2019 NFL Draft - Offensive Line

Forge

2 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Jonah Williams did well, it kind of speaks volumes that the coaches at the combine wanted him as the example for drills and not the first player alphabetically (which is what they normally do). I've heard some people say NFL teams are higher on Cody Ford, I've heard some say NFL teams are higher on Jawaan Taylor, but this is a smokescreen/diversion season, so it's hard to trust anyone's sources really even if they are legit. Jonah didn't test well enough to pass the thresholds of a team like Green Bay, but he really shouldn't be hurt by that. He's still a good OL athlete and he still was a damn good player at Alabama. I could see him dropping out of the top 10 if there's a run on QBs and EDGE/DL though.

It’d be tough seeing him get by Cincinnati at 11.

6 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Jonah Williams did well, it kind of speaks volumes that the coaches at the combine wanted him as the example for drills and not the first player alphabetically (which is what they normally do). I've heard some people say NFL teams are higher on Cody Ford, I've heard some say NFL teams are higher on Jawaan Taylor, but this is a smokescreen/diversion season, so it's hard to trust anyone's sources really even if they are legit. Jonah didn't test well enough to pass the thresholds of a team like Green Bay, but he really shouldn't be hurt by that. He's still a good OL athlete and he still was a damn good player at Alabama. I could see him dropping out of the top 10 if there's a run on QBs and EDGE/DL though.

He's dropping out of the top 10, I think you'd better get used to it especially if the rumors of Kyler-to-Arizona are true.

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

At this point, I'm pretty sure Andre Dilliard has passed him and I'd venture a guess that Dalton Risner has as well.  Jonah Williams tested really, really poorly.  IF you're drafting him, you're throwing the Combine out the window.  26th percentile in arm length, 42nd in bench press, 41st in 20 yard SS, and 30th in 3-cone.  He's probably OT3 now.  That's probably somewhere in that 18-24 range.

You're not approaching this the way the majority of NFL teams evaluate OL. The percentile ranking for arm length, bench press, short shuttle, and 3-cone doesn't really matter It's more about just meeting different thresholds and he did that for a majority of teams. His combine performance would have checked a lot of boxes for teams, very few if any would categorize his combine performance as being poor. He probably wouldn't meet the Packers threshold for the short shuttle, but they're fairly aggressive with their thresholds and they would be smart to make an exception for a player like him if available because he clearly shows the traits on the field that you're trying to find from a good short shuttle time. 

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

He's dropping out of the top 10, I think you'd better get used to it especially if the rumors of Kyler-to-Arizona are true.

Why would you believe any rumors being spread right now? Teams are literally spreading false rumors themselves to increase their trade options. They want to be seen as potentially interested in as many players as possible so they can use that as leverage to get trade talks started. Kyler to Arizona is highly unlikely. I would bet money that Josh Allen has a better chance of going #1 than Kyler Murray (and I like Murray).

1 minute ago, IDOG_det said:

You're not approaching this the way the majority of NFL teams evaluate OL. The percentile ranking for arm length, bench press, short shuttle, and 3-cone doesn't really matter It's more about just meeting different thresholds and he did that for a majority of teams. His combine performance would have checked a lot of boxes for teams, very few if any would categorize his combine performance as being poor. He probably wouldn't meet the Packers threshold for the short shuttle, but they're fairly aggressive with their thresholds and they would be smart to make an exception for a player like him if available because he clearly shows the traits on the field that you're trying to find from a good short shuttle time. 

What tresholds did Jonah Williams hit?  Most look for 34" arm length, and he was 33 5/8" which is short of what you're looking for RT.  His 3-cone of 8+ isn't very good.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was off the Packers' board all together board, which quite frankly is disappointing because I actually liked him.  His tape wasn't special.  If he played for Auburn, we wouldn't be talking about him as this top 10 prospect.

Just now, IDOG_det said:

Why would you believe any rumors being spread right now? Teams are literally spreading false rumors themselves to increase their trade options. They want to be seen as potentially interested in as many players as possible so they can use that as leverage to get trade talks started. Kyler to Arizona is highly unlikely. I would bet money that Josh Allen has a better chance of going #1 than Kyler Murray (and I like Murray).

Because he's a RT/OG prospect as of now, unless you truly believe the numbers don't paint an accurate picture.  Haskins and Murray are going top 10.  Add in all the EDGE prospects (Bosa, Allen, Sweat, Burns, Gary, etc.) who are in the mix, plus the dozen of other prospects.  Let me ask you this, what separates Dillard from Jonah?

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe, but I think that speaks more to what Dillard won't be than what Jonah will be.

Do you not see the comparison between Jonah Williams and David Bakhtiari? Both of them model their games after Joe Thomas and both are pretty damn impressive imitations. It's funny, my comp for Jonah Williams before the combine was David Bakhtiari and he put up damn near identical numbers. The sudden dislike for the best offensive lineman all year long is baffling to me. 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

What tresholds did Jonah Williams hit?  Most look for 34" arm length, and he was 33 5/8" which is short of what you're looking for RT.  His 3-cone of 8+ isn't very good.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was off the Packers' board all together board, which quite frankly is disappointing because I actually liked him.  His tape wasn't special.  If he played for Auburn, we wouldn't be talking about him as this top 10 prospect.

33" is good enough for most teams and no team is going to throw away elite tape over 3/8", especially when his wingspan is above average for his arm length (wingspan measurements are better anyway). His 3-cone is the only test that wouldn't meet standard thresholds, although the 3-cone isn't often used for tackles, it's more intended to get an idea of how quickly a guard can pull. Would you ignore elite tape for a single below average agility test that has little translation to the position he plays? His short-shuttle meets minimum thresholds. 10-yard split meets minimum thresholds. Bench press meets minimum thresholds. Explosion score isn't great but that is also a pretty useless metric as far as thresholds go, its only good for identifying good developmental guys, not eliminating below-average performers. Also, he would be getting the same hype if he played anywhere else. His talent and ability would be clear no matter what jersey he's wearing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because he's a RT/OG prospect as of now, unless you truly believe the numbers don't paint an accurate picture.  Haskins and Murray are going top 10.  Add in all the EDGE prospects (Bosa, Allen, Sweat, Burns, Gary, etc.) who are in the mix, plus the dozen of other prospects.  Let me ask you this, what separates Dillard from Jonah?

Jonah Williams is a left tackle. He has played on the right side before and his skillset could translate to guard, but any reasonable team needing a left tackle should view him as a left tackle. Nothing important separates Andre Dillard from Jonah Williams, however a lot separates Jonah Williams from Andre Dillard. It all pretty much relates back to Jonah knowing how to play the position at a high level and proving it repeatedly on the field, while Dillard showed he hasn't been taught how to play the poaition and repeatedly displayed techniques or a lack thereof that will get him beat at the NFL level. Dillard jumped further and ran faster in spandex though so can't forget that. 

You kind of stated it though, two-three QBs, a handful of front 7 players, and maybe three WR/TE could go in front of him. That still puts his floor at the middle of the first. The only way he goes lower is if teams actually have Ford/Taylor ahead of him and those rumors aren't just smoke to get teams thinking 30 different guys could go top 10. Which is doubtful considering he was everyone favorite all year long heading into the combine and smoke season.