Browns run defense

buno67

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

hopefully it’s the right link. I’m doing it from my phone, so I’m hoping it’s right. If not, I’ll post the proper link from my computer later  

Just really thinking about our run defense and truly how much we are missing Shelton and just want to see what the stats say. This got me thinking about it because of someone talking about how we sold low on Him. 

Football outsides provides some darn good data on how opposing defenses are attacked by the run. 

Right now, opposing offenses have run the ball bewteen the guards at the browns on 52% of their run plays. Which is the 10th lowest. League avg is 56% and the highest is 70%. Now teams are averaging 3.3yards a carry running between the guards against the browns. That’s the 3rd lowest in the league. TB is 2nd at 3.18 and Car is #1 at 1.88. League avg is 4.26. By the way the Pats are giving 4.66yards on inside run plays (22nd)

Stats are showing that teams are killing the Browns running the ball off tackle or outside. When teams run at the RDE they avg. 5.11yards a pop (22nd best) and when they run at the LDE it’s 4.8 a pop (23rd). When running off tackle it’s even worse. Basically teams are averaging close to 5yards a carry when they are not attacking  the Inside gaps. Stats are showing the browns have the 3rd best rush defense when teams try inside and that they have a bottom 10 rush defense when they go outside on the browns. 

Makes sense because the chargers freaking destroyed the outside run game last Sunday. 

Seeing those numbers I was really surprised that the numbers showed the browns interior run defense was that good. 

What im pulling from this, Shelton isn’t being as missed as everyone thought and he really isn’t helping with the Pats. I think the numbers really reflect our LB play tho.  Joe has been great MLB and that’s why I think our interior run defense is where it’s at stat wise. I think Kirkys isn’t having that great of a year, not bad but not great and that Collins has been bad and greatly inconsistent. To have great outside run support, you need OLBs that can play the position properly. Our OLBs haven’t at all this year. Best example is Collins this past week being blocking by rivers and giving up on the one Gordon TD play. 

I really want to see Dorsey make a trade for a LB or make that our first rd pick (depending where they are drafting)

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

I really want to see Dorsey make a trade for a LB or make that our first rd pick (depending where they are drafting)

I'm not extremely high on this LB class. The only one I'd like to spend a first rounder on would be Mack Wilson. He's kind of in a league of his own in this LB class right now, IMO.

Especially considering the strength of the D-linemen in this class, taking a 6'0" LB may be questionable to me, depending where we pick.

1 minute ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I'm not extremely high on this LB class. The only one I'd like to spend a first rounder on would be Mack Wilson. He's kind of in a league of his own in this LB class right now, IMO.

Especially considering the strength of the D-linemen in this class, taking a 6'0" LB may be questionable to me, depending where we pick.

That’s why it depends on draft position. I don’t want to see them over draft a LB. I just would like to see some legit talent brought in. 

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

That’s why it depends on draft position. I don’t want to see them over draft a LB. I just would like to see some legit talent brought in. 

Agreed. I like Wilson a lot, but his size will hold him back at times. He is great in coverage, smart player. It does depend where we're picking, but this D-line class has some special talent at the top. I think that could benefit us just as much, if not more.

Ogbah and Garrett were both pretty bad against the run last week. That needs to improve. Garrett's play has slowly declined as the season goes on. They need to take him out for a series every now and then. It's obvious that it's taking a toll.

26 minutes ago, bruceb said:

It's much more than the run D...it's the entire D.

Here is one disturbing -- but understandable based on what we have been seeing -- take: https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/17/chargers-quotes-indicate-they-played-gregg-williams-against-his-own-browns-defense/

1999 called they want their defensive coordinator back. 

11 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I really hope we replace Collins with either Anthony Barr or Devin White. 

Barr hasn't looked that impressive to me, I woudn't pay the dollar that he is going to command. With kirko, Schobert and Avery i think we have enough. 

50 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I really hope we replace Collins with either Anthony Barr or Devin White. 

I would take Barr before White. 

A lot of people think negatively of Barr (*cough* @Kiwibrown *cough*) after that performance on TNF against the Rams. Those TD's in coverage definitely weren't on him. He's a solid LB who can be a great asset to this team.

I'm not very high on White. He's great from an athletic standpoint, but his football IQ just seems awful. Misdiagnosing plays, taking poor angles...he's suuuper raw, IMO.

EDIT: I'd probably take on flyer on White in round 2 tbh. He's extremely talented. But he definitely needs polish, and considering the talent we'd hypothetically be passing up for him in Round 1, I'd be a little disappointed.

Just now, MistaBohmbastic said:

I would take Barr before White. 

A lot of people think negatively of Barr (*cough* @Kiwibrown *cough*) after that performance on TNF against the Rams. Those TD's in coverage definitely weren't on him. He's a solid LB who can be a great asset to this team.

I'm not very high on White. He's great from an athletic standpoint, but his football IQ just seems awful. Misdiagnosing plays, taking poor angles...he's suuuper raw, IMO.

It isn't limited to the TNF game, I just don't rate high priced linebackers, or not multiple high priced linebackers. I wouldn't pay a SS much either. 

DE
CB
DT
FS
DE
DT
LB
CB 

would be my list of priorities on defense. 

4 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

It isn't limited to the TNF game, I just don't rate high priced linebackers, or not multiple high priced linebackers. I wouldn't pay a SS much either. 

DE
CB
DT
FS
DE
DT
LB
CB 

would be my list of priorities on defense. 

Fair point. For me, I'd like to address the LB position, but I'd prefer that comes thru FA because this class is underwhelming in my eyes. At least the top of the class. I'd definitely like DE, DT or CB if they address defense early in the draft.

Not high on Randall, though?

Archived