2019 NFL Draft - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Forge

17 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Hakeem Butler has everything the NFL covets at receiver and yet his stock is so quiet. I mean, I think he's a first round pick and I have a few concerns about the guy. But I would expect the NFL to be way higher on him. Still think we're waiting for his stock to blow up.

I would draft him fairly high and count on him being coached up and limit his drops.

7 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

You can't coach up the ability to catch the ball. Butler's drops are a major red flag. It's not just concentration lapses. He fights the ball worse than anyone I've ever seen. It's worse than Braylon Edwards. 

This is a grave over exaggeration. 

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

This is a grave over exaggeration. 

Kind of funny too because regardless of what he went through in the NFL Edwards was known for having some incredible hands. His only fault I remember scouts saying is that he sometimes got some dropsies in concentration lapses but he terrified in that legendary Rose Bowl game between Texas and Michigan. Dude was a chain moving machine.

As for Butler, even if he has concentration issues he can still be well worth a 1st rounder given the right scheme that doesn't ask him to come big when the game is on the line. He may never be that guy, but then again if he is wide open with a good 6 inches in height on the DB he may not need alot of concentration to make the game winning catch.

I just don't see it with Butler. Hands down, the worst route runner in this class. He should be snagging balls with four fingers, but has Little Red Riding Hood's basket for hands. He took advantage of terrible college DBs purely with his gifted size and nothing else. We know that's not gonna fly in the NFL. You want to get Brandon Marshall with him but you're getting Brandon Coleman...

On 16/03/2019 at 1:48 PM, goldfishwars said:

Hakeem Butler has everything the NFL covets at receiver and yet his stock is so quiet. I mean, I think he's a first round pick and I have a few concerns about the guy. But I would expect the NFL to be way higher on him. Still think we're waiting for his stock to blow up.

The thing with Butler is that his big PLUS is that he's got this absolutely enormous catch radius.  Like it's insane, and he's got those highlight catches where he shows it off.  But he's also got all these things where he looks like a Giraffe trying to catch a football.  Not great.  It kinda puts a big dent in the whole "big catch radius" element he's got going for him.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

The thing with Butler is that his big PLUS is that he's got this absolutely enormous catch radius.  Like it's insane, and he's got those highlight catches where he shows it off.  But he's also got all these things where he looks like a Giraffe trying to catch a football.  Not great.  It kinda puts a big dent in the whole "big catch radius" element he's got going for him.

Don’t disagree, but my main point isn’t that he’s a flawless receiver – it’s that I’d be amazed that the NFL isn’t salivating over his physical potential in a way that isn’t being talked about right now.  

• Like 1

My cousin's an area scout for the Bills, and he said his favorite 7th-UDFA WR this draft is DJ Montgomery from Austin Peay. He (my cousin) was banging the table on Robert Foster last year, but I didn't really listen. I'm having finding any information on this dude (DJ Montgomery)... Anyone wanna do a deep dive?

Edited by HoboRocket
Clarification as to who "he" and "this dude" are, respectively
  • Like 1

Interesting Eagles Tight End coach Justin Peele has attended the WVU and SDSU pro days and interviewed Trevin Wesco and Kahale Warring. Partial to Tresco because he is good on ST, really good run blocker, can even play FB if need be and has soft hands...Doug Pederson can really use more 3 TE sets