Aaron Donald's holdout

JonStark

2 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Holds out for absolutely nothing. Reports just in time to miss week 1 but still collect a game check while costing somebody else theirs haha

Rams got a roster exemption for a week. Nobody cut just yet.

Would you rather him continue to hold out until he gets paid? Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. 9_9

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Would you rather him continue to hold out until he gets paid? Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. 9_9

I'd rather he didn't hold out. But it's funny to me that he reports after holding out and has all this leverage yet wasn't able to get a deal done. So much for having all the leverage 9_9

He's damned for holding out the rest is immaterial. 

2 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

I'd rather he didn't hold out. But it's funny to me that he reports after holding out and has all this leverage yet wasn't able to get a deal done. So much for having all the leverage 9_9

He's damned for holding out the rest is immaterial. 

The fact that people are still talking about getting a deal done with him shows the leverage he has. If you're one of the people who believed that Donald had no leverage, you are welcome to stand behind your delusion. But the fact that the Rams waived his fines pretty clearly shows that was not the case.

I'll just wait for you to damn teams for cutting players if you're going to damn players for holding out. Business is business.

Just now, jrry32 said:

The fact that people are still talking about getting a deal done with him shows the leverage he has. If you're one of the people who believed that Donald had no leverage, you are welcome to stand behind your delusion. But the fact that the Rams waived his fines pretty clearly shows that was not the case.

The Rams were negotiating with them before OTA's and before he held out. The Rams waiving the fines is clearly a good will gesture. He's a Ram or he's not in the NFL for the next 4 years whether he likes it or not. That fact doesn't sound like a lot of leverage to me.

6 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

The Rams were negotiating with them before OTA's and before he held out. The Rams waiving the fines is clearly a good will gesture. He's a Ram or he's not in the NFL for the next 4 years whether he likes it or not. That fact doesn't sound like a lot of leverage to me.

It's clearly not a goodwill gesture. It's to get Donald to report. The Rams were negotiating with him for months. No deal happened. No deal has still happened. But the Rams now know how far Donald will go to get one. You better bet they will be taking negotiations more seriously this season and next off-season (if a deal doesn't happen before then). You're delusional if you think Donald has no leverage.

I'm with NVRamsFan, Donald had no leverage whatsoever since the beginning of the holdout. 

First Rams doesn't have the cap to give what he wants this year unless we cut a lot of player. Rams has all the leverage

Second, he has 2 years left on the contract, he can't afford holdout 1- 2 years without salary. Rams has all the leverage here. 

Since he has no leverage, Donald report today and Rams doesn't gave him fine because that's the game. Everybody is happy. 

So much leverage he caved and came back so he wouldn't miss game checks. A party's leverage is based on it's ability to apply benefits or costs to the other side. The Rams can apply the leverage of the fines they were imposing and they can withhold gameday checks. The can also apply leverage because AD can't play for anybody else without the Rams permission by trading him for the next two years. Following those two years they can apply the exclusive rights franchise tag which means if somebody signs him to a deal that he likes they simply match it then they get him for even more years.

Aaron Donalds leverage is to hold out and not play. This costs him a lot of money and doesn't help him on the field. Aaron Donald sits out 10 games the Rams can still play and win games. They still as part of the NFL make a lot of money. And somebody else collects a gameday check as part of the Rams 53 man roster. Aaron Donald can shut his personal business down and the Rams would lose one of their better players for some games but they'd still be in full business and have total control over where he plays for at least the next two years if not more.

They've demonstrated through negotiations for at least 6 months now that they want him. The reports we have, leaked info I know not the most reliable but it's all we have, say they want to make him the highest paid defender in the league on a contract similar to Von Millers numbers. It's all up to AD. I'm glad he's back with the team and when he's on the field I'll cheer just as hard for him as I did last year and the year before. But if he were to leave the team via trade or free agency I'll still be a Rams fan.

You have made it perfectly clear you will not recognize that he has no control over where he plays for some years to come and that is much more leverage than any he has on the Rams. I'm done with this debate he's at practice and he's a Ram that's all that matters. It's up to him if he wants to continue to be a Ram.

4 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

So much leverage he caved and came back so he wouldn't miss game checks. A party's leverage is based on it's ability to apply benefits or costs to the other side. The Rams can apply the leverage of the fines they were imposing and they can withhold gameday checks. The can also apply leverage because AD can't play for anybody else without the Rams permission by trading him for the next two years. Following those two years they can apply the exclusive rights franchise tag which means if somebody signs him to a deal that he likes they simply match it then they get him for even more years.

Aaron Donalds leverage is to hold out and not play. This costs him a lot of money and doesn't help him on the field. Aaron Donald sits out 10 games the Rams can still play and win games. They still as part of the NFL make a lot of money. And somebody else collects a gameday check as part of the Rams 53 man roster. Aaron Donald can shut his personal business down and the Rams would lose one of their better players for some games but they'd still be in full business and have total control over where he plays for at least the next two years if not more.

They've demonstrated through negotiations for at least 6 months now that they want him. The reports we have, leaked info I know not the most reliable but it's all we have, say they want to make him the highest paid defender in the league on a contract similar to Von Millers numbers. It's all up to AD. I'm glad he's back with the team and when he's on the field I'll cheer just as hard for him as I did last year and the year before. But if he were to leave the team via trade or free agency I'll still be a Rams fan.

You have made it perfectly clear you will not recognize that he has no control over where he plays for some years to come and that is much more leverage than any he has on the Rams. I'm done with this debate he's at practice and he's a Ram that's all that matters. It's up to him if he wants to continue to be a Ram.

Realistically, Donald currently has as much control over where he plays as he wants. If he doesn't want to play for the Rams, he can force his way out. If he wants an extension, he can force one of those too. It's really all about how far he wants to go.

I'm just shocked that people are delusional enough to believe he has no leverage. If he had no leverage, the Rams wouldn't come to the table. They wouldn't negotiate. They wouldn't waive the fines. They wouldn't give him the check for the game this week. The Rams don't want to burn a bridge here. That, alone, tells you that Donald has leverage. It's just blatantly obvious.

How much leverage he has is debatable, but him having at least some leverage is not debatable.

On 9/10/2017 at 4:44 AM, jrry32 said:

Realistically, Donald currently has as much control over where he plays as he wants. If he doesn't want to play for the Rams, he can force his way out. If he wants an extension, he can force one of those too. It's really all about how far he wants to go.

I'm just shocked that people are delusional enough to believe he has no leverage. If he had no leverage, the Rams wouldn't come to the table. They wouldn't negotiate. They wouldn't waive the fines. They wouldn't give him the check for the game this week. The Rams don't want to burn a bridge here. That, alone, tells you that Donald has leverage. It's just blatantly obvious.

How much leverage he has is debatable, but him having at least some leverage is not debatable.

I think saying no leverage is too extreme, but he doesn't have as much leverage as his agents think at least. The Rams were very serious about getting him in and offered Donald the highest paid defensive player contract but his representation said no. From there, he doesn't have much leverage as the Rams offered as much money as any defensive player has gotten ever. From there the ball is in the Donald camp. I believe Donald reported because he may not necessarily agree with his agents' advice at this moment and is showing the Rams he wants to be there, regardless of what the agents are saying at the moment.

On 9/10/2017 at 3:44 AM, jrry32 said:

Serious question from an earlier comment, do you really think the Rams werent serious at the negotiation table before this Hold Out? Because that is what this comes down to. Ill give this to you as you have to me a few times, you are taking the comment "no leverage" way too literally. Every person who is in any type of negotiation has some leverage, thats a given ans most of us on this side are moving past that and are speaking to this hold out directly.

The hold out is what had no leverage. Thats what we were speaking on. Orlando Pace did this all the time and it never really amounted to anything. We are already open to give him the biggest defensive contract ever, his agents are doing nothing but a disservice for him.

9 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Serious question from an earlier comment, do you really think the Rams werent serious at the negotiation table before this Hold Out? Because that is what this comes down to. Ill give this to you as you have to me a few times, you are taking the comment "no leverage" way too literally. Every person who is in any type of negotiation has some leverage, thats a given ans most of us on this side are moving past that and are speaking to this hold out directly.

The hold out is what had no leverage. Thats what we were speaking on. Orlando Pace did this all the time and it never really amounted to anything. We are already open to give him the biggest defensive contract ever, his agents are doing nothing but a disservice for him.

I don't know if the Rams were or weren't serious. None of us do. What I know is that they didn't get a deal done.

Orlando Pace used to hold out because he didn't want to go through training camp.

Archived