Tracking Baker Mayfield VS. Sam Darnold's 1st Yr Play

Mind Character

What this thread is for:

So, I figured I'd create a hub post to follow and compare the play of Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold's rookie year.

Info in this thread includes video from each one of their snaps, stats, as well as an analysis of the context around their play (i.e., WR skill, injuries, play-calling, etc..)

If people have interesting stats, analytics, videos, or whatever regarding the players, please post it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things That Matter When Thinking About Comparing Players

1.) Remember that Box-score Scouting is terrible and can misinform your opinion. A - 3 Int game and 1 TD game can be better than a game with No INTs based on the context of the play. For example, did the INTs come from bouncing of the WRs chest or due to a wrong route versus did the QB throw tons of INT type passes that were just dropped by the defense.

2.) Remember TV-Copy Scouting misinforms opinions on QB Play: Were the receivers open when the QB held onto the ball? Did a receiver run the wrong route? Did a WR slip? Was the play design Poor and destined to fail

3.) What's around QB matters: Who has the better Offensive line?, Offensive Coordinator? Whose defense gets the ball back to them the most? Who has the better Rushing attack? Who's pass catchers are better? Are their skill players injured??

4.) Opponent's Matter: What is the nature of the competition they are up against?

5.) When the game happens: Was the game on a short week?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------

My thoughts:

As the "I Told You So" Darnold and Mayfield fans have discovered, what one feels about their rookie QB can change based on the next week/weeks. Instead of riding the roller-coaster of emotion it's best to enjoy the moment and let the season play out. It takes at least 3 years before we'll know what the QBs really are as some are fast out the gate with success and fall to the back of the pack or regress completely while others are slow out the gate and end up having HOF careers.

I didn't feel like adding Josh Rosen or Josh Allen to this post, but if someone wants to .. have at it.. it's possible that one of them could end up being the best of the bunch when it's all said and done. Rosen has played well this season despite the stats.

On Declarations of QB messiah foolery....

On 10/7/2018 at 10:38 PM, Mind Character said:

@Fatgerman @Bonanza23 @MistaBohmbastic

It looks very very promising, and it is very very exciting, but having followed the game for a very long time... it is wise to not get too high and to not get too low, pump the breaks a little bit and give it some time... we're 5 games in.

History as a guide reminds us that we should stay even keel as:

1.) Many QBs have been horrendous to really bad out of the gate and ended up being elite and/or MVP candidate types (i.e., Jared Goff, Alex Smith, Matthew Stafford, Drew Brees, Eli Manning...etc)

2.) Many QBs have started out on fire out the gate, were anointed saviors/best in the game types and compared to HOFers only to have their play regress to average or become irrelevant for various periods of time for various reasons (Chad Pennington, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Daunte Culpepper, Blake Bortles, Dak Prescott, RG3, Andy Dalton-Dalton's trending back up, etc..)

3.) Some QBs start out well and maintain that level of play and even elevate it to elite stratosphere of Quarterbacking consider to be MVP or top 5 elite Quarterbacking (Carson Wentz, Philliip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, etc..)

The most important thing Baker is doing is winning.

He looks poised, accurate, and in complete control.

BUT... no matter how good it feels or how promising it looks history tells us that we should not get too high or get too low.

Enjoy the ride... and hope Baker keeps progressing and stays healthy...

His hand size and leader of men shall lead us to victory ....

-------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Baker Mayfield - The Context

1.) Offensive Line:

2.) Skill Position around:

3.) Offensive Coordinator & Play-Calling:

4.) Defense Quality & Take-Away Ability:

5.) Special Teams & Field Position:

6.) Opponent (Defense/Offense) Quality:

---------------------------------------------

Baker Mayfield - Every Pass & Run - The TV Copy Film

1.) Game 1, Week 3: The Jets

2.) Game 2, Week 4: Oakland

3.) Game 3, Week 5: Ratbirds

4.) Game 4, Week 6: Chargers

-----------------------------------------------------------

Baker Mayfield - The Basic Box-Score Stats:

7yahqPT.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam Darnold - The Context

1.) Offensive Line:

----------

Sam Darnold - Every Pass & Run - The TV Copy Film

1.) Game 1, Week 1: Detroit Lions

2.) Game 2, Week 2: Dolphins

3.) Game 3, Week 3: Cleveland

4.) Game 4, Week 4: Jaguars

5.) Game 5, Week 5: Denver

6.) Game 6, Week 6: Colts

---------------------------

Sam Darnold - The Basic Box-Score Stats

Om1lsf6.png

---------------------------------------

Week 7 - Some Conclusions for now:

It's debatable given the context surrounding the QBs and analysis of their play on who's played the best to this point between Darnold and Baker.

There are arguments to be made in Darnold's favor as their are in Baker's favor.

Currently, I'd give Baker the slight edge, but it's close. To me, that's interesting because I thought Darnold would be near Deshone Kizer awful awful in his first year as I thought he was no where close to ready to start.

Both QBs have played really well at times.

There will likely be separation amongst them as teams get to know their film and more play is observed.

nice post, it wi be good to track, it wil be a conversation that will last as long as they play. 
As a Browns fan I hope Baker is proven right, obviously. 

I like how the Jets have built around Sam D, exclusiv usingely starting vet WR's and RB's, that seems to be hepling him out a lot. 

29 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

What this thread is for:

So, I figured I'd create a hub post to follow and compare the play of Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold's rookie year.

Info in this thread includes video from each one of their snaps, stats, as well as an analysis of the context around their play (i.e., WR skill, injuries, play-calling, etc..)

If people have interesting stats, analytics, videos, or whatever regarding the players, please post it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things That Matter When Thinking About Comparing Players

1.) Remember that Box-score Scouting is terrible and can misinform your opinion. A - 3 Int game and 1 TD game can be better than a game with No INTs based on the context of the play. For example, did the INTs come from bouncing of the WRs chest or due to a wrong route versus did the QB throw tons of INT type passes that were just dropped by the defense.

2.) Remember TV-Copy Scouting misinforms opinions on QB Play: Were the receivers open when the QB held onto the ball? Did a receiver run the wrong route? Did a WR slip? Was the play design Poor and destined to fail

3.) What's around QB matters: Who has the better Offensive line?, Offensive Coordinator? Who's defense gets the ball back to them the most? Who has the better Rushing attack? Who's pass catchers are better? Are their skill players injured??

4.) Opponent's Matter: What is the nature of the competition they are up against?

5.) When the game happens: Was the game on a short week?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------

My thoughts:

As the "I Told You So" Darnold and Mayfield fans have discovered, what one feels about their rookie QB can change based on the next week/weeks. Instead of riding the roller-coaster of emotion it's best to enjoy the moment and let the season play out. It takes at least 3 years before we'll know what the QBs really are as some are fast out the gate with success and fall to the back of the pack or regress completely while others are slow out the gate and end up having HOF careers.

I didn't feel like adding Josh Rosen or Josh Allen to this post, but if someone wants to .. have at it.. it's possible that one of them could end up being the best of the bunch when it's all said and done. Rosen has played well this season despite the stats.

On Declarations of QB messiah foolery....

-------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Baker Mayfield - The Context

1.) Offensive Line:

---------------------------------------------

Baker Mayfield - Every Pass & Run - The TV Copy Film

1.) Game 1, Week 3: The Jets

2.) Game 2, Week 4: Oakland

3.) Game 3, Week 5: Ratbirds

4.) Game 4, Week 6: Chargers

-----------------------------------------------------------

Baker Mayfield - The Basic Box-Score Stats:

7yahqPT.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam Darnold - The Context

1.) Offensive Line:

----------

Sam Darnold - Every Pass & Run - The TV Copy Film

1.) Game 1, Week 1: Detroit Lions

2.) Game 2, Week 2: Dolphins

3.) Game 3, Week 3: Cleveland

4.) Game 4, Week 4: Jaguars

5.) Game 5, Week 5: Denver

6.) Game 6, Week 6: Colts

---------------------------

Sam Darnold - The Basic Box-Score Stats

Om1lsf6.png

Week 7 - Some Conclusions for now:

It's debatable given the context surrounding the QBs and analysis of their play on who's played the best to this point between Darnold and Baker.

There are arguments to be made in Darnold's favor as their are in Baker's favor.

Currently, I'd give Baker the slight edge, but it's close. To me, that's interesting because I thought Darnold would be near Deshone Kizer awful awful in his first year as I thought he was no where close to ready to start.

Both QBs have played really well at times.

There will likely be separation amongst them as teams get to know their film and more play is observed.

*Whose

33 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

My opinion is that if you are a 1st round pick you shouldn't look awful at QB as a rookie in 2018. There will be times they do and they should only get better from here but the league caters to QBs so if you look awful that would be a terrible sign.

Just gonna put this here:

DbrEzbTWAAAEXvo.jpg

Archived