2019 NFL Draft - Offensive Line

Forge

Am I the only one a bit underwhelmed when watch Jawaan Taylor?

He's got good movement skills for a guy that size so I can see the appeal for his potential. I feel as though he should be dominating 1 vs. 1's and I just don't see it. I've yet to see him blow someone off the ball like he should be capable of. He lacks that aggressiveness and nasty demeanor lineman should have. He's also inconsistent in pass protection and gets beat more than he should. I'm starting to think his best position might be at guard.

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I'm watching Phil Haynes, the left guard from Wake and he's good to the point I'd give him a day two grade despite not really hearing his name mentioned in draft circles. Perhaps the combine will be a chance to get to know him. He's moves and anchors well, locks guys up quickly (seems to have really long arms) and his hand placement is good enough. This is a deep crop of interior talent, there are players who will be taken late in this draft who are better than scrubs being wheeled out in the NFL last season. 

Vastly under-rated prospect. Has better movement skills than probably half the guards in the League today. That being seen it is difficult to tell exactly how good he is at the position because of the weak competition. Here is another vid:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

He's got good movement skills for a guy that size so I can see the appeal for his potential. I feel as though he should be dominating 1 vs. 1's and I just don't see it. I've yet to see him blow someone off the ball like he should be capable of. He lacks that aggressiveness and nasty demeanor lineman should have. He's also inconsistent in pass protection and gets beat more than he should. I'm starting to think his best position might be at guard.

He's still a tackle to me, but I gave him a 3rd-4th round grade. He's got a lot of tools, but seems lazy rather than incapable. He gets beaten by some dudes that have no business beating him. And you're right that he doesn't kill dudes in the run game like he should. His feet are excellent and he's shown to be capable of mirroring excellent speed rushers, but there is no consistency in this. I'd be pretty mad if my team took him in the 1st round. I do like him as a mid round steal, but that's all he is to me right now. When I saw the 1st round hype I noped off of the Jawaan Taylor hype train.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's still a tackle to me, but I gave him a 3rd-4th round grade. He's got a lot of tools, but seems lazy rather than incapable. He gets beaten by some dudes that have no business beating him. 

Honestly, he seems disinterested and just going through the motions of the game. I don't see any drive or will. And I don't think that's something you can coach.

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Whats everyone think of Dilliard? Think he might be the overall best linemen in the draft but probably a RT.

I think just about all of the 1st round OTs are capable of playing LT except for maybe Cody Ford.  They would all probably be better at RT because it is the slightly easier position to play, but they are capable of LT.

On 2/22/2019 at 10:29 AM, SmittyBacall said:

I think this speaks more to how smooth he is.  You're right he doesn't try to book guys off the ball, but people get too obsessed with that at Ol and you don't have to do it to be an effective OT in the NFL.  He's a very good blocker positionally and knows how to angle defenders to get them out of the play.  He's a little inconsistent in pass pro, but most of that is stuff you can develop.

I absolutely LOVE Dillard.  He's not as aggressive or powerful as Trent Williams, but he's that kind of athlete and the play style is similar.  He's got a unique set that he gets away with because he's such a good athlete.  He's kind of a Trent Williams/Terron Armstead hybrid, but I see him as a legit top 10 LT in a few years, and even higher if he can get more powerful and aggressive like Trent did after entering the league.

Edited by Duffman57

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

Just started watching him recently, and I echo this statement. When the draft process is all said and done it wouldn't surprise me if he was the first tackle off the board.

It'd surprise me if he weren't the 1st OT taken at this point. He's only going to rise with the combine.

• Like 1