Tracking Baker Mayfield VS. Sam Darnold's 1st Yr Play

Mind Character

Here is an awesome article on Baker that I think echos the sentiment coming into the draft about the "it" factor a number of Browns fans saw and had us hoping he would be the pick. It feels good to finally have a draft coming up where we have cornerstone pieces in place around which to build.

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-baker-mayfield-perfect-fit-nfls-imperfect-team-talks-smack-everybody-230136145.html

Just now, Mind Character said:

Man.... I was really hoping ppl would help me keep this thread up to date with the stats and videos... I'm too lazy to keep it going for right now.. maybe in a few weeks..... lol...

Would you have been more motivated if Darnold was lighting it up?

Image result for teasing gif  Image result for wink gif

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

Would you have been more motivated if Darnold was lighting it up?

Image result for teasing gif  Image result for wink gif

LOL... haha.

Funny stuff...

... but honestly nope..... my long post, screenshot of stats, video linking days are long behind me...

I'm an old internet forum poster now... i have to wear knee braces.. and ice down my ankles after every long post...

... It's No Internet for Old Men...

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095be9c22e715a495a32

Baker Mayfield:

176 of 285, 61.8% cmpl%, 1984 yds, 13 TD (4.6%), 7 INT (2.5%), Y/A 7.0, AY/A 6.8, QBR 87.5, Sacked 22 times, PFF Grade 74.5

Sam Darnold:

159 of 289, 55.0% cmpl%, 1934 yds, 11 TD (3.8%), 14 INT (4.8%), Y/A 6.7, AY/A 5.3, QBR 68.3, Sacked 21 times, PFF Grade 50.9

4 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Baker Mayfield:

176 of 285, 61.8% cmpl%, 1984 yds, 13 TD (4.6%), 7 INT (2.5%), Y/A 7.0, AY/A 6.8, QBR 87.5, Sacked 22 times, PFF Grade 74.5

Sam Darnold:

159 of 289, 55.0% cmpl%, 1934 yds, 11 TD (3.8%), 14 INT (4.8%), Y/A 6.7, AY/A 5.3, QBR 68.3, Sacked 21 times, PFF Grade 50.9

Nick Chubb

94 attempts 579 yards 5 TD   (2) 100 yard games high of 176

Saquon Barkley 

111 attempts 519 yards 5 TD (2) 100 yard games high of 130

Sam Darnold has been the QB THIS YEAR that I thought he'd be if he was a starter...really raw, forcing throws, struggling to read safeties on the intermediate routes. I thought that he should get the Mahomes treatment and sit for an entire year. He was only a 2 year starter and regressed as a sophomore when asked to do too much/didn't have some talented guys around him (Smith-Schuster for one). He can make the "wow" throws and does well downfield, but turned it over on a very regular basis. His arm and footwork mechanics are clearly leading to inaccuracy and inconsistency issues. 

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Sam Darnold has been the QB THIS YEAR that I thought he'd be if he was a starter...really raw, forcing throws, struggling to read safeties on the intermediate routes. I thought that he should get the Mahomes treatment and sit for an entire year. He was only a 2 year starter and regressed as a sophomore when asked to do too much/didn't have some talented guys around him (Smith-Schuster for one). He can make the "wow" throws and does well downfield, but turned it over on a very regular basis. His arm and footwork mechanics are clearly leading to inaccuracy and inconsistency issues. 

Absolutely.

Indeed, even those of us that loved Darnold as a prospect the most foresaw a historically bad rookie year for Darnold if he was forced to start early.

Anyone that didn't see this season coming from 1000 miles away was not paying attention, or let their love for Darnold the prospect blind the reality of his play development. 

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Imagine how bad he’d be playing with Hue as HC this year. 

Kizer-esque.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Absolutely.

Indeed, even those of us that loved Darnold as a prospect the most foresaw a historically bad rookie year for Darnold if he was forced to start early.

Anyone that didn't see this season coming from 1000 miles away was not paying attention, or let their love for Darnold the prospect blind the reality of his play development. 

Which means that if you are drafting him you are doing it for the raw tools that he has and he is more of a project QB than someone who is more developed that can evaluated at the time of the draft. That would be too much of a gamble for me to draft a guy like that at the top of the 1st round, he could work out like Goff did but he could also fail like many other QBs drafted in the top 5 who weren't ready.

That said, I didn't/don't feel that way about him. Allen was a project. Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold showed enough and with a favorable system they should have some success and shouldn't embarrass themselves as rookies and I don't think they have embarrassed themselves. Before Darnold's late 2nd half against the Dolphins he threw 8 TD to 5 INTs through his last 5+ games. Nothing great but not terrible in that offense. Rosen hasn't lit it up either but has done better in that offense than Bradford did for the first few games. Baker has a huge advantage because his arm is much more impressive than the other two, he can hit widows that most QBs can't. I was all in for Baker but I didn't expect his arm to be as good as it is. I wouldn't trade him for a single player in the league, his abilities exceeded my expectations. I figured he would be good at rallying the troops and all of that and maybe had a slightly better arm than Rosen/Darnold but it is more than just slightly better.

8 hours ago, shoffma1999 said:

Here is an awesome article on Baker that I think echos the sentiment coming into the draft about the "it" factor a number of Browns fans saw and had us hoping he would be the pick. It feels good to finally have a draft coming up where we have cornerstone pieces in place around which to build.

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-baker-mayfield-perfect-fit-nfls-imperfect-team-talks-smack-everybody-230136145.html

The note in here about having the line over for dinner in his house and Bitonio saying no QB in the last five years had done that...

How did all of our previous QBs miss the leadership lesson on creating relationships? Like, wow. In five years, never having your line over for a meal.

13 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

The note in here about having the line over for dinner in his house and Bitonio saying no QB in the last five years had done that...

How did all of our previous QBs miss the leadership lesson on creating relationships? Like, wow. In five years, never having your line over for a meal.

Baker understood how important the big boys were during his days at Oklahoma. You’d think Kizer would have as well.

Archived