2019 NFL Draft - Offensive Line

Forge

On 12/20/2018 at 8:43 PM, NoDakViking said:

Which Wisconsin OL will make the best pro?

It depends on how injured David Edwards was this year. It's either him or Biadasz. Benz is probably a decent starter at OG, but nothing special. Edwards is a former-TE who could have a good combine if he's healthy. Biadasz was the best guy on that OL the past two years despite being the youngest.

On 12/21/2018 at 9:14 PM, IDOG_det said:

Very slim chance he declares for this class. Only a handful of OL declare early, it's incredibly rare for a rSO to declare early, and a Wisconsin OL is even less likely to do so.

fwiw, the Badgers are taking current DL, former OG Kayden Lyles and he's taking the 2nd team C reps during bowl practice. There's no reason for him to take those reps at center unless they think Biadasz is leaving. I'm not saying he is, but that fact makes me think that UW at least thinks that he will.

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Sounds like Alaric Jackson will be returning to school. Bummer. Same for Trey Adams.

Kaleb McGary can make himself a lot of money at the combine if he can convince teams he can play LT.

I was never an amazing fan of McGary, I always have thought Adams was a better prospect.  McGary does have good size and athletic ability but could argue Hilbers might be a better OT in the end and he is on Washington as well.  As a pure LT pretty hard to beat Jonah Williams and Greg Little that is for sure, but then it does take a drop off after that, Mitch Hyatt has some ability but has been mostly hype but at least has consistent starting experience.  But yeah there are not a ton of great LTs outside of Williams and Little that is for sure.

4 hours ago, rcon14 said:

fwiw, the Badgers are taking current DL, former OG Kayden Lyles and he's taking the 2nd team C reps during bowl practice. There's no reason for him to take those reps at center unless they think Biadasz is leaving. I'm not saying he is, but that fact makes me think that UW at least thinks that he will.

He's taking 2nd team reps. It likely just means they want to get a better look at someone at center because you can never have enough OL who can snap the ball. A lot of teams use bowl practices to get an extended look at guys for the following season. 

On 12/8/2018 at 8:57 AM, IDOG_det said:

He's a difficult evaluation. Plays with some good technique, I'm sure he grades out highly in his room (i.e. % of time he did his job right), but he doesn't generate a ton of movement, he doesn't finish the way you'd like, and there are very few examples of him taking a pass set at Kansas State. Coaches will probably love him, scouts probably won't. A team that runs a lot of zone should like him. Teams will have to evaluate his ability to take a pass set during the offseason portion of the draft process. IDK if he's going to the senior bowl, but that would be huge for him if he can prove himself there. If not he'll likely have to do it in private workouts for the teams. Combine doesn't show you much, a pro day could but they typically don't.

This probably a reach but watching Dalton Risner, I see a lot of similarities to Andrew Witworth.  Technically sound, and doesn't make a lot of mistakes in pass protections (Which is needed because Risner isn't a great athlete).  He's not Witworth, but I could se Risner being a fine pro at RT and someone that can start very early on.  I'd be happy with replacing Bobby Hart at RT with Risner for the Bengals...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I've heard the name Jawann Taylor being the possible 1st tackle off the board recently passing Williams and Little.  How would you rank those 3?  Are they the clear top 3 in the class?

That's one that surprised me. Admittedly, I haven't keyed in on him yet, but as a UF fan, I never thought of him as a first round pick. Maybe I've just overlooked him.

6 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

This probably a reach but watching Dalton Risner, I see a lot of similarities to Andrew Witworth.  Technically sound, and doesn't make a lot of mistakes in pass protections (Which is needed because Risner isn't a great athlete).  He's not Witworth, but I could se Risner being a fine pro at RT and someone that can start very early on.  I'd be happy with replacing Bobby Hart at RT with Risner for the Bengals...

Whoa there, Villain. Don't you talk about my sweet Whit like that. Risner is a puny, little man compared to Whit.

Edited by jrry32

4 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I only watched a little bit but Benzschawel cleared a huge hole on their 2nd TD

It is kind of hard to get a handle on those Wisconsin guys this year.  I mean come on that line preseason by some projected they have 3 first round picks on the OL?  I never agree with that type of ranking for them.  Edwards did not play in this game but did not have the year most thought he would of at OT and struggled in pass pro.  The OT positions in general for Wisconsin this year have not been impressive to me.  Benzschawel is very athletic and tough but kid does get beat inside from time to time and did so in big games this past season.  Is great at pulling and moving but all those guys are, when asked to pass protect consistently they cannot always hold up.  This game they were not asked to pass protect often and dominated like they should in the run game.  Mind you Willis was out that game for Miami which was key and that Miami offense was so bad the defense had no chance really. 

Jon Dietzen looked surprisingly good at tackle in this game but again it is because he was not asked to pass protect all that much and just go out there and run block.  Dieter is another guy, is very consistent and has played forever but athletically he is a little limited, was bad at tackle the past few years I thought so good he moved back to guard.  It is just odd that a group so dominating and so clearly talented on the OL would struggle so much as a team this season.  The defense not being as dominant as years past does have something to do with it sure, and the QB play.  Will see what happens, but sure some of those guys could easily climb up into the 2nd round and maybe 1st because no many other inside OL out there who have a lot of potential.  Still with Dalton Risner I view him as the clear cut best OG prospect, kid played OT most of his college career and could play RT in the NFL as well.  Could not say that about Dieter, Benzschawel or Dietzen really.  The center Biadasz is very good and could be the best of them all in the end, will see.  

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Whoa there, Villain. Don't you talk about my sweet Whit like that. Risner is a puny, little man compared to Whit.

Yeah, there's a size difference, although I'll be interested in seeing what Risner weighs in at.  He looks bigger than he's listed.  The Whit comparison is because he seems very similar technique wise in his pass sets.  Just watch some games of him pass blocking, and you might see what I'm seeing...

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Yeah, there's a size difference, although I'll be interested in seeing what Risner weighs in at.  He looks bigger than he's listed.  The Whit comparison is because he seems very similar technique wise in his pass sets.  Just watch some games of him pass blocking, and you might see what I'm seeing...

This is a strange comp. Whit is a 6'7" tackle. Risner is a 6'4" center.

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

This is a strange comp. Whit is a 6'7" tackle. Risner is a 6'4" center.

I do think Risner can play OT in the NFL.  Is he going to be an elite OT in the NFL? Probably not.  His ceiling doesn't seem that high.  But he seem like he can be an above average RT, in a league where there a lot of bad tackles today (See Bobby Hart).  I would give him a chance there before kicking him inside.  And yes, the size difference is there, which is why I'm curious where he comes in exactly.

My entire statement was more that I see them as very similar in terms of technique and flaws.  Whit is a great OT, but his weakness is speed rushers.  Risner will be similar.  While Risner is smaller he doesn't get beat by bull rushers because of his technique and ability to anchor.  Will be different in the NFL when going against a bull rush from say Khalil Mack, but I still see Risner as a poor mans Whitworth.  I'm not saying he'll be Withworth or that his ceiling is Withworth, but I see him as an undersized Withworth.  Their game really does reflect each other IMO...