Cards fire OC Mike McCoy

Texansfan713

6 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

As much as McCoy sucks...   being stuck with a mentally shaken Bradford and rookie Rosen would get a lot of OC’s fired. 

I think there’s a certain assistant for a division rival that has some good history with Rosen and would be a good fit if Leftwich doesn’t work out.. @jrry32

Dude, I think you have it the other way around.   Bradford was more than OK in MIN last year, his knee did him in. And Rosen isn't the problem other than being a rookie behind a terrible OL and a scheme which leaves him no time to make adjustments, and a short week to prep for a D that while vulnerable in many areas, is a terror in pass rush (which masked all of our other weaknesses quite neatly last night).

Believe me, you will be happy you have Rosen.  You will be even happier when McCoy is gone.  It's no coincidence that DEN players roundly slammed the scheme after he was fired.  The same critiques ARI is making now, DEN made then.  I'm kinda floored you can't see it, it's pretty obvious as an outsider where the problem lies between the OC & QB.   Now, you need 3 real OL's to add to Pugh and Cole (who will be better), too.  But let's be clear, McCoy is about 100x more the problem than your QB's.   

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

BTW, exactly the same stuff that DEN players were saying last year - scheme was way too verbose, took too long to get plays in, while the scheme itself was incredibly unimaginative.   Literally every play you watch, you will see Rosen having to check this mega-list, and the clock is inside 20 secs before the players are ready to break huddle.  Then Rosen has to try and make at-the-line reads with less than 12 secs left.   And maybe 3 outside runs, and only 1-2 targets for DJ as a pass-catcher.  But about 10+ for Chad freaking Williams.

SMH, McCoy is an abomination as an OC.  May he never be on the sidelines of an NFL, or even CFB team, again.

I feel like McCoy sort of just BS'd his way into his entire coaching career - the schemes/play designs themselves were incredibly bland but he was able to dress them up with insane verbiage to seem complex which was enough to sell defensive coaches or non-football decision makers like Wilks or Dean Spanos who don't know better over the years and make them think they were bringing an innovative/deep thinker/schematic genius in. Then you add in him stumbling into the perfect situation of getting to associate his work with Peyton Manning in Denver and you basically have an entire coaching career built on being able to pretend you know what you're talking about.

Honestly, it's a good hustle if you can manage it. 

Just now, BaltimoreTerp said:

I feel like McCoy sort of just BS'd his way into his entire coaching career - the schemes/play designs themselves were incredibly bland but he was able to dress them up with insane verbiage to seem complex which was enough to sell defensive coaches or non-football decision makers like Wilks and Spanos over the years. Then you add in him stumbling into the perfect situation of getting to associate his work with Peyton Manning in Denver and you basically have an entire coaching career built on being able to pretend you know what you're talking about.

Honestly, it's a good hustle if you can manage it. 

His one long run of success as an OC - Peyton Manning was the QB.   His SD success years as a HC - Ken Whisenhunt was the OC (he's an awful HC, and his scheme may no longer fit the current model of play, but he was very successful as an OC).   So yeah, I'm thinking he rode the coat-tails of much smarter guys for the successful years on his CV.

BTW, if the Cards beat SF next week - watch what the players will say:

1. Simplified the scheme, less thinking pre-snap, more time acting, not reacting.

2.  Easier for players to make first reads and go.

3. More diversity in types of plays

4. Way more DJ outside and as a pass catcher (DUH).

You see those lines, it's not like I'm Nostradamus - it's exactly what DEN players said last year after he was canned.  

Side note #2 - I suspect ARI wins vs. SF week #8, given the sudden post-firing bump, and 10 days to prepare for SF.  A big positive sign was that the ARI D didn't give up (crazy idea to say, but remember ARI O gave up 14 pts on pick-6's, and gave DEN 2 drives inside their own 20, which led to 10 more points, and again, were on the field for 35+ minutes - so 21 pts to the D actually could have been way worse, you tip your cap to DEN D for that Sanders TD pass play, very creative).  

15 minutes ago, Danger said:

Byron Leftwich? He was a huge flop before Blaine Gabbert wasn't he?

If you're asking if he was a QB bust from the Jaguars, the answer is yes.

It should be noted though that Bruce Arians was a big fan of his when Leftwich was a backup in Pittsburgh, so much so that he took him as a coaching understudy in Arizona. Arians was really high on him, even went on record one time saying he would be a head coach some day.. Maybe he has some good ideas to contribute, who knows.

Wouldn't be the first time an backup tier NFL QB eventually turned into a great head coach.

36 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

As much as McCoy sucks...   being stuck with a mentally shaken Bradford and rookie Rosen would get a lot of OC’s fired. 

I think there’s a certain assistant for a division rival that has some good history with Rosen and would be a good fit if Leftwich doesn’t work out.. @jrry32

Are you talking about Jedd Fisch? Eh, I think the Cards have more to work with than most know. A good OC might be able to get that offense to competent.

Archived