Broncos-Cardinals sets a RECORD new low for broadcast ratings

Chargers

Per PFT

According to Austin Karp of SportsBusiness Journal, the combined rating of 6.6 was “well below” the prior all-time low generated by a Seahawks-Buccaneers game on Sunday Night Football in 2008, which competed directly with Game Seven of the Tampa Bay Rays-Boston Red Sox ALCS.

Apart from the fact that Broncos-Cardinals was a lackluster matchup that quickly became a blowout, the game had plenty of competition, including Game Five of the Astros-Red Sox ALCS and an NBA doubleheader on TNT that included the debut of LeBron James with the Lakers in a game that tipped during the fourth quarter of Broncos-Cardinals.

Thursday NIght Football badly needs a flex option like NBC has. Nobody wanted this game on Primetime, NFL should fix this soon.

5 minutes ago, Classic said:

Per PFT

Thursday NIght Football badly needs a flex option like NBC has. Nobody wanted this game on Primetime, NFL should fix this soon.

There is no way to flex Thursday games. Too much involved. How are fans who plan on flying in supposed to change their plans? 

They need to just have less TNF, rather than require every team to play a game 

TNF flex would never work lol.  Imagine moving up a game from Sunday to a Thursday.  Teams would have to change their entire practices and travel plans, and fans who already bought tickets to the game that was scheduled for Sunday would undoubtedly have prior commitments on Thursday because let's face it we're all busy.  Not to mention, what if a team shares a stadium with a baseball team and the baseball team is already using the field for that night?  Theres just no option for it whatsoever.  It's stressful enough on some fans to have to deal with a noon game being flexed into a SNF spot and vice versa

18 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

stressful enough on some fans to have to deal with a noon game being flexed into a SNF spot and vice versa

Yep, I am feeling that now with the niners rams getting flexed. I agreed to work 2-4 on Sunday thinking that I'd have an hour+ to get to the game.. that got completely thrown out the window. 

I have several friends who bought tickets for a premium thinking it would be a Sunday night game.. the game got flexed and ticket prices were cut in half. 

I had another friend who took Monday off and was going to drive up Sunday from LA... Now he has to drive up at like 4 or 5am if he wants to make it up in time. 

All that headache by moving a game 4 hours. Imagine 4 days 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

They need to just have less TNF, rather than require every team to play a game 

My best two ideas:

1. TNF games from week 12-17. The football is already bad enough for the first 3-5 weeks of the season as they get back into hitting without adding a TNF game

2. They only have TNF during the bye week period (weeks 4-12 or so.) That way teams on a bye can come back and play on TNF. So they'd play on a Sunday, get a full week off, then play that following Thursday (instead of Sunday) so it's 11 days in between games and they get another 10 days off before their next game. Right now, a bye week means 1 game in 21 days. A bye week into a TNF would also make for 21 days since the team wouldn't play until that following Sunday.  

1 minute ago, N4L said:

Yep, I am feeling that now with the niners rams getting flexed. I agreed to work 2-4 on Sunday thinking that I'd have an hour+ to get to the game.. that got completely thrown out the window. 

I have several friends who bought tickets for a premium thinking it would be a Sunday night game.. the game got flexed and ticket prices were cut in half. 

I had another friend who took Monday off and was going to drive up Sunday from LA... Now he has to drive up at like 4 or 5am if he wants to make it up in time. 

All that headache by moving a game 4 hours. Imagine 4 days 

I feel bad for your friends lol.  As soon as Garoppolo went down I had a feeling that game was going to get flexed out.  At least your friend from LA has Monday off because he's gonna need it.  I'm about to resell my tickets to Titans @ Cowboys MNF Week 9, I can only imagine how much they would tank in value if that game was somehow moved to 1 ET on Sunday.  And if it was moved to Sunday I wouldnt be able to go anymore because I work all day every Sunday

Just now, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

My best two ideas:

1. TNF games from week 12-17. The football is already bad enough for the first 3-5 weeks of the season as they get back into hitting without adding a TNF game

2. They only have TNF during the bye week period (weeks 4-12 or so.) That way teams on a bye can come back and play on TNF. So they'd play on a Sunday, get a full week off, then play that following Thursday so it's 11 days in between games and they get another 10 days off be fore their next game. Right now, a bye week means 1 game in 21 days. A bye week into a TNF would also make for 21 days since the team wouldn't play until that following Sunday.  

They already did TNF games from Weeks 10-17 when they first introduced TNF and it worked completely fine.  But the league overplayed their hand and didnt realize that too much of a good thing would have adverse effects.  Theyre profiting from it but the rest of the world absolutely is not given the quality of the product on a weekly basis

7 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

They already did TNF games from Weeks 10-17 when they first introduced TNF and it worked completely fine.  But the league overplayed their hand and didnt realize that too much of a good thing would have adverse effects.  Theyre profiting from it but the rest of the world absolutely is not given the quality of the product on a weekly basis

I forgot all about that.

If they do 10-17 again, that's 14 teams in 7 games. Won't be hard to make 7 somewhat compelling match-ups on paper prior to the season. 

Of course, you're always going to get a game that looks good prior to the season but one or both teams has an unexpected crappy season but even that happens on SNF/MNF.

It's just stupid that EVERY team gets a primetime game when there's 10 teams a season nobody wants to see play outside of their fans.

1 minute ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I forgot all about that.

If they do 10-17 again, that's 14 teams in 7 games. Won't be hard to make 7 somewhat compelling match-ups on paper prior to the season. 

Yeah, I understand the logic behind wanting to give every team an appearance on a national TV game, but there are clearly some teams that are undeserving of it.  I remember being forced to watch Titans / Jaguars in Week 16 on TNF when both teams came into the game at 2-12

Archived