Patriots @ Bears GDT

WindyCity

11 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I know we're all upset but let's be real. Pats DBs had all the momentum there to keep White out the end zone. Gabriel tried to do what he could to help push White in but can't expect a 5'8 165 lb WR to get that push. And Burton was already in the endzone when white caught it. For as good as the catch was tough play to make there.

If we are being real Burton should not have been camping out behind the DBs then. He has the size advantage, should have been boxing out. Gabriel in a jump ball situation is stupid too, especially since there was a big chance for Tru to struggle to get the ball that far into the endzone. Braunecker would have been a better option. That is the pass version of a goal line stand, you need physical guys there. Little Turbo doesn't fit the bill.

I'm just annoyed that when the game is being pretty much handed to us we take it and throw it back. Ineptitude in coaching is killing the team, again.

With Trestman the offense produced but the teams defense was trash. Trestman lost the team.

With Fox the defense stepped up but the offensive talent was shipped out to start fresh. Fox was constantly outcoached.

Now with Nagy we have the talent across the board but he is trying to call an offense like he is playing Madden. You don't run that many go routes, you take advantage of soft coverage, if they are blitzing that many times you use the TE, Y, and RBs to get the 5+ yards on an easy completion. Considering Nagy was over-conservative the first few weeks we know that is in the playbook. None of which Nagy did. With a pretty immobile QB who is surgical you don't give soft coverage to him, you find a way to generate pressure through blitzes/stunts, and you force him to try to throw downfield with pressure in his face. None of which Fangio did. Special teams giving up 14 was ridiculous and a fluke, but the first two coaching issues are becoming the norm. We are being outcoached on offense and defense, which is unacceptable.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

It is really hard to call this team a well coached team.

Sloppiness, penalties, soft defense, and inconsistency.

This is the 2nd game where we have made more than enough mistakes to lose.

This is the only game so far that the coaching actually made me scream at the television, though. And the soft defense is entirely scheme, not effort, so that fall points to strategy. So, yeah, Fangio screwed the pooch yet again, but I think we've seen enough other stuff prior to today to call the team poorly coached, overall. My hope is that this is a wake up call for the defensive side of things strategically, and Nagy (or Pace) puts his foot down. 

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Obviously there is plenty of blame to go around and the majority of it is on the coaching staff in this game. But let's also keep in mind that trying to out-coach Belichick is not the easiest thing to do either. 

No, it isn't. The blocked punt clearly came about because of some flaw Belichick saw in the Bears' formation...

12 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

If we are being real Burton should not have been camping out behind the DBs then. He has the size advantage, should have been boxing out. Gabriel in a jump ball situation is stupid too, especially since there was a big chance for Tru to struggle to get the ball that far into the endzone. Braunecker would have been a better option. That is the pass version of a goal line stand, you need physical guys there. Little Turbo doesn't fit the bill.

I'm just annoyed that when the game is being pretty much handed to us we take it and throw it back. Ineptitude in coaching is killing the team, again.

With Trestman the offense produced but the teams defense was trash. Trestman lost the team.

With Fox the defense stepped up but the offensive talent was shipped out to start fresh. Fox was constantly outcoached.

Now with Nagy we have the talent across the board but he is trying to call an offense like he is playing Madden. You don't run that many go routes, you take advantage of soft coverage, if they are blitzing that many times you use the TE, Y, and RBs to get the 5+ yards on an easy completion. Considering Nagy was over-conservative the first few weeks we know that is in the playbook. None of which Nagy did. With a pretty immobile QB who is surgical you don't give soft coverage to him, you find a way to generate pressure through blitzes/stunts, and you force him to try to throw downfield with pressure in his face. None of which Fangio did. Special teams giving up 14 was ridiculous and a fluke, but the first two coaching issues are becoming the norm. We are being outcoached on offense and defense, which is unacceptable.

I agree with you on a lot of your points when it comes to the coaching, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Fangio needs to be more creative and find other ways to generate pressure when its obvious that Mack isn't 100 percent and then front 4 can't get home by themselves. And Nagy need to be less cute with his play calling and realize what the defense is doing and adjust.

That said on the last hail mary play I don't really know what else you expected?  Robinson was hurt and they didn't really have many other options as for who they could put out there on that last play. 

Also Tru threw that ball with direct pressure and a hand in his face from the LB Van Noy and he amazingly still managed to get it 55 yards down the field. 

The fact that White even caught it is a miracle in itself. Just came up a little short. 

These things are going to happen with a young team and QB. I'll chalk it up as a good learning experience.  Just think how much worse of a loss this would be with last year's Bears against these same Patriots.  At least this team is competing and making things interesting. We're not that far off guys. Keep the faith. 

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I was at the game so maybe I missed it, but did anyone see AR on the field for the final 2 drives? Because I did not.

No he was on the sidelines. Probably re-aggravated his groin injury from last week. I hope it's just precautionary but if he's out for any amount of time then I hope we see more Kevin White and less Josh Bellamy.

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I think Nagy came out with fairly respectable plans the first few weeks. Today, when the Bears ran a more reasonable style of offense (not trying 20 yd. pass plays 2/3 downs) the Patriots were basically unable to stop them. So..was Nagy high, or what? Actually, no, strike that, that statement was kind of insult to people who get high, as even they would realize what was going on. You're right, this isn't Madden. So you got me there. With Fangio, some sort of intervention is clearly needed, as, if this keeps up, he'll throw the season for us. On the Patriots late drive (which I believe led to their last score), they had a 3rd and 2 deep, Brady completed the pass near the line, and there wasn't Bear within eight yards of the receiver (I think it was James White). That's just flat-out unacceptable. 

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

GG guys. Played us hard and made it a very difficult/frustrating day for us. You're clearly on the up, so congrats. I couldn't believe that final play....

You should do NY no problems, IMO. Good luck rest of the way.

hE89F64F7

17 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I think Nagy came out with fairly respectable plans the first few weeks. Today, when the Bears ran a more reasonable style of offense (not trying 20 yd. pass plays 2/3 downs) the Patriots were basically unable to stop them. So..was Nagy high, or what? Actually, no, strike that, that statement was kind of insult to people who get high, as even they would realize what was going on. You're right, this isn't Madden. So you got me there. With Fangio, some sort of intervention is clearly needed, as, if this keeps up, he'll throw the season for us. On the Patriots late drive (which I believe led to their last score), they had a 3rd and 2 deep, Brady completed the pass near the line, and there wasn't Bear within eight yards of the receiver (I think it was James White). That's just flat-out unacceptable. 

How do you want Fangio to intervene?  If the Bears blitzed more then Brady(as Brady is great against the blitz) would have just torched them anyway. James White is a top flight receiving RB. The NFL by rules is taking defense out of the game. The Bears lost because they gave the Pats 14 points on special teams.

Some positives to take from this game. Bilal Nichols looks like a player and a very nice find by Pace. He deserves more playing time as does Kevin White. I don't know why we aren't seeing KW more over Bellamy who made two critical errors this game that probably cost us points.

This is White's make or break year in this organization. Let the guy go out and prove his worth. He has more to offer than Bellamy does.

23 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I really don't think the first few games were well coached by him, outside of the scripted plays. They relied so much on outs, shallow crosses, and repeated us of screens they were completing passes for minimal gains. So yeah they looked good initially, but then there was no rhyme or reason after.

Agree on your points, IDK what Fangio is doing but he has been either fantastic or horrible, no in between. 

I would like Fangio to be more aggressive but when teams do a short passing game they have to be able to tackle receivers. As bad tackling has helped lead to all 3 losses. This week Gordon went for 54 yards after two missed tackles. The defensive players need to pick up their play after two poor weeks.

17 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

How do you want Fangio to intervene?  If the Bears blitzed more then Brady(as Brady is great against the blitz) would have just torched them anyway. James White is a top flight receiving RB. The NFL by rules is taking defense out of the game. The Bears lost because they gave the Pats 14 points on special teams.

He also is pretty damn good when untouched and unrushed...

Also as for tackling with the ball being thrown faster that allows more swarming. Conservative calling allows the WRs to open the field up more which means defenders are separated. There is lkess chance of gang tackling with a passive passrush.

24 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

Brady looked more uneasy, by and large, on those rare occasions when the Bears did blitz. They also only rushed three way too often, which is like the pressure you get in a standard nickel package. And while I agree (basically, as you never can isolate one moment, eliminate it, then predict the rest of a game would go the same way) about the special teams failures, AND about how the rules changes hamper defenses, there is no rule you can't play man-to-man coverage o a 3rd and 2 when the opposition is within their own twenty. 

Archived