Tracking Baker Mayfield VS. Sam Darnold's 1st Yr Play

Mind Character

20 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'm still 50-50 on Darnold vs Baker, it is too early to tell imo. I was Darnold pre draft, his highlights were better than Bakers imo. It is important to remember Rg3 beat Luck for rookie of the year, but the best qb from the class is probably Wilson. 

It's all to early to tell, most likely the player with the most success will be the one with the best organization around them.

Way too early. And the what have you done for me lately crowd will obviously write off Darnold. (Scooping up them rookie cards as we speak) I’m still fairly positive he’s the real deal (not our real deal, who uh well named himself) and will show out. But ghast I like our support system better than the Jets. 

44 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Way too early. And the what have you done for me lately crowd will obviously write off Darnold. (Scooping up them rookie cards as we speak) I’m still fairly positive he’s the real deal (not our real deal, who uh well named himself) and will show out. But ghast I like our support system better than the Jets. 

Well we've scored 10 more points and gave up 9 more points through 10 games and both teams have 3 wins. So... Baker is doing equal with more? Besides getting turnovers (and the entire last game) our supporting cast hasn't really been any better. Hopefully going forward that proves to be true but between the refs (I'm counting em), the kickers and having 3 of the top 10 in drops https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=11&qualified=0&sortOrder=0&page=1 Baker hasn't had an easy road either. Neither seem to have had much coaching help.

I projected Baker with a higher ceiling and both having close to the same floor so I would have been cool with either of them, better than having Kizer. Now, just watching Baker throw in the NFL I wouldn't trade Baker for Darnold and two firsts. The position is too important and I think there will be a gap between the two when all is said and done, doesn't mean Darnold won't be a top 10 QB but I think Mayfield will be competing for the elite status at some point.

12 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well we've scored 10 more points and gave up 9 more points through 10 games and both teams have 3 wins. So... Baker is doing equal with more? Besides getting turnovers (and the entire last game) our supporting cast hasn't really been any better. Hopefully going forward that proves to be true but between the refs (I'm counting em), the kickers and having 3 of the top 10 in drops https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=11&qualified=0&sortOrder=0&page=1 Baker hasn't had an easy road either. Neither seem to have had much coaching help.

I projected Baker with a higher ceiling and both having close to the same floor so I would have been cool with either of them, better than having Kizer. Now, just watching Baker throw in the NFL I wouldn't trade Baker for Darnold and two firsts. The position is too important and I think there will be a gap between the two when all is said and done, doesn't mean Darnold won't be a top 10 QB but I think Mayfield will be competing for the elite status at some point.

I lean fairly strongly towards Darnold busting, but I do see the physical talent he has. So I would be surprised if he is a top ten QB but not shocked

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

It's always been Baker.

tumblr_mu1pllDVLI1svg08to1_500.gif

On my end, I was adamantly Team Darnold. I was emphatic. As a fan, we have always passed on the guy I’ve wanted, and he is a star elsewhere. And our guy sucks. I saw this as the next in that long line. Baker is for real though. He won’t bust so long as he keeps his focus. Way better than I thought he’d be. Darnold looks rough. I think most Darnold fans figured he was a couple years away, so the potential is still there. Clearly this far though, we have to be thrilled with the choice. 

5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'm still 50-50 on Darnold vs Baker, it is too early to tell imo. I was Darnold pre draft, his highlights were better than Bakers imo. It is important to remember Rg3 beat Luck for rookie of the year, but the best qb from the class is probably Wilson. 

It's all to early to tell, most likely the player with the most success will be the one with the best organization around them.

Under the current rules do you think Luck ends up better as he's not banged up all the time (like Nate's mum)?

42 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

Under the current rules do you think Luck ends up better as he's not banged up all the time (like Nate's mum)?

Great question

Luck is having a better season atm, I thought he was screwed to be honest with his injury.

I don't like the personel in Wilsons offense, Doug Baldwin sucks now and they have no weapons. I still think Luck would have to win the superbowl to have a better career than Wilson. If Seattle gets organized in the next year or two I think Wilson could have an MVP like season.

12 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Kizer sent out invites  but they got intercepted. 

Kessler thinks he did  but he can't remember after  all the concussions. 

Oh goodness. This is just too promising to not explore further.

Derek Anderson tried, but he just went way too hard and freaked all the potential guests out.

RG3 was going to but he lacerated his tongue on the first invitation and was out for two weeks.

Charlie Whitehurst thought about it, but bad things are about to happen when Jesus sits around a table with his male followers. 

53 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Wow. Just wow.

So....not that what hes doing isn't impressive, but I have NO idea how he is getting those numbers.

If you assume Baker has played for 7.5 games, and has 1984 yards and 13 touchdowns and 7 Interceptions...

If he finishes the season he will play 13.5 games with 3,571 yards and 23 touchdowns and 13 interceptions.

That being said those numbers are still REALLY impressive for a rookie...

Carson Wentz rookie season was 16 games with 3,782 yards, 16 touchdowns and 13 interceptions.

Derek Carrs rookie season was 16 games with 3,270 yards, 21 touchdowns and 12 interceptions 

Andrew Lucks rookie seasons was 16 games 4,374 yards, 23 touchdowns and 18 interceptions.

RGIII's rookie season was 15 games for 3,200 yards, 20 touchdowns and 5 interceptions.

Russell Wilsons rookie season was 16 games 3,118 yards for 26 touchdowns and 10 interceptions

Cam Newtons rookie season was 16 games 4,051 yards for 21 touchdowns and 17 interceptions

These are the best rookies I could think of in this new passing era...

If baker played all 16 games, based on his average right now (ignoring the half game for average purposes) he would be on pace for around 4,075 yards, 29 touchdowns, and 16 interceptions.

I think we can all agree we have something to be excited for...

10 minutes ago, mistakey said:

seriously.  sitting both mayfield and chubb is pretty much like having Russell Wilson and Adrian Peterson on your bench and bein like

'nah, ill pass'

I think calling Chubb Adrian Peterson is getting a little ahead of ourselves.

That being said!  Based on what hes done so far...

If he continues production through the last 6 weeks like he has in games hes played....hes is on pace for 1,274 yards... (I considered the first 6 games with the 16 carries he got as 1 start)

If he played the whole season at this insane pace, he would be on track for 1,862 yards.

So maybe your not all that far off....

I just don't know that he can keep up a 6.2 yard per carry average.

I would be thrilled with 4.7-5.0 :-P

Archived