Broncos-Cardinals sets a RECORD new low for broadcast ratings

Chargers

On 10/19/2018 at 11:24 PM, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

My best two ideas:

1. TNF games from week 12-17. The football is already bad enough for the first 3-5 weeks of the season as they get back into hitting without adding a TNF game

2. They only have TNF during the bye week period (weeks 4-12 or so.) That way teams on a bye can come back and play on TNF. So they'd play on a Sunday, get a full week off, then play that following Thursday (instead of Sunday) so it's 11 days in between games and they get another 10 days off before their next game. Right now, a bye week means 1 game in 21 days. A bye week into a TNF would also make for 21 days since the team wouldn't play until that following Sunday.  

I like the bye week idea. 

On 10/20/2018 at 12:24 AM, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

My best two ideas:

1. TNF games from week 12-17. The football is already bad enough for the first 3-5 weeks of the season as they get back into hitting without adding a TNF game

2. They only have TNF during the bye week period (weeks 4-12 or so.) That way teams on a bye can come back and play on TNF. So they'd play on a Sunday, get a full week off, then play that following Thursday (instead of Sunday) so it's 11 days in between games and they get another 10 days off before their next game. Right now, a bye week means 1 game in 21 days. A bye week into a TNF would also make for 21 days since the team wouldn't play until that following Sunday.  

I mentioned this in other threads.  Just a little more thought out... The bye weeks could start as early as week 3 to as late as week 14.  That way the Thursday games will still run in the same time frame of week 1 to week 15 with the exception of no games on week 2 or 3.  Some for the bye weeks will have 4 teams with most only having 2 teams and before Thanksgiving Day 6 teams get the bye.  Which should result in a triple header on Thanksgiving Day, there will be 2 other weeks with a double header. You can also double up opening day with 2 games.  That'll give you 18 Thursday games (16 Thursday Night games) which works out to just 1 less game than the current Thursday Night games.

This should be the fairest way for all the teams.  Every team gets the same extended time to prepare for the Thursday games.  Great for players and coaches as they can plan properly and players get their rest.  Also every team gets "showcased" in a Thursday game.  Good for fans as you get competitive football.  The broadcasters lose out on 1 game and can't get the more popular teams to play multiple times, but better football will ultimately mean better ratings, so it's a win for everyone.

I don't have a problem with bad teams in primetime if two conditions are met:

1. They have some exciting pieces to build around like a hotshot young QB

2. They aren't playing a team which is going to slaughter them.

I wouldn't be opposed to a matchup coming out of any combination of the Bills, Brown, Jets, Cardinals for example so that at least we have evenly matched teams going at it.

But please not teams like the Redskins just because they play in a big market.

6 hours ago, smetana34 said:

Get rid of TNF; start having Saturday Night Football instead. 

No. Then you'd be competing with PAC-12 games and the primetime college matchup of the week. Plus the NCAA feeds the NFL so i dont think theyd wanna do that anyway.

4 hours ago, riceman80 said:

No. Then you'd be competing with PAC-12 games and the primetime college matchup of the week. Plus the NCAA feeds the NFL so i dont think theyd wanna do that anyway.

Possibly. But there's also no denying the players would be healthier, which makes for better games, which makes for better ratings and more money. College can still run it's games during the day on Saturdays

They need to stop releasing the schedule before the draft as by the time the draft is done and all the wheeling and dealing around it, we end up with far too many games that will include weak teams on Mondays and Thursdays. TNF has always been the red headed step child anyway with its aim of giving every team a nationally televised game, which inevitably means a lot of crap.

Archived