2019 NFL Draft - Offensive Line

Forge

On 12/9/2018 at 11:09 PM, ET80 said:

Thoughts on Andre Dillard?

#1 the guys is a hard worker. He came in to wash st as a 3 star recruit at like 255 pounds. Now his playing weight is a solid ~295-300. 

Hes got very quick feet and can handle the speed rush of the NFL. Got a good kick slide and quick hands to deal with pass rush moves. He doesn’t quite have the strength to deal with Khalil Mack and Myles Garrett type bull rushes but I’m sure that will just take some time. That said he’s still a good run blocker and is very good at getting up to LB at the second level. 

He’s a solid late 1st/2nd rounder with potential to be a LT.

6 hours ago, pnies20 said:

Got a good kick slide

How can you call it a kick slide if he isn't using a kick slide technique? "Kick slide" isn't just another name for a pass set, it's an actual technique. You "kick" back with your drive foot and slide your post foot an equal distance. Thus the name "kick slide". Dillard doesn't use a real technique that's accepted at the NFL level. He uses a drop back/shuffle/backpedal technique that was popularized by Sonny Dykes. They call it a vertical set, but that's a disingenuous name for it because that name is already used for a legitimate pass set technique. It generally works at the college level because it is pretty much always used in combination with wide splits (that lengthen the distance the defender has to go to get to the quarterback and limits some twists/stunts a defense might want to use) and a quick passing game that reduces the time the OL has to block for. The same can't be said at the next level, no one uses extra wide splits in the NFL and no (good) offense can so heavily rely on passes that need to come out incredibly quick. That's one significant reason why that technique doesn't work at the NFL level, it has to be used within an offensive system that is not used at the NFL level (another main reason is that it doesn't work well against great pass rushers which are pretty common in the NFL). 

We've been through this with guys like Cedric Ogbuehi, Germain Ifedi, Jason Spriggs, etc. They get hyped up because they way they play looks pretty, they're athletic, they get good PFF ratings, and then they end up falling way short of expectations in the NFL. Dillard has good tools but he doesn't have the techniques to use them properly. He'll be a practice squad type of guy the moment he gets to an NFL facility. He has potential but it's hard to teach guys in the NFL with such limited practice time so it's hard to close the gap between what he is and what he could be. There's no way he should be drafted before day 3, and even then you should be able to find better players in round 4 and 5. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

How can you call it a kick slide if he isn't using a kick slide technique? "Kick slide" isn't just another name for a pass set, it's an actual technique. You "kick" back with your drive foot and slide your post foot an equal distance. Thus the name "kick slide". Dillard doesn't use a real technique that's accepted at the NFL level. He uses a drop back/shuffle/backpedal technique that was popularized by Sonny Dykes. They call it a vertical set, but that's a disingenuous name for it because that name is already used for a legitimate pass set technique. It generally works at the college level because it is pretty much always used in combination with wide splits (that lengthen the distance the defender has to go to get to the quarterback and limits some twists/stunts a defense might want to use) and a quick passing game that reduces the time the OL has to block for. The same can't be said at the next level, no one uses extra wide splits in the NFL and no (good) offense can so heavily rely on passes that need to come out incredibly quick. That's one significant reason why that technique doesn't work at the NFL level, it has to be used within an offensive system that is not used at the NFL level (another main reason is that it doesn't work well against great pass rushers which are pretty common in the NFL). 

We've been through this with guys like Cedric Ogbuehi, Germain Ifedi, Jason Spriggs, etc. They get hyped up because they way they play looks pretty, they're athletic, they get good PFF ratings, and then they end up falling way short of expectations in the NFL. Dillard has good tools but he doesn't have the techniques to use them properly. He'll be a practice squad type of guy the moment he gets to an NFL facility. He has potential but it's hard to teach guys in the NFL with such limited practice time so it's hard to close the gap between what he is and what he could be. There's no way he should be drafted before day 3, and even then you should be able to find better players in round 4 and 5. 

Yawn........

3 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

1047.gif

Lol... I know what a kickslide is. I watched arguably the best do it for the past decade in Joe Thomas. It was beautiful. I made a quick post while I was doing something else. I agree with you somewhat about his current state as a pass protector. Part of the issue is that he hasn't really faced a speed guy that really bends (pause while you condescendingly explain what bending is). Once players like granderson from Wyoming for example really tried to get around the corner he kicked and got back there. I guess he really hasn't needed to yet and it hasn't developed to an NFL level kick slide. If he gets drafted in the 3rd or 4th I'm running to the podium. 

12 hours ago, byrdbrane said:

Whats  FF thoughts on Yodny Cajuste?  He displays really good mobility and functional power- seems to have good football IQ, I see him as a bottom of R1 or R2 guy.

That is accurate. He needs some work on technique i.e. punch, footwork plus more functional upper body strength. Might not be a pro bowler but should develop into a quality long time starter.

9 hours ago, TVScout said:

That is accurate. He needs some work on technique i.e. punch, footwork plus more functional upper body strength. Might not be a pro bowler but should develop into a quality long time starter.

Some pundits think he would be better served kicking inside- do you agree with that?

I would love to see him in Philadelphia- they need a LT and a LG so hey

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Agree. Biadasz is a superstar C prospect. I would assume he's going to declare, but we'll see...I think he's a RS Soph

Very slim chance he declares for this class. Only a handful of OL declare early, it's incredibly rare for a rSO to declare early, and a Wisconsin OL is even less likely to do so.

6 hours ago, byrdbrane said:

Some pundits think he would be better served kicking inside- do you agree with that?

That's just boiler plate talk. Along with Dillard I think Cajuste is a 2nd round developmental LT.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, byrdbrane said:

I don't think so. He plays tall naturally and would struggle to keep leverage inside. Can't anchor against the bull rush. Will get rag dolled by elite DTs. He has little contact power, just walls off the DL. 

20 hours ago, byrdbrane said:

It's because he's short. I like Cajuste, but I have a hard time pegging him somewhere in the NFL. He does have really short arms and isn't effective as a run blocker. His feet are very good and he's clearly a good athlete, but he is so darn limited in what he can do in the run game. And it seems like he's got short arms and is a wee bit older than most as a draft prospect. I could definitely see him sliding as a result.

I'd keep him at LT for now.