Should stats in Over Time count?

patriotsheatyan

Hm, an interesting question. I say why not? For one, there's generally a balance when it comes to OT. You won't find one team playing 60 more minutes (aka 1 game) of a season than another, know what I mean? It's usually at most you'll see a team playing maybe 30 more minutes than the teams that played no OT? I mean TDs are limited to 1 for every player on the field in a given OT period, so you can't stat pad that very much (and do you really want to argue a GW TD shouldn't count, when in reality it probably means more than every other TD?). More times than not, the yardage per play, which is what people care most about nowadays, is going to be negatively effected by prolonged OT periods. Ultimately, I just don't think it matters much.

Now college, don't even get me started. Its practically a different game, where you start on the 25 and go back and forth until one side can't keep up. The scoring inflation from OT can be very misleading from long OTs in college... No idea why team or player stats count in OT. Like hockey/soccer with shootouts, I feel those game should read like this:

Baylor 35  Iowa State 35 (Baylor wins OT #3)

Rather than

Baylor 57 Iowa State 55

Yes.  It's still part of the game.

10 hours ago, Dome said:

I’d be interested in knowing if this would move anyone up/down on any major leaderboards 

It's possible someone moves up or down a spot or breaks a tie, but there's really not that much career stat accumulation in OT for anyone.

LDT and TO who have had long careers in the modern era each have under 250 career yards in OT.  Only 10 QBs in history have more than 1 OT TD pass, and the only ones with more than 2 are Bledsoe and Bradshaw, with 4 and 3 respectively.  Only LDT has 3 rush/rec TDs in OT and only 7 other players have 2.

28 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Should we get rid of garbage time stats as well? Maybe we should only count stats if the score is within 10...

Ignoring stats when trailing by more than two possessions would probably make like, every QB but Bortles look a lot better.

It’s a reflection of the culture that everything has to be fair that this frankly ridiculous Q gets posted.  

We could just count everyone’s best 10 plays for stats and not count the rest.  Because it’s not fair that some teams get more plays than others to generate stats.  And give every team a SBP trophy at the end of the year.  The P of course...is for participation.    

Or we can realize it’s a sport.  

No.

Neither should garbage time stats.

Or stats accumulated in nice weather or domes.

Or stats vs bottom 10 defenses.

Or stats accumulated under Bill Belichick.

In reality, stats should be done away with altogether.   Same with wins and losses.    

Maybe Nike can make a commercial about it.  

18 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It’s a reflection of the culture that everything has to be fair that this frankly ridiculous Q gets posted.  

We could just count everyone’s best 10 plays for stats and not count the rest.  Because it’s not fair that some teams get more plays than others to generate stats.  And give every team a SBP trophy at the end of the year.  The P of course...is for participation.    

Or we can realize it’s a sport.  

This sums up my thoughts in a rather tidy fashion.

Archived