you deviate from it, it should be a calculated risk because you know your chances of finding the next Kareem Hunt among guys with a 95 speed score are over 10 times lower than finding the next Zeke among guys with a 110 speed score.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pwny said:

Devin had an 86.1. Only one player even had 1,000 yards over 5 years (so 200 average) with a below 87.5 speed score. if Devin is as good as you're implying he could be with this post, he would be the unicorn amongst all unicorns.

Singletary is unicornish. Only guy I can think of like him is Brian Westbrook. I expect he didn't pass the speed test either.

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Singletary is unicornish. Only guy I can think of like him is Brian Westbrook. I expect he didn't pass the speed test either.

He didn't. Also not really sure he matches the mold for long term feature back either.

EDIT: 91.7

A note on Metcalf's shuttle and 3-cone. Both are a big who cares and are meaningless for a guy his size.

Dez Bryant - 4.46 shuttle. DeAndre Hopkins shuttle: 4.47. Most big WRs don't even run them, even at the pro days. Calvin did none of that. Andre Johnson did neither. Larry Fitz didn't run them.

Edited by lod01

9 hours ago, lod01 said:

A note on Metcalf's shuttle and 3-cone. Both are a big who cares and are meaningless for a guy his size.

Dez Bryant - 4.46 shuttle. DeAndre Hopkins shuttle: 4.47. Most big WRs don't even run them, even at the pro days. Calvin did none of that. Andre Johnson did neither. Larry Fitz didn't run them.

Agreed.

Slant, post, fly, fade.  Those 4 routes alone will make someone with his physical ability difficult to handle for corners and none require lots of short area change of direction.

• Like 1

Not sure if someone has already gotten into this, but what do you guys think of Foster Moreau? All of his size and measurables match up with guys like Eric Ebron and David Njoku. He didn't have the production at LSU due to their scheme, so he's probably going to be a bit raw as a receiver. Had a decent showing at the Senior Bowl.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Not sure if someone has already gotten into this, but what do you guys think of Foster Moreau? All of his size and measurables match up with guys like Eric Ebron and David Njoku. He didn't have the production at LSU due to their scheme, so he's probably going to be a bit raw as a receiver. Had a decent showing at the Senior Bowl.

He's most certainly not as athletic as Njoku or especially Ebron. I don't care what he tested at. Those 2 are crazy fluid and explosive. Moreau isn't a bad prospect, but he's nowhere near the athlete that the other two guys are...at least not on a football field.