2019 NFL Draft - Offensive Line

Forge

7 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

This is why guys like Travis Frederick get picked in the first round, anchor strength is more rare at the C position.  If you watch his tape he can handle 1-on-1 matchups all day long, not having to rely on a double team and then has the athleticism to pull and get to the second level. I don’t see a C in his mold in this draft.  Those will come next year.

I think of anchor strength as the ability to brace oneself from a straight bull rush. I've done a ton of weight training in my life, and I'm shocked that there's guys over 300 lb that can't anchor. I'm not even talking about moving the DLinemen in front of them, just the ability to brace themselves. I think most guys 300 lb+  that've done weight training through high school, and rigorously through college should have anchor strength. At least enough to hold off most DT bull rushes for 3-5 seconds. 

8 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

This is why guys like Travis Frederick get picked in the first round, anchor strength is more rare at the C position.  If you watch his tape he can handle 1-on-1 matchups all day long, not having to rely on a double team and then has the athleticism to pull and get to the second level. I don’t see a C in his mold in this draft.  Those will come next year.

That is also why the Cowboys stuck with Andrew Gurode. He was too stupid to make line calls but could anchor like a tree against the bull rush.

On 2/6/2019 at 8:03 PM, Jlash said:

Hmm. I sort of see it the opposite way. He's used to operating out in space and using his athleticism. Wouldn't moving everything inside where power and compact movements are so crucial to winning those one on one battles be a tough transition?

Movement skills are movement skills whether or not you're playing at guard or tackle.  It's just a different set of skills.  With tackles, it's more about your kick slide.  At guard, you're talking about moving in tight spots.

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Chris Lindstrom is such an easy evaluation, can do a bit of everything. Just slot him in and watch him his intelligence, competitiveness and technique make you better inside. One of the safest picks a team can make this year. 

Do you think #18 is too high for him?

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Chris Lindstrom is such an easy evaluation, can do a bit of everything. Just slot him in and watch him his intelligence, competitiveness and technique make you better inside. One of the safest picks a team can make this year. 

I think McGary isn't too far behind on the "safe pick" charts. Plug him in at RT, and you're good for the next 10 years at that position. A Lindstrom RG/McGary RT combo could turn your OL fortunes around, ala the Colts this past year.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:59 AM, freak_of_nature said:

I think of anchor strength as the ability to brace oneself from a straight bull rush. I've done a ton of weight training in my life, and I'm shocked that there's guys over 300 lb that can't anchor. I'm not even talking about moving the DLinemen in front of them, just the ability to brace themselves. I think most guys 300 lb+  that've done weight training through high school, and rigorously through college should have anchor strength. At least enough to hold off most DT bull rushes for 3-5 seconds. 

It's not like those 300 pound guys are going up against 190 pound average joe's. They're being bullrushed by 290+ pound freaks of nature.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It's not like those 300 pound guys are going up against 190 pound average joe's. They're being bullrushed by 290+ pound freaks of nature.

Yeah.  Exactly.  Those 300 lb guys are having to anchor against other guys who have spent more than a little bit of time in the weight room themselves.

A lot of the anchor thing is about more than just raw strength/power anyway.  You can have guys who are a beast in the gym, but don't have the balance and understanding of leverage to do anything with it on the field.

• Like 1

On 08/02/2019 at 6:36 AM, badgers0821 said:

Weirdest thing about Frederick as a prospect was how he was considered good in a booth, but a limited athlete which limited his appeal. That pick by Dallas was savaged for that reason. Then he starts playing in the NFL and quickly becomes the prime example of a how to block at the second level (obviously everything else checks off too), showing the cleanest footwork and hand placement technique. There’s so much more to quality line play than a good athletic profile.  

• Like 1

I'm watching Phil Haynes, the left guard from Wake and he's good to the point I'd give him a day two grade despite not really hearing his name mentioned in draft circles. Perhaps the combine will be a chance to get to know him. He's moves and anchors well, locks guys up quickly (seems to have really long arms) and his hand placement is good enough. This is a deep crop of interior talent, there are players who will be taken late in this draft who are better than scrubs being wheeled out in the NFL last season. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Connor McGovern literally does not get beat in pass pro and is expected to test well at the combine. Yes there's probably a few too many stalemates in the run game, but there's a lot to like no? I mean, most teams have at least one interior guy they have to shift a lot of help to. 

He is a top 5 guard in this draft class and I do think he should receive more buzz.