Linebacker Heritage

Hunter2_1

Which franchise do you believe has the deepest, most respected crop of linebackers, throughout its history? I''ll give some examples. 

Pittsburgh: Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, Greg Lloyd, James Farrior,  Kevin Greene, Joey Porter, Ryan Shazier

Baltimore: Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Adalius Thomas, Terrell Suggs

New England: Teddy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Willie McGinest, Jerod Mayo, Dont'a Hightower

Chicago: **** Butkus, Brian Urlacher, Mike Singletary, Lance Briggs

Kansas City: Derrick Thomas, Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier

Green Bay: Ray Nitschke, Dave Robinson, Jim Carter

Miami: Zach Thomas, Nick Buoniconti, Hugh Green,  AJ Duhe, Jason Taylor, John Offerdahl

Giants: Carl Banks, Lawrence Taylor, Sam Huff, Harry Carson

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Which franchise do you believe has the deepest, most respected crop of linebackers, throughout its history? I''ll give some examples. 

Miami: Zach Thomas, Nick Buoniconti, Hugh Green,  AJ Duhe, Jason Taylor

John Offerdahl -

8 seasons (86'-93')

5x ProBowl

2x AllPro

NFL DRotY (1986)

Bryan Cox - 

5 seasons (91'-95')

3x ProBowl

3x AllPro

2 Big Middle Fingers to the crowd at Ralph Wilson Stadium

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Pittsburgh: Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, James Farrior,  Kevin Greene, Joey Porter, Ryan Shazier

James Harrison, Andy Russell, Chad Brown, Lamarr Woodley, Levon Kirkland, Jason Gildon, Mike Merriweather, Greg Lloyd, to a lesser extent, Timmons. It has to be Pittsburgh, right?

10 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Pittsburgh: Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, Greg Lloyd, James Farrior,  Kevin Greene, Joey Porter, Ryan Shazier

Baltimore: Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Adalius Thomas, Terrell Suggs

New England: Teddy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Willie McGinest, Jerod Mayo, Dont'a Hightower

Chicago: **** Butkus, Brian Urlacher, Mike Singletary, Lance Briggs

Kansas City: Derrick Thomas, Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier

Green Bay: Ray Nitschke, Dave Robinson, Jim Carter

Miami: Zach Thomas, Nick Buoniconti, Hugh Green,  AJ Duhe, Jason Taylor, John Offerdahl

Giants: Carl Banks, Lawrence Taylor, Sam Huff, Harry Carson

Don't forget Jaime Sharper for Baltimore. Jesse Armstead for the Giants. Andre Tippett trumps any linebacker New England has ever had. Tim Harris for the Packers should maybe be listed for that franchise.

Saints group of the mid 80s.

3 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

LOL @ New England being on that list. Not one of those guys listed was special.

Take New England out and put in New Orleans just for their famous 4.

The holder of the post-season sack record and captain of superbowl winning defenses isn't special? OK then, NFL expert. 

I think it's a tossup between CHI and PIT. CHI might have the best Top 3, but PIT is deeper.

I'd put MIA #3, slightly over BAL because BAL hasn't been around long. No homer but I think Zach Thomas was better than Urlacher and needs to get into the HoF.

Just cherry-pickin':

Zach:

5x All-Pro 1st Team

2x All-Pro 2nd Team

7x ProBowl

NFL All Decade Team

184 Games Plyed

17 FF

4 TD

1720 Tackles (1090 Solo 630 Asst)

Brian:

4x All-Pro 1st Team

1x All-Pro 2nd Team

8x ProBowl

NFL All Decade Team

182 Games Played

12 FF

3 TD

1353 Tackles (1037 Solo 316 Asst)

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I loved Zach. Born to play. One of those players that clearly have all the determination and will in the world

Imagine if he had Uracher's physical attributes without losing any of his own intangible qualities. That'd probably be the GOAT ILB.

Steelers and Bears have similarly all-time great players, but the Steelers just have so much more beyond their best of the best that they are easily #1 and the Bears #2. Dolphins are 3 and Ravens are 4.

I don't understand how the Patriots are on the list with 2 seasons worth of All-Pro play on there. The Cowboys would have been a better option with DeMarcus Ware, DD Lewis, Lee Roy Jordan, and Chuck Howley. And they have championships too since you want to play that card.

Archived