Week 7 GDT: Saints (4-1) @ Ravens (4-2)

Canadian Saint

Big game that starts the toughest stretch of games for us in the season (@ Ravens, @ Vikings, vs. Rams, @ Cincy, vs. Eagles, vs. Atlanta). I don't think it's an exaggeration to say these next 6 weeks will determine how much of a contender we are. I also think this BYE week was perfectly placed for us. 

This game is going to come down to match ups. Ravens have a top D (3rd in yards/game and 2nd in points/game IIRC) and we have a top offense (duh). Personally for me, this game is going to be won and lost on how our secondary matches up with the Ravens WRs. Crabtree, Brown and Snead make up a pretty formidable pass catching group that has lead to a resurgence of ELITE QB Joe Flacco this season.

Also nice video breakdown of their D vs. our O on youtube (This guy's videos are awesome!):

What do you guys think?

Depending on how the defense holds up, this might be a game I think we should slow play. Emphasize Ingram and Kamara on the ground, don't get discouraged by those two and three yard gains early, and play field position if we have to. Not this teams style so far, but this has the makings of one of *those* games where the Saints turn the ball over early, set up short fields for the other team, and dig themselves a hole they cant get out of against a stout defense.

Of course, if Flacco and the Ravens can consistently drive 75+ yards on us for touchdowns then nvm

2 hours ago, JMG5 said:

Brees is due for a let down game. I expect it to come this week.

I agree.  He's not gonna last all season on this pace.  He's on pace for the GOAT QB season.  He'll come back down to Earth(his Earth), and no easier game to come back down to Earth on, then the number one D in the league at their place.

If we're as good as we think we are, we can survive a let down game.  If we're not, then we'll find out soon.

Honestly, I'm not sure how good we are.  Without Brees, we lose the Falcons game pretty easily, and probably lose the Browns game.  Even though Brees had a rough first half against them, he made some key plays you expect elite QBs to make late in the game.

16 hours ago, Fray32 said:

Depending on how the defense holds up, this might be a game I think we should slow play. Emphasize Ingram and Kamara on the ground, don't get discouraged by those two and three yard gains early, and play field position if we have to. Not this teams style so far, but this has the makings of one of *those* games where the Saints turn the ball over early, set up short fields for the other team, and dig themselves a hole they cant get out of against a stout defense.

Of course, if Flacco and the Ravens can consistently drive 75+ yards on us for touchdowns then nvm

I agree with this.  I don't think we need to come out slinging it all over field unless we have to.  Need to limit our chances of turning the ball over against their D.  We don't need to get down early against the team that hasn't given up a second quarter TD all year.

But if the wet paper bag version of our defense shows up, it's back to airing it out.

Edit: Meant second half TDs.

12 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I agree with this.  I don't think we need to come out slinging it all over field unless we have to.  Need to limit our chances of turning the ball over against their D.  We don't need to get down early against the team that hasn't given up a second quarter TD all year.

But if the wet paper bag version of our defense shows up, it's back to airing it out.

This is exactly why Payton will call about 12 pass plays in a row to start the game. Then we'll be down 17-3 and we'll have to pass every game.

We're 0-4 to the Ravens with Brees. I think this team is going to continue to play inspired so that he can achieve this milestone. This WILL be his last chance to beat all 32 teams. They need this. With the bye week, rest, plenty of time to game plan etc... I think the Saints actually make a statement in this one.

Time to kill the odds. We will beat a great defense, on the road, outside in the elements.

I think this is the most telling game of the season for us so far. Their defense is playing incredibly stout. If we can come away with a victory on the road, against a top defense, after a bye week, there is no reason we can't see every future game as winnable (barring injuries of course). Big if though. I think this will be a close game. No blowouts here. I'm tempted to bet the Under.

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

The left side of the line comes in two varieties: injured or about to be injured

You forgot "recovered from injury" in that sliver of time before it becomes "about to be injured"

Is there any other offensive line in the league that can be as good as the Saints, yet as brutal as our guys are?

A few years ago, Peyton got so rattled with the loss of running backs that he started carrying 5 active. Now he's going to need to go 3 deep at every O-line position.

Anyone else thinking the Saints should trade Bridgewater to the Jaguars for a 2nd round pick tommorow? Sure its a risk but lets be real... Saints arent gonna be able to keep him. Hes a UFA after the season and the NFL draft is trash this coming year when it comes to QB's. Bridgewaters value is extremly high... Brees wants to play another 2-3 years. Hill looks serviceable... Trade Teddy, recoup a high draft pick.

Archived