Preseason Week 2: Ravens vs Dolphins

Webmaster

I didn't see a gameday topic for tonight's game so I created one.   Let's get some ravens fans in here tonight and discuss the game while it happens.   Who's watching the game tonight at 7pm?  @drd23, @coordinator0, @sp6488 @Danand @Darth Pees @paraven @RavensfanRD @BaltimoreTerp  @wackywabbit @ravens_rool28 @RavensfanRD @Ray Reed 

What are you going to be watching tonight?  Any position battles or rookies that you are interested in?

We'll learn next to nothing about the passing game with Mallet in. I already feel really good about the defense, just want to learn more about the young edge rushers. So the key for me is the running game/run blocking. Does West look like he can be a #1 (though if he's getting significant reps again in a preseason game it's not a great show of confidence), and can Taquan Mizell show something. Hurst vs Suh be should good for lols while we don't have a franchise QB back there.

And no significant injuries, please.   

Look forward to seeing:

1) Humphrey Play

2) Maclin in a ravens jersey

3) the defense shutting down Cutler, only for the media to say well cutler is rusty, and not give our d any credit. 

Not looking forward to seeing:

1) Mallet

20 minutes ago, paraven said:

Look forward to seeing:

1) Humphrey Play

2) Maclin in a ravens jersey

3) the defense shutting down Cutler, only for the media to say well cutler is rusty, and not give our d any credit. 

Not looking forward to seeing:

1) Mallet

While I am not "looking forward" to seeing Mallet, I am interested in how he plays.  

After 2015, I think everyone was of the mind that he was "fine" as the QB2 for Baltimore.  Of the cast of characters we cycled through following Joe's injury (Clausen, Schaub, Mallet) he looked the best and was able to actually start and win a game for us.  He wasn't anything special, but I feel safe saying that the general consensus was that he was "acceptable" as the backup moving forward, until there was someone better drafted.

2016 preseason, he had the following line:

35/50 (70%), 315 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT, 98.3 rating
That's fine, as far as one can read into preseason.  He saw negligible action during the season.

2017 - he has had one very bad preseason game and didn't look very good in camp.  The first item is unquestionably true.  The second item may potentially have been exaggerated a bit by some journalists looking to stoke the Kaepernick flame a bit (more likely the general thirst for football reporting, but I don't think that a zero impact to what we heard).  I know some local radio personalities started asking questions along the lines of "who the hell keeps statistics from training camp practices?" in response to some of the reports we were getting.  

This isn't to say I think he's a good QB or that I would be happy if we were rolling with him as our solution for the season.  I just think it's interesting how quickly the tide has turned from "he's fine" to "he's a complete dumpster fire, we have the worst backup to ever backup!"  I am not stoked to watch him play, nor am I confident that he'll look good, I am simply interested to see if he can bounce back and look "fine" or "acceptable" at the very least (keeping in mind too that the organization has largely looked at large investments in backup QB as an inefficient use of resources).   

10 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Our front absolutely owned their line on that series. Some TFL, blowing up a lot of plays, and the two holding calls (indicative of them being beat considering the plays). 

Dolphins starting guards aren't good, but FWIW I think only RG Jermon Bushrod started for Miami tonight.

NVM LT Tunsil is out there too.

Archived