2019 NFL Draft - Offensive Line

Forge

Does your team need a C? Check out Ryan Anderson on Wake Forest. I don't know what his PFF grades are, but they should be good, because I've never seen him lose a snap. He can also play OG, but he dominates at C and has like round 7/UDFA level hype. I like him a lot. Put him in your mocks in the 6th round.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I like him a lot as well, I just think he can benefit from one more year. Then he should be a sure fire 1st IMO

F that, I hope the Eagles draft him in April. What he needs is NFL coaching. I don't know which NFL LT to compare him to, but he's a dancing bear with nice functional strength. He's not Tyron Smith/Terron Armstead/Trent Williams, but I like him more than Cam Robinson and Cordy Glenn coming out. Lewan might be a good comparison. 

Edited by Jeezla

15 hours ago, Jeezla said:

F that, I hope the Eagles draft him in April. What he needs is NFL coaching. I don't know which NFL LT to compare him to, but he's a dancing bear with nice functional strength. He's not Tyron Smith/Terron Armstead/Trent Williams, but I like him more than Cam Robinson and Cordy Glenn coming out. Lewan might be a good comparison. 

Hate to break it to ya but the coaching he's getting at Iowa is probably better than the coaching he would get on a majority of NFL teams.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, upriser7 said:

Are there any good Left Tackle prospects? Vikings could badly use one

O'Neill has played well when he has filled in this year for a late 2nd round pick.  But yeah they need OL help of course with Reiff in and out constantly and Remmers the same.  Jonah Williams is the best OT available and Greg Little is a super star LT prospect and great in pass pro.  The Vikings will not be able to get either one unless they lose the rest of the games they play.  Trey Adams I heard is possibly coming back to school so he might be out.  Andre Dillard I like a lot and could be taken late 1st or somewhere in the 2nd round so he is an option.  Dalton Risner is a fine player as well, more of a OG but if we could get him might be a smart move, could play RT as well.  But yeah the super stars of the group will be gone early potentially top 10-15 picks.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I think OL is going to become priority number 2 behind QB. Teams will grab guys much higher than they are valued due to supply/demand. Especially with the garbage lines the NFL is trotting out there now. Nearly every team in the NFL could go O-line round 1

I agree with that.  But I do not see a ton of offensive linemen in the up coming draft instantly becoming 1st rounders just because.  The DL is loaded and teams will go with those more talented guys even with offensive line needs possibly.  With teams running the ball less it is getting harder and harder to pass block for so long much less with all the misdirection and long developing plays.  Then again there are a lot of quick passes so one would think that could help the OL, and it is not like defenses are dominating on the scoreboard.  But they are going all out on blitzes because in some ways that is the only option to stop an offense because few can hold up in pass coverage that long.  

There is a demand for good OL play but how the game is played does greatly affect how difficult that position has become.  Even more so than it was before.  My guess is run blocking is far more fun and easier to do than pass protection, and run blocking is not very important in the NFL game of today, not to mention the increase in plays than are ran which makes it even harder because of volume.

Take the Saints, they can run the ball well, they have a HOF QB and solid receivers.  Even they cannot just sit back in the pocket and protect the passer and they have arguably the best OL in football.  They do a ton of quick small and short passes and again have a great run game.   But if left in a typical three or four step drop under the center, no way they could hold up all game long like that.  It is strange that the defenses are so successful in rushing the passer but against the pass they have no chance sometimes, so again teams just go all freaking out blitzing and will give up the big plays.  And with that type of pass pro needs, some good players will look very bad.  That even happens in college football with undersized rushers beating solid tackles around the edge.  

Some NFL teams are lucky that Jonah Williams and Greg Little are out there, they are by far the best tackles and OL available and are some of the best ones to come into the NFL in a long time.  Best OT talent with those two to come into the NFL in arguably 5-6 years.  

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:48 AM, Ozzy said:

Some NFL teams are lucky that Jonah Williams and Greg Little are out there, they are by far the best tackles and OL available and are some of the best ones to come into the NFL in a long time.  Best OT talent with those two to come into the NFL in arguably 5-6 years.  

I haven't had a chance to see how Jonah fared against Miss St. Did he match up against Sweat at all?

I haven't seen many people hype up Greg Little like that in some time. What do you think he's done this season to show that he could be one of the better LT's to come out in a while?

I'm not trying to interrogate, I'd just like to pick your brain on these things, as I enjoy the insight from your posts.

5 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I haven't had a chance to see how Jonah fared against Miss St. Did he match up against Sweat at all?

I haven't seen many people hype up Greg Little like that in some time. What do you think he's done this season to show that he could be one of the better LT's to come out in a while?

I'm not trying to interrogate, I'd just like to pick your brain on these things, as I enjoy the insight from your posts.

Jonah matched up against Sweat a few times but not that often, of course why would they put Sweat on the best offensive lineman for Alabama when you could just move him to the other side.  Jonah did give up against a sack against Rivers who is a talented DL for Miss State, but really that was Tua holding the ball for too long and he made an odd turn.  In general Jonah is really strong at the point of attack and has a good punch to him, athletic enough in pass protection and nasty enough in the run game.  

As for Greg Little, who are these other LTs in the up coming draft that are so great?  Heck who are these great OTs in college football in general right now who you are wildly comfortable with in pass protection?  The fact is not many, not many OTs at all would I be totally firm and comfortable with in pass pro at all times.  Andre Dillard of Washington State is growing on me as potentially another one of those guys but guys solid in pass pro but guys like like Risner and Ivey  I feel are guards at the next level and Trey Adams has been injured all year and might not declare. Jonah Williams is one of them however and Greg Little is the other.  Little is extremely sound in pass protection, sure he probably has to get a little stronger and or nasty in the run game but in the NFL today few teams even run the ball that often.  The kid is a star in pass protection and has great feet.  I have not see many OTs coming out of college this sound in pass protection, even against Alabama and that great front earlier in the year, he did not get dominated by any means and handled himself really well.  Kid has good technique and a good pass pro set, fundamental and technically sound.  He is only a junior and has played since he was a freshman, kid has a lot of skills and ton of talent and upside I feel.  

• Like 1

We aren't getting refined OL that do a multitude of things well in the NFL. Offensive Tackles are scheme-specific more nowadays than ever. You're looking for skill set, not so much the game tape IMO. Greg Little has an unbelievable skill set. Not different from Laremy Tunsil's skill set. But yeah, he's inconsistent and isn't NASTY. He's a position blocker for the most part right now and doesn't drive guys into the ground routinely. It seems like teams either make you a nasty road grader or a finesse position blocker. We aren't getting to see both styles employed because of the simplicity of college offenses. Spread OL (80% of teams) position block and wall off defenders with quickness. Power run schemes (20% of teams) don't ask their guys to reach block very often.

We are also seeing more RPO in college, which asks the OL to block everything the same. Zone block everything, even passes. The ball is coming out quickly and the DE's don't have nearly the same amount of time to make splash plays as they used to. In the NFL when you have 3-4 guys that can play press man on every team, you aren't getting these quick easy throws and your OT's get exposed on the longer developing pass routes. I think this is more of the problem than anything else with these prospects. We don't get to see them block the same way they're going to be asked to block in the NFL.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2018 at 7:48 AM, Ozzy said:

Granted I haven't really dug into the two of them significantly, but this feels like we're having this same discussion year after year.