2017 Off-season Discussion

zelbell

On 7/15/2017 at 9:32 PM, zelbell said:

Who soon does Kizer start this season?

i think it will be by mid October, early November 

Brock is currently starting right, or is it Kessler?

Either way I'll say Kizer doesn't start until week 13 barring any injuries.

We have a very large base of Browns forum members, but to look at the forum, you would think there isn't much activity.  You guys have a bad habit of posting in one large general topic and not creating new topics.  You move from the Draft Topic to Off-season Topic to Game day topics and then back to Draft Topic.   Unfortunately many other team forums do the same thing.  

This is terrible for forum activity.  Unless you are the handful of veteran members who hang out there, they are hard to follow and offer nothing for your forum.   To anyone visiting your forum, it looks dead.  To any members coming back after being away for a few weeks it's difficult to follow.  The game day topic is really the only one needed.  But that one changes every week and has a purpose.   Still members should be encouraged to start many topics to discuss different aspects of the game.  Only use the game day topic for in-game chat.  

With this forum update I'm hoping we see an increase in activity.   But it will never do that if many of the team forums only have one active topic.  Can we work on creating dozens of new topics about the Browns with descriptive titles?  

45 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

We have a very large base of Browns forum members, but to look at the forum, you would think there isn't much activity.  You guys have a bad habit of posting in one large general topic and not creating new topics.  You move from the Draft Topic to Off-season Topic to Game day topics and then back to Draft Topic.   Unfortunately many other team forums do the same thing.  

This is terrible for forum activity.  Unless you are the handful of veteran members who hang out there, they are hard to follow and offer nothing for your forum.   To anyone visiting your forum, it looks dead.  To any members coming back after being away for a few weeks it's difficult to follow.  The game day topic is really the only one needed.  But that one changes every week and has a purpose.   Still members should be encouraged to start many topics to discuss different aspects of the game.  Only use the game day topic for in-game chat.  

With this forum update I'm hoping we see an increase in activity.   But it will never do that if many of the team forums only have one active topic.  Can we work on creating dozens of new topics about the Browns with descriptive titles?  

Well, to be fair. Other factors include:

1. The Browns suck. I know other teams stink and are active, but we are fans of the worst team in all of pro sports. They almost went 0-16. It kind of drains on you after almost 2 decades. It feels like you're just discussing the same problems year after year. Other teams can discuss their franchise QBs developing or some young stud. We don't have any of that. Moneyball is too complicated for most of us to have lengthy discussions on.

2. Cavs, Buckeyes, and Indians are doing better. However, they have their own sections.

3. We've lost a lot of members. The ones who still stay are not as active because of personal lives.

All valid points of why activity has decreased.   I'm just saying that if you break out of the habit of one big general topic you can improve your forum.  Some of that activity will return as members see new topics about the Browns that interest them.  

Also, it's not just the Browns forum, but a lot of team forums have this same problem.   After years of too much activity the mods and veteran members started condensing topics into the big general topics to avoid duplicates and keep things 'clean'.  Now too many team forums are just a handful of big topics with very little other activity.  

3 hours ago, Webmaster said:

You move from the Draft Topic to Off-season Topic to Game day topics and then back to Draft Topic.   Unfortunately many other team forums do the same thing.  

This is terrible for forum activity.  Unless you are the handful of veteran members who hang out there, they are hard to follow and offer nothing for your forum.   To anyone visiting your forum, it looks dead.  To any members coming back after being away for a few weeks it's difficult to follow.

This is one of the big reasons that my activity has dipped (sorry not my team forum but I think it's relevant). I don't want to go through and mull through the lengthy threads to see what content does and does not interest me. 

Another thing I do think is worth weighing in on Webby, a lot of your userbase has aged over the years and has much more responsibility than they did upon registering at the forums. I was 14 when I signed up, now I'm 24 and have to work a full time job among a plethora of other things. So as you somewhat alluded to, there must also be an influx of new members as well. Perhaps the updated layout of the forum will be more inviting to the modern crowd of likely younger users. 

Back in the day I found this site because of the search for Mock Drafts and I wouldn't be surprised if many others did as well. I'd suggest maybe featuring those in more volume as well as more limelight somehow.

4 hours ago, Webmaster said:

I gotchu webby

Alright, let's not turn the Browns forum into a feedback forum.  I didn't mean to single out the Browns members, this is a problem in all forums.  Everyone who followed me in here, let's move back out.  Continue the discussion here.

34 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

All rights guys, you head the man. Back to starting a new thread for each individual mock draft. 

Wheres dawg soldier when you need him??

He'll have his 3rd alt account up and running by Friday

@Gmen4ev don't know how much of the Browns you've watched, but our projected strength is our front 4, o-line, and our 2 LBs in Collins and Kirksey. It hasn't happened yet, but I think Kirksey and Collins are pro bowl caliber. Our WRs and secondary are the biggest weaknesses. Then there is always the fun at QB.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

@Gmen4ev don't know how much of the Browns you've watched, but our projected strength is our front 4, o-line, and our 2 LBs in Collins and Kirksey. It hasn't happened yet, but I think Kirksey and Collins are pro bowl caliber. Our WRs and secondary are the biggest weaknesses. Then there is always the fun at QB.

I actually watch them fairly closely and have for a while. Drafting Coleman really sold me on the idea of swapping fan bases. Also the fact that Mara is human garbage. 

I wish Pryor had come back because I feel like he and Coleman would have bridged any qb better into the system. But I feel like Coleman is an allpro calliber celing Wr. Feel the same about Pryor, but wish him the best considering his path to starting has been amazing to follow.

Qb will be interesting. I'm hoping Kessler develops into a tyrod/tanny  type. Not 100% clone but that sort of output. And then progress furthermore after that with hue. 

Archived