Cards fire OC Mike McCoy

Texansfan713

6 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Before Garrard, technically. Doesn't have too much meaning for his chances as an OC though. A number of failed QBs have managed to be good OCs.

Kinda ironic an Eagles fan would pose that Q.  Since Doug Peterson is their HC and a successful OC b4 that.   

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

Not what I meant to imply. Was saying that Leftwich was the QB for Jacksonville, before Garrard became QB there. Was a gap between Leftwich and Gabbert.

I know what you were trying to say, but I think Danger was asking if he was the QB bust of the Jaguars before Gabbert.

22 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Are you talking about Jedd Fisch? Eh, I think the Cards have more to work with than most know. A good OC might be able to get that offense to competent.

I’m not sure what his role even is with the Rams but I would make some sense.  History with Rosen then working with McVay is appealing.  Leftwich will be using BA’s playbook so Rosen could very well end up on IR.

5 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

If you're asking if he was a QB bust from the Jaguars, the answer is yes.

It should be noted though that Bruce Arians was a big fan of his when Leftwich was a backup in Pittsburgh, so much so that he took him as a coaching understudy in Arizona. Arians was really high on him, even went on record one time saying he would be a head coach some day.. Maybe he has some good ideas to contribute, who knows.

Wouldn't be the first time an backup tier NFL QB eventually turned into a great head coach.

From everything said about him while he was a backup in Pittsburgh he's a smart guy and everything, busting as a starter had more to do with being unable to fix poor mechanics like his windmill throwing motion.

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

That's the problem when a team hires a HC late that's not an O guru - they had nothing but horrible choices - retreads, or unproven guys.  I'd rather go unproven, but obv. I have little to lose.  

This will really help Rosen's development simply by not having McCoy's complete lack of imagination responsible for play calling.  So many times last night, plays were coming in with less than 20 secs left to the huddle, leaving no time for adjustments.  And WAY too many runs up the middle for David Johnson - no touches in space, and no pass catching.

David Johnson is probably the most thankful guy in ARI today...followed by his fantasy owners.

Cardinals fans seemed really ticked that Arians staff was gutted after he retired, and didn't get get fired. Also, Wilks has completely changed the defense, and now guys are struggling. 

7 hours ago, Danger said:

Byron Leftwich? He was a huge flop before Blaine Gabbert wasn't he?

Not really. Lester Oaks had injuries that ultimately did him in. He showed potential though in his Jacksonville days. He looked like Joe Montana compared to Gabbert. Even with his slow wind up, and bad mobility. Not worth the 7th overall pick though.

10 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Cardinals fans seemed really ticked that Arians staff was gutted after he retired, and didn't get get fired. Also, Wilks has completely changed the defense, and now guys are struggling. 

You don't have Patrick Peterson on the team and then put them into a zone D.    At the very least, you run a Peterson island - rest in zone type scheme.

I think there's a real chance Wilks is one and done.    He's trying to fit players to his scheme and not the other way around.  That rarely works (see: Rex Ryan in BUF and a top 5 D destroyed the next 2 years).

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You don't have Patrick Peterson on the team and then put them into a zone D.    At the very least, you run a Peterson island - rest in zone type scheme.

I think there's a real chance Wilks is one and done.    He's trying to fit players to his scheme and not the other way around.  That rarely works (see: Rex Ryan in BUF and a top 5 D destroyed the next 2 years).

Yeah, he's probably gone. Listening to his post game presser reminded me so much of Jim Tomsula and Mike Singletary. Guys that were just way in over their heads as head coach.

Archived