Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JonStark

Aaron Donald's holdout

Recommended Posts

BStanRamFan    9

I heard we've agreed on numbers, but the hold up is the "opt out" clause. AD wants one and we obviously don't want to give him one. My guess is he'll be back Week 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StLunatic88    35
3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I heard we've agreed on numbers, but the hold up is the "opt out" clause. AD wants one and we obviously don't want to give him one. My guess is he'll be back Week 2.

If he wants an opt out after year 2 or even year 3, why would we ever agree to that? Then we are just giving him extra money for the years we already control him.

It sounds like they want nothing but a favorable contract for Donald. Thats not going to happen. There has to be incentive for the Team as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BStanRamFan    9

Everyone (including AD) should focus on how Westbrooks and Smart play this weekend. If they get a sack, FF, PD, and play the run well,  then the pressure to sign AD decreases. Then the idea of trading him becomes more likely. Realistically, what would his value be? 1st + proven player. 1st +2nd+ Flyer. What would be a bench mark for a trade like this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JonStark    21
18 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Everyone (including AD) should focus on how Westbrooks and Smart play this weekend. If they get a sack, FF, PD, and play the run well,  then the pressure to sign AD decreases. Then the idea of trading him becomes more likely. Realistically, what would his value be? 1st + proven player. 1st +2nd+ Flyer. What would be a bench mark for a trade like this?

I honestly can't even think of an offer I would accept. It would have to be something massive like 2 1sts and a proven player, or a 1st or 2nd and a stud (depending on the position).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BStanRamFan    9

So I think our best trading partner would be Cleveland due to Greg Williams, Cap Space, and draft capital. I would accept below from them:

 

-2018 1st(theirs, not Houston's)

-2018 2nd (theirs, not Houston's)

-2019 2nd or 3rd

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
holt_bruce81    25
17 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

So I think our best trading partner would be Cleveland due to Greg Williams, Cap Space, and draft capital. I would accept below from them:

 

-2018 1st(theirs, not Houston's)

-2018 2nd (theirs, not Houston's)

-2019 2nd or 3rd

 

 

 

 

Hell no 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StLunatic88    35
30 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

So I think our best trading partner would be Cleveland due to Greg Williams, Cap Space, and draft capital. I would accept below from them:

 

-2018 1st(theirs, not Houston's)

-2018 2nd (theirs, not Houston's)

-2019 2nd or 3rd

That would be an awful return for what many consider to be the games best defensive player.

Trading him is not an option. He would have to sit our the entire year for me to even begin to consider a trade. and even then, we would still own his rights for another 2 years, so I still probably wouldnt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
showtime    52
2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Everyone (including AD) should focus on how Westbrooks and Smart play this weekend. If they get a sack, FF, PD, and play the run well,  then the pressure to sign AD decreases. Then the idea of trading him becomes more likely. Realistically, what would his value be? 1st + proven player. 1st +2nd+ Flyer. What would be a bench mark for a trade like this?

I honestly don't believe it even matters what Westbrooks, Smart and the other guys do; especially with the Colts not having Andrew Luck.  Aaron Donald is clearly one of the best players in the entire league and with his age, there's no way I would trade him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Forge    234
2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Everyone (including AD) should focus on how Westbrooks and Smart play this weekend. If they get a sack, FF, PD, and play the run well,  then the pressure to sign AD decreases. Then the idea of trading him becomes more likely. Realistically, what would his value be? 1st + proven player. 1st +2nd+ Flyer. What would be a bench mark for a trade like this?

I don't know that there is one. Obviously, with trades happening infrequently enough as it is in the NFL for prime players theres not much to go on, and then when you go position specific, I have no idea. I mean, maybe the Jared Allen trade? And that's not even an ideal one since they don't play the same position or same role...but I can't think of anything more comparable in the recent past in terms of age (both 26), production and talent level (Allen was a first team all pro his last year in KC, Donald a two time first team all pro, I believe). 

For reference, that deal, which was 10 years ago (wow), was Allen + 6th for a 1st (17th overall), two 3rd round picks and a 6th rounder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jrry32    194
10 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

So I think our best trading partner would be Cleveland due to Greg Williams, Cap Space, and draft capital. I would accept below from them:

 

-2018 1st(theirs, not Houston's)

-2018 2nd (theirs, not Houston's)

-2019 2nd or 3rd

 

 

 

 

That would be a disaster of a trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Forge    234
2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That would be a disaster of a trade.

Agreed. I said i would take two firsts from Cleveland for him, but even that i had to really think about and fully understand not taking it.

And just so its clear, i wasn't advocating the Allen trade in my prior post for him; was just trying to find a benchmark for the trade lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jrry32    194
Just now, Forge said:

Agreed. I said i would take two firsts from Cleveland for him, but even that i had to really think about and fully understand not taking it.

And just so its clear, i wasn't advocating the Allen trade in my prior post for him; was just trying to find a benchmark for the trade lol

Picks are an uncertainty. I want a Pro Bowl caliber player + picks if I'm trading arguably the best defensive player in the NFL as he's about to enter his prime. Basically, I'm not trading Donald.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Forge    234
1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Picks are an uncertainty. I want a Pro Bowl caliber player + picks if I'm trading arguably the best defensive player in the NFL as he's about to enter his prime. Basically, I'm not trading Donald.

They did say that they'd throw in Danny Shelton too :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jrry32    194
Just now, Forge said:

They did say that they'd throw in Danny Shelton too :P

For me, any trade negotiation with Cleveland starts with Kevin Zeitler and two first round picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×