2019 NFL Draft - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Forge

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

He's most certainly not as athletic as Njoku or especially Ebron. I don't care what he tested at. Those 2 are crazy fluid and explosive. Moreau isn't a bad prospect, but he's nowhere near the athlete that the other two guys are...at least not on a football field.

Ebron had a 20 yard shuttle of 4.45 and 3 cone of 7.49 vs Moreau's 4.11 and 7.16. Ebron also had a 32" Vert vs Moreau's 36.5". The key difference between the two is Ebron's 4.60 vs Moreau's 4.66.

Given the fact he was used primarily as a blocking TE he's going to be a bit raw. To say that he's nowhere near as explosive or athletic seems to be a bit of a stretch.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Ebron had a 20 yard shuttle of 4.45 and 3 cone of 7.49 vs Moreau's 4.11 and 7.16. Ebron also had a 32" Vert vs Moreau's 36.5". The key difference between the two is Ebron's 4.60 vs Moreau's 4.66.

Given the fact he was used primarily as a blocking TE he's going to be a bit raw. To say that he's nowhere near as explosive or athletic seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Running routes, in pads, during games, he's not anywhere as fast as Ebron or Njoku. Those two ran away from collegiate DB's. Moreau is not that kind of an athlete. He's more developed as a blocker and adept at playing the H-Back role than the other two guys were, but his test times are not indicative of how fast he plays. I like Moreau. I just reject the idea that he's going to outrun NFL linebackers and DB's like Njoku and Ebron can.

10 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Running routes, in pads, during games, he's not anywhere as fast as Ebron or Njoku. Those two ran away from collegiate DB's. Moreau is not that kind of an athlete. He's more developed as a blocker and adept at playing the H-Back role than the other two guys were, but his test times are not indicative of how fast he plays. I like Moreau. I just reject the idea that he's going to outrun NFL linebackers and DB's like Njoku and Ebron can.

I can't find an official 10 yard split for Moreau but Njoku and Ebron are at 1.61 and 1.63 respectively. It looks like Moreau is about 1.78+/- (from rewatching him run the 40 on YT). So he's not going to be as explosive off of the LOS. He is a significantly better blocker than both of those guys and his measurables aren't THAT far off from those guys.

18 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I can't find an official 10 yard split for Moreau but Njoku and Ebron are at 1.61 and 1.63 respectively. It looks like Moreau is about 1.78+/- (from rewatching him run the 40 on YT). So he's not going to be as explosive off of the LOS. He is a significantly better blocker than both of those guys and his measurables aren't THAT far off from those guys.

Correct, but I'm not taking his athletic times and equating that to game speed. He's not nearly as fast on tape as the other guys. I like Moreau, but he isn't nearly as good as Njoku or Ebron in the athleticism department.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Correct, but I'm not taking his athletic times and equating that to game speed. He's not nearly as fast on tape as the other guys. I like Moreau, but he isn't nearly as good as Njoku or Ebron in the athleticism department.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's exactly like those guys either. Those are both 1st round guys. He just seems to be a better athlete and a guy that I expect to develop into a top tier (top 15) TE in 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Lets see. A guy that is slower that Metcalf and less agile can catch go 66-750 and 13 TDs after getting out of Detroit. Yeah, I'm pretty sure with the right team, Metcalf is fine. This talk of 3-cone and 20 SS is a giant nothingburger.  More concerned about him being bulked up and tight causing a rash of injuries. You do need to have some gumby in ya at the NFL level.

• Like 1

Just now, lod01 said:

Lets see. A guy that is slower that Metcalf and less agile can catch go 66-750 and 13 TDs after getting out of Detroit. Yeah, I'm pretty sure with the right team, Metcalf is fine. This talk of 3-cone and 20 SS is a giant nothingburger.  More concerned about him being bulked up and tight causing a rash of injuries. You do need to have some gumby in ya at the NFL level.

I wasn't talking about Metcalf at all.... Foster Moreau, TE, LSU is the subject at hand.

Ebron's numbers outside of TD's weren't much better than when he was in Detroit. His targets did increase but he was still at about a 55% catch percentage. The Lions could have used him better but he also didn't help himself win any favours with Stafford or Lions fans.

11 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I wasn't talking about Metcalf at all.... Foster Moreau, TE, LSU is the subject at hand.

Ebron's numbers outside of TD's weren't much better than when he was in Detroit. His targets did increase but he was still at about a 55% catch percentage. The Lions could have used him better but he also didn't help himself win any favours with Stafford or Lions fans.

I know that. I'm just using the data you supplied on Ebron to show how stupid it is to downgrade Metcalf on 2 drills.

5 minutes ago, lod01 said:

I know that. I'm just using the data you supplied on Ebron to show how stupid it is to downgrade Metcalf on 2 drills.

Some people are saying that (Metcalf) slipped based on poor technique, which caused his poor times. I haven't seen it myself. As a Lions fan, I don't suspect that Metcalf will be in the running for us so I'm not too overly focused on him. Will be interesting to see how things shake out with him though.

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

After his Combine performance, I watched Moreau again. I didn't see anything inspiring there. I was really hoping I missed something because I love him as a blocker, but he's just not a dynamic athlete on the field.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Where do most of you rank Preston Williams? 

For me, in that tier 2 group with Ridley, Harmon and players around the 2-4 round range. Not sure if it’s his past troubles or what but he’s been slept on this whole process.

51 minutes ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

Did we come to a consensus yet on where Miles Boykin from ND gets drafted? His amazing combine will bump him up at least a round or two. His measurables are off the charts. Late 4th would be his ceiling in this drift IMO

he doesnt really use those physical gifts on film - watch him vs Joejuan Williams (4.64 speed) and Joejuan somehow stays with him stride for stride the entire time, even when Boykin is untouched running a streak. He's way too raw for me to take on Day 2 or even early round 4

• Like 1

I'm not at all convinced that there are 4 or more WRs better than what Boykin could be at the next level. So for this, I'm good with him as a 2nd rd prospect. I'm a bit crazy, and it's easy for me to take the wild swing though, so... 

1. D.K. Metcalf , WR , Mississippi

2. N'Keal Harry , WR , Arizona State

3. A.J. Brown , WR , Mississippi

4. Miles Boykin , WR, Notre Dame

5. Hakeem Butler , WR, Iowa State

6. Kelvin Harmon , WR , NC State

7. Deebo Samuel , WR , South Carolina

8. Marquise Brown , WR, Oklahoma

9.  J.J. Arcega-Whiteside , WR , Stanford

10. Parris Campbell , WR , Ohio State

:P