2019 NFL Draft - Offensive Line

Forge

On 1/7/2019 at 4:03 PM, TheVillain112 said:

Top 15-20 pick IMO.  Although, teams are dumb and undervalue RTs for some reason.  It's not like Khalil Mack, Joey Bosa, Von Miller, etc... all go up against RTs, 9_9

I'm hoping the Bengals take him at #11.  Cody Ford would be a massive upgrade over Bobby Hart...

He's really good

On 12/28/2018 at 6:39 AM, Ozzy said:

It is kind of hard to get a handle on those Wisconsin guys this year.  I mean come on that line preseason by some projected they have 3 first round picks on the OL?  I never agree with that type of ranking for them.  Edwards did not play in this game but did not have the year most thought he would of at OT and struggled in pass pro.  The OT positions in general for Wisconsin this year have not been impressive to me.  Benzschawel is very athletic and tough but kid does get beat inside from time to time and did so in big games this past season.  Is great at pulling and moving but all those guys are, when asked to pass protect consistently they cannot always hold up.  This game they were not asked to pass protect often and dominated like they should in the run game.  Mind you Willis was out that game for Miami which was key and that Miami offense was so bad the defense had no chance really. 

Jon Dietzen looked surprisingly good at tackle in this game but again it is because he was not asked to pass protect all that much and just go out there and run block.  Dieter is another guy, is very consistent and has played forever but athletically he is a little limited, was bad at tackle the past few years I thought so good he moved back to guard.  It is just odd that a group so dominating and so clearly talented on the OL would struggle so much as a team this season.  The defense not being as dominant as years past does have something to do with it sure, and the QB play.  Will see what happens, but sure some of those guys could easily climb up into the 2nd round and maybe 1st because no many other inside OL out there who have a lot of potential.  Still with Dalton Risner I view him as the clear cut best OG prospect, kid played OT most of his college career and could play RT in the NFL as well.  Could not say that about Dieter, Benzschawel or Dietzen really.  The center Biadasz is very good and could be the best of them all in the end, will see.  

Just a few thoughts:

Edwards played hurt the entire year.  He suffered a shoulder injury before the season and tried to gut it out.  I believe it was his right shoulder, which explains struggling in pass pro.  I think once healthy he will go back to his 2017 form.

Dieter only played LT one year, not a few, and it was out of pure necessity as Cole Van Lanen wasn’t ready as a true freshman.  Before that Dieter played OG and C.  Center is actually his most natural position but Biadasz was too good not to play so they put him back at OG.

I think this year Edwards is the only one with a shot in the first round and that’s because I think he will have a very good combine it healthy.  Benschawal and Dieter will probably go somewhere in rounds 2-4.

5 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

Just a few thoughts:

Edwards played hurt the entire year.  He suffered a shoulder injury before the season and tried to gut it out.  I believe it was his right shoulder, which explains struggling in pass pro.  I think once healthy he will go back to his 2017 form.

Dieter only played LT one year, not a few, and it was out of pure necessity as Cole Van Lanen wasn’t ready as a true freshman.  Before that Dieter played OG and C.  Center is actually his most natural position but Biadasz was too good not to play so they put him back at OG.

I think this year Edwards is the only one with a shot in the first round and that’s because I think he will have a very good combine it healthy.  Benschawal and Dieter will probably go somewhere in rounds 2-4.

So you think in the NFL Dieter will be a center?  How is that his most natural position?  I do not buy that really, I feel he is a guard all the way in the NFL and his some what limited athletic ability at center.  Will see but I would be surprised if he ends up as a center in the league.  My mistake I thought he played tackle some of those other years.

I have heard the Edwards was injured talk, and sure that could have hurt his play, but if he was that hurt he could not perform he should have not played.  I agree the guards will go 2nd to 4th round probably.  Edwards I just have a hard to believing he will be a 1st round pick.  He is just simply not better than Jonah Williams, Greg Little, Jawaan Taylor, Dalton Risner or Cody Ford.  Heck I would potentially take Mitch Hyatt, Trevon Tate, Kaleb McGary, Donnell Greene or Andre Dillard over him as well but sure it depends on how good he looks in the pre draft stuff.  Talented no question but again to me this past year was a disappointment, and if he was that injured he should not have played.   If he would have came back as a RS SR next year he could totally be a 1st rounder and show what he can do when healthy, not to mention the OT class is not as strong next year possibly.  Edwards could be a steal sure if he develops this year but might have to wait for the progression a little bit, will see.

Go back and watch the tape of Deiter at center. He was very good there. Everyone is down on him because they mostly got their first impression of him playing out of position tackle, but he is going to be a very good IOL in the NFL. Also, he is more than good enough as an athlete. He's underrated athletically, I think he could surprise people at the combine. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Go back and watch the tape of Deiter at center. He was very good there. Everyone is down on him because they mostly got their first impression of him playing out of position tackle, but he is going to be a very good IOL in the NFL. Also, he is more than good enough as an athlete. He's underrated athletically, I think he could surprise people at the combine. 

Yeah, he’s an odd one because he seems to be light on his feet - but didn’t deal with speed off the edge as a tackle. Does have a strong anchor though, looks really solid inside. Solid day two selection, long term starter.

38 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Watched a bunch of Cody Ford and Dalton Risner. Ford is an unbelievable mover, just really easy. Risner doesn't put a foot wrong. Top 20 players, Ford could rise much higher. 

Really want Ford to be there for the Vikings. Risner could be a good consolation prize though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

So you think in the NFL Dieter will be a center?  How is that his most natural position?  I do not buy that really, I feel he is a guard all the way in the NFL and his some what limited athletic ability at center.  Will see but I would be surprised if he ends up as a center in the league.  My mistake I thought he played tackle some of those other years.

I have heard the Edwards was injured talk, and sure that could have hurt his play, but if he was that hurt he could not perform he should have not played.  I agree the guards will go 2nd to 4th round probably.  Edwards I just have a hard to believing he will be a 1st round pick.  He is just simply not better than Jonah Williams, Greg Little, Jawaan Taylor, Dalton Risner or Cody Ford.  Heck I would potentially take Mitch Hyatt, Trevon Tate, Kaleb McGary, Donnell Greene or Andre Dillard over him as well but sure it depends on how good he looks in the pre draft stuff.  Talented no question but again to me this past year was a disappointment, and if he was that injured he should not have played.   If he would have came back as a RS SR next year he could totally be a 1st rounder and show what he can do when healthy, not to mention the OT class is not as strong next year possibly.  Edwards could be a steal sure if he develops this year but might have to wait for the progression a little bit, will see.

How do you knock a guy for playing through an injury? He wasn't at his best but he wanted to be out there with his teammates and fighting with them. People say that these prospects sitting out bowl games are giving up on their teams and while i'm not suggesting you were one of them, I just don't see how you give a guy a negative mark for playing through an injury and being there for his football family. And still, while playing injured, he was still one of the better tackles in CFB this year and his prior tape also adds to that notion that he is also one of the better offensive tackles in the nation. Certainly better than the 11th best tackle that you have him slated behind in your offensive line pecking order. 

Edited by skhurst0398

2 hours ago, skhurst0398 said:

How do you knock a guy for playing through an injury? He wasn't at his best but he wanted to be out there with his teammates and fighting with them. People say that these prospects sitting out bowl games are giving up on their teams and while i'm not suggesting you were one of them, I just don't see how you give a guy a negative mark for playing through an injury and being there for his football family. And still, while playing injured, he was still one of the better tackles in CFB this year and his prior tape also adds to that notion that he is also one of the better offensive tackles in the nation. Certainly better than the 11th best tackle that you have him slated behind in your offensive line pecking order. 

I love a guy playing for his teammates especially those who play in their bowl games, but when I say he had a bad year, and yes he did not have a great year to just say he was injured that is why.  Well you could say that about any player playing poorly if you really wanted to.

I expected a lot more out of him this year and he did not reach that expectation.  Again I feel he could easily be a 1st rounder next year in 2020 if he progressed and he was not at the top of his game this past season.  Did you not watch him in all the games, because some he just simply looked bad, aka the Michigan game and a few others.  The offensive line had the type of hype coming into the year as having three 1st round picks?   I believe that has never happened before in the draft, if that much talent is on the O line they should almost have never gave up a sack.  Obviously that is not the case and some of them struggled, maybe it was just too high of expectations I had for them.  Sure they ran the ball well but that usually happens regardless.

Is he the 11th best tackle, probably not I just said I would argue one could potentially take all of those other guys ahead of Edwards.  And in terms of the top five I listed, you would be nuts to take Edwards over any of those five I feel.  Great for him to play through an injury in theory but if he was healthy enough to play maybe it was not that bad of an injury, and again one could technically say that about any player playing bad, they are injured because usually they are to some degree, almost all football players are at times in the season.  But playing bad is playing bad, hard to just blame that on injuries all the time.

I think a lot of the interest with Edwards is his lack of experience at that position and what he used to play in high school and how he has gotten so much bigger while in college.  People think he will just blossom into this great tackle, and maybe he will he just did not this past year and I thought he would have.  

6 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

You think he will play center in the NFL?  Where you think he will be drafted?  And yes most go the impression from him when he was at LT I agree, he did play better as a guard this year but I was not amazed by his play by any means.  Solid but is probably not the best guard on their team.  

I'm not a Cody Ford fan. For being as big as he is, he gets pushed backwards way too much for my liking. He is extremely talented and he's got an elite size to speed ratio, but he doesn't play up to his size. He is really good at blocking in the zone game as he easily gets to linebackers, but he gets controlled by DL a little too much for my liking. I don't think he's going to be a great player in the NFL. He's different than Matt Kalil as a player, but I think they'll both end up being similarly tiered OL. He's ok as a starter, but you'll always be looking for an upgrade.

Oh, and I don't think he's an OT. I think he's a pulling guard in a power scheme or a zone guard in a ZBS. I want him to be nasty, but he just isn't.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I love a guy playing for his teammates especially those who play in their bowl games, but when I say he had a bad year, and yes he did not have a great year to just say he was injured that is why.  Well you could say that about any player playing poorly if you really wanted to.

I expected a lot more out of him this year and he did not reach that expectation.  Again I feel he could easily be a 1st rounder next year in 2020 if he progressed and he was not at the top of his game this past season.  Did you not watch him in all the games, because some he just simply looked bad, aka the Michigan game and a few others.  The offensive line had the type of hype coming into the year as having three 1st round picks?   I believe that has never happened before in the draft, if that much talent is on the O line they should almost have never gave up a sack.  Obviously that is not the case and some of them struggled, maybe it was just too high of expectations I had for them.  Sure they ran the ball well but that usually happens regardless.

Is he the 11th best tackle, probably not I just said I would argue one could potentially take all of those other guys ahead of Edwards.  And in terms of the top five I listed, you would be nuts to take Edwards over any of those five I feel.  Great for him to play through an injury in theory but if he was healthy enough to play maybe it was not that bad of an injury, and again one could technically say that about any player playing bad, they are injured because usually they are to some degree, almost all football players are at times in the season.  But playing bad is playing bad, hard to just blame that on injuries all the time.

I think a lot of the interest with Edwards is his lack of experience at that position and what he used to play in high school and how he has gotten so much bigger while in college.  People think he will just blossom into this great tackle, and maybe he will he just did not this past year and I thought he would have.  

I get the point you were trying to make now and agree with you on using the injury excuse to try and explain a player not playing well. 

My big OL board:

1. Jonah Williams/LT
2. David Edwards/RT
3. Michael Dieter/OG
4. Chris Lindstrom/OG
5. Greg Little/LT
6. Mitch Hyatt/LT
7. Max Scharping/RT
8. Jawaan Taylor/RT
9. Dalton Risner/RT
10. Yodny Cajuste/LT
11. Martez Ivey/OG
12. Cody Ford/OG
13. Andre Dillard/LT
14. Connor McGovern/OG
15. Garrett Brumfield/OG

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

My big OL board:

1. Jonah Williams/LT
2. David Edwards/RT
3. Michael Dieter/OG
4. Chris Lindstrom/OG
5. Greg Little/LT
6. Mitch Hyatt/LT
7. Max Scharping/RT
8. Jawaan Taylor/RT
9. Dalton Risner/RT
10. Yodny Cajuste/LT
11. Martez Ivey/OG
12. Cody Ford/OG
13. Andre Dillard/LT
14. Connor McGovern/OG
15. Garrett Brumfield/OG

No real stand out centers in this draft.  You seem to agree. Am I missing someone?