1. 1. Who is the most important Raider?

• Derek Carr
    • Amari Cooper
    • Rodney Hudson
    • Bruce Irvin
    • Karl Joseph
    • Khalil Mack
    • Keleche Osemele

I saw other sections doing something similar so I figured why not try and fire up the forum further and do the same. Every few days I will make a new thread listing more players to choose from, ultimately deciding who the most important Raiders are to this team. Consider "important" as how detrimental it would be to our overall success if we lost them due to injury. Feel free to also mention names I should add to the pole next round.

By all accounts Derek Carr should be #1 here, but for the sake of the argument we will keep this one to a vote too.

Mack is in the top 5 defensive players in the game (possibly even top 3), Osemele and Hudson are outstanding on the OL. Per their position, they're better than Derek Carr. But in terms of detriment to overall success, it's Derek Carr, and it's not even close. We saw that at the end of last season.

If we had to go with EJ Manuel for all of next season, we'd win about 4 games, and I don't think you'd see that much of a drop-off without any other player on the roster.

We can win (playoffs) with no defense, but we can't win without Carr...

QB IS the most important single position. Now a team full of Mack's and other studs on D and QB doesn't have to be good. Dilfer for Ravens and even the Tampa Bay guy was ok and having a good season when we got taken down. Even Manning was all head with noodle arm with Denver.  Defense wins championships, not 1 MVP on D, but an MVP QB can ALWAYS keep you in a game. Balance is best and were working towards that. Top 5 offense if it all comes together will only need a D that's around 20 or so.

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I saw other sections doing something similar so I figured why not try and fire up the forum further and do the same. Every few days I will make a new thread listing more players to choose from, ultimately deciding who the most important Raiders are to this team. Consider "important" as how detrimental it would be to our overall success if we lost them due to injury. Feel free to also mention names I should add to the pole next round.

By all accounts Derek Carr should be #1 here, but for the sake of the argument we will keep this one to a vote too.

Yeah, you can end this tread now. it's Carr.

I'd put Carr, Osemele, Jackson, Hudson, Penn, Cooper, and Crabtree in the top 10 with Mack and Irvin. The other member of the top ten I'm not sure who it is, but I am leaning towards Mario Edwards. If the other 9 are playing lights out, if Mario is on we win. Replacement level for everyone else isn't that bad. Like our secondary is very important, but if we lost Joseph we still have Nelson and Melifonwu. Same with Amerson or Smith having Conley and then to a lesser degree TJ Carrie. 

To be frank, there should only be one option here - DC

Maybe a better way to phrase it would be to list Raider players in terms of importance, if this was the question:

Carr

Mack

Penn

Hudson

Osemele

Cooper

Joseph

Irvin

Lynch

Crabtree

I'm hesitant to put MEJ in here as we actually did without him last year and finished 12-4 and it's yet to be seen how good he can be - he may well be high up this list in future if he has a good season and can generate some internal pressure to help out Mack and Irvin. Lynch could be very important this year as I believe we are putting a little too much expectation on Richard and Washington as 3 down backs otherwise. Penn is also crucial - we really don't want another Kwame Harris protecting our Crown Jewels :o 

Archived