Tracking Baker Mayfield VS. Sam Darnold's 1st Yr Play

Mind Character

9 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Adrian Peterson started on the bench
yet showed out of the gate he could be a force
he avged 5.63 ypc in his rookie year
theyre nearly the same size
if not for nick chubbs college injury, nick chubb gets taken in the top 10

Peterson started out on the bench despite averaging 5.6 yards per carry primarily because Chester Taylor was more experienced and also averaging mid 5's (5.4) yards per attempt.

Maybe its a revisionist history thing, but comparing it to Adrian Petersons beginning is comparing it to the start of what we now know as a Hall of Fame career, so its hard for me to view that way.

That being said I LOVED Chubb before he got hurt.  After he never really seemed to regain what he had before.  That's why he wasn't top 10 because he never again looked in college like he did his freshman and sophomore years. It is certainly looking up for him and I'm hoping he can maintain this!

3 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Peterson started out on the bench despite averaging 5.6 yards per carry primarily because Chester Taylor was more experienced and also averaging mid 5's (5.4) yards per attempt.

Maybe its a revisionist history thing, but comparing it to Adrian Petersons beginning is comparing it to the start of what we now know as a Hall of Fame career, so its hard for me to view that way.

That being said I LOVED Chubb before he got hurt.  After he never really seemed to regain what he had before.  That's why he wasn't top 10 because he never again looked in college like he did his freshman and sophomore years. It is certainly looking up for him and I'm hoping he can maintain this!

i dunno bruh i aint ever seen a running back in brown and orange who can run as hard and as fast as him with as good a vision, and i aint seen many in my time watching the NFL who can do what he can do.  dude seems special.  gotta get new HOFers from somewhere, and the talent that comes out of UGAs RB room is very real

Nick chubb is something special. His balance is unreal, the first time I was impressed with was pre season when he had two guys on him and a lb came to smash him, he hit chubb and bounced off.

He is the best browns rb since the return, best combo of balance, speed power, strength. 

On the 92 yarder he got hit in the ankles by a rb, that takes a few players down.

14 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well we've scored 10 more points and gave up 9 more points through 10 games and both teams have 3 wins. So... Baker is doing equal with more? Besides getting turnovers (and the entire last game) our supporting cast hasn't really been any better. Hopefully going forward that proves to be true but between the refs (I'm counting em), the kickers and having 3 of the top 10 in drops https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=11&qualified=0&sortOrder=0&page=1 Baker hasn't had an easy road either. Neither seem to have had much coaching help.

I projected Baker with a higher ceiling and both having close to the same floor so I would have been cool with either of them, better than having Kizer. Now, just watching Baker throw in the NFL I wouldn't trade Baker for Darnold and two firsts. The position is too important and I think there will be a gap between the two when all is said and done, doesn't mean Darnold won't be a top 10 QB but I think Mayfield will be competing for the elite status at some point.

When I said “support system” I was referring to front office not supporting cast. I’m very high on them to provide Baker with what he needs more so than what the jets will provide Darnold. Dorsey cares about good ole buddy boy and will make sure he succeeds. 

50 minutes ago, mistakey said:

i dunno bruh i aint ever seen a running back in brown and orange who can run as hard and as fast as him with as good a vision, and i aint seen many in my time watching the NFL who can do what he can do.  dude seems special.  gotta get new HOFers from somewhere, and the talent that comes out of UGAs RB room is very real

I don't disagree that I REALLY like what I see.

I'm just saying I'm going game by game and enjoying hoping this continues.  So far hes started 4 games. As much as I hope that continues, I don't wanna get ahead of myself....

Again, that being said I love what I see.  His ability to break tackles and stay on his feet is astounding.  I am loving watching this kid run...

About Chubb. Feel like after his injury he was never 100% mentally recover from it. Still a tad bit hesitant his final years at UoG. Feel like his early success, that he knows he can take hits, break tackles, and break off and run away from defenders, that he is not longer held back from that injury.  He knows he is healthy and he knows he belong. I think he should get better and better as time goes on. I don’t think we have seen the best version yet!!! A version Scouts didn’t think he would get back too. I thought he be good but I didn’t think his balance would be this good or his break away speed. I thought he would struggle to run away from defenders but he has that game breaking speed 

The next step is for Chubb to be utilized in the passing game... Saquon and Chubb comparisons along the "we were right" type stuff are ridiculous...

Everyone likes to say we made the right choice when comparing Saquon and Chubb's rushing stats (there was no choice as Saquon didn't even fall to 4 and we were always taking a QB1), but for confirmation bias reasons such people discount Saquon's 62 receptions for over 530 yards...

Both are really good players and have well this year...

I hope Chubb gets more passing game opportunities...

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Poor Saquon. We will be laughing while the Giants have Eli Manning playing into his 50s and they’ll be begging Davis Webb to come back and be their savior....

I wonder if we would even need Baker if we had just drafted Davis Webb.

19 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

The next step is for Chubb to be utilized in the passing game... Saquon and Chubb comparisons along the "we were right" type stuff are ridiculous...

Everyone likes to say we made the right choice when comparing Saquon and Chubb's rushing stats (there was no choice as Saquon didn't even fall to 4 and we were always taking a QB1), but for confirmation bias reasons such people discount Saquon's 62 receptions for over 530 yards...

We don't need 50+ receptions from Chubb as we have Duke for the next 2 years. I agree Chubb needs to take a step forwards as a receiver, but he doesn't have to Saquon 

28 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Lets not kid ourselves into thinking his 62 receptions have nothing to do with Eli Manning's inability/lack of want to test downfield. I have seen 3 Giants games this season and Eli looks like Cody Kessler these days. Saquon for the most part hasn't been anything special with those receptions either.

9 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

We don't need 50+ receptions from Chubb as we have Duke for the next 2 years. I agree Chubb needs to take a step forwards as a receiver, but he doesn't have to Saquon 

Of course we don't need 50+ receptions from Chubb nor was I calling for it... just was saying I'd love to see him get more passing utilization and opportunities to see if he can be a threat in that regard similar to the impact of top RBs in the league and their multifaceted impact abilities...

... his increased versatility in the passing game would also prevent Defenses from cue-ing into RB pass play options when Duke is in the personnel grouping.

Archived