Fire Jim Schwartz

Nabbs4u

4 minutes ago, RBreezy said:

Why didn’t the blitz Newton at the end threre? The guys inaccurate as hell, give him less time to work with and the defense gets off the field

Also continually trotting Mills out there is a fireable offense

Because they lost contain everytime they did all day

It sucks to say, because at his best Schwartz is one of the top DCs in the league, but yeah. He needs to go.

Doubt he gets fired midseason at all though.  Unless we just like lose the next 8 games in a row and then need someone to shoulder the blame. 

Here's what needs to happen.... I think Doug needs to bring in a young offensive coach from the college ranks, because it's so obvious that we have nobody but Doug to come up with offensive strategies, game planning, plays, etc. Groh is as meh as they come. And I like Duece but I just can't see him being some inventive/creative offensive coach. 

And then, Schwartz will need to be let go after the season. Which likely means we lose some defensive positional coaches. I like Undlin, and I think he should stay. Mills isn't his fault, and neither is McLeod getting hurt. But one thing I do wonder about is freaking Rasul Douglas. What in the hell is going on with him? Why is he not seeing the field at all, and instead were playing Dexter McDougle over him on Sunday. This might even deserve its own thread tbh because I'm baffled by it.

But that brings me back to Schwartz. It's safe to assume he's the one choosing to sit Rasul. He's the one who won't sit Mills. 

We've lost 2 games in 3 weeks in which we had a 97+% chance of winning in either the 4th quarter or at halftime. Two 17 pt leads blown. To offenses that frankly are fairly league average. 

So I wonder.....who should we bring in to replace Schwartz? Any college coaches that would be good candidates? I'm tired of the retreads. Same with OC. I'm not thrilled with Groh and we can see that losing Reich AND DeFelippo have hurt bad. Pederson is a great offensive coach, but he is best when he has someone he can bounce ideas off and brainstorm with. Obviously Lincoln Riley would be my ultimate dream hire but he isn't leaving OU I dont think

My favorites would be Dan Mullen, Lane Kiffin (say what you will but he's a great offensive mind and schemer, has FAU with a top 10 offense in the nation), Scott Frost (has done fantastic at UCF, whose offense has been one of the best as well)....and then Mike Leach #1. Why the heck has no team hired him yet? These NFL teams are all already stealing Leach's offense in all kinds of ways. 

Months ago we thought it was a miracle Schwartz was still going to be our DC and not get a HC job, now we're calling for his head. NFL is weird man. I never liked his scheme,  completely relying on the front 4 to basically carry the team, but it got results, and maybe he had no choice but to rely on the front 4. He turned what I considered silver defensive personnel into gold in my eyes. I don't think the answer is simply getting rid of Schwartz or that he alone is to blame for our defensive misfortunes, I think the talent is just genuinely not that great. I don't know, pretty torn on this one. 

54 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Months ago we thought it was a miracle Schwartz was still going to be our DC and not get a HC job, now we're calling for his head. NFL is weird man. I never liked his scheme,  completely relying on the front 4 to basically carry the team, but it got results, and maybe he had no choice but to rely on the front 4. He turned what I considered silver defensive personnel into gold in my eyes. I don't think the answer is simply getting rid of Schwartz or that he alone is to blame for our defensive misfortunes, I think the talent is just genuinely not that great. I don't know, pretty torn on this one. 

I mean, was it really all that impressive in retrospect? Look at how we performed in the Super Bowl? The Vikings had Case freakin Keenum as their QB so that looks far less impressive now than it did at the time. Falcons game perhaps. 

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

I mean, was it really all that impressive in retrospect? Look at how we performed in the Super Bowl? The Vikings had Case freakin Keenum as their QB so that looks far less impressive now than it did at the time. Falcons game perhaps. 

True, and some awful road performances. Also most of the dominant defensive outings were against the worst QBs in the league prior to the postseason.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

it was miles ahead of what we had for a long time, that's for sure.

We don't get to the super bowl without the D stepping up last year.

It was never a top top unit, but compared to what we had I can see why a lot of people felt like it was, which is making this fall to the mean hurt so much.

We have a great scheme to get hustle relentless guys to the QB..outside of fletch we don't have anyone that can make things happen every play.
Michael Bennett, has been solid but isn't playing much
Derek Barnett needed to take a step forward, he hasn't
Chris Long needed to maintain his limited production, he hasn't 
Brandon Graham, needed to be a consistent force at DE, and has been nearly invisible
And Timmy getting hurt and no good healthy #3 has the DTs killing us outside Cox

We unfortunately are going to have to address those spots sooner than we thought cause we could easily be going into next year with just Cox, Barnett, Bennett and Sweat.

But the D hasn't even been the worst part of this team this year

7 hours ago, Kiltman said:

it was miles ahead of what we had for a long time, that's for sure.

We don't get to the super bowl without the D stepping up last year.

It was never a top top unit, but compared to what we had I can see why a lot of people felt like it was, which is making this fall to the mean hurt so much.

We have a great scheme to get hustle relentless guys to the QB..outside of fletch we don't have anyone that can make things happen every play.
Michael Bennett, has been solid but isn't playing much
Derek Barnett needed to take a step forward, he hasn't
Chris Long needed to maintain his limited production, he hasn't 
Brandon Graham, needed to be a consistent force at DE, and has been nearly invisible
And Timmy getting hurt and no good healthy #3 has the DTs killing us outside Cox

We unfortunately are going to have to address those spots sooner than we thought cause we could easily be going into next year with just Cox, Barnett, Bennett and Sweat.

But the D hasn't even been the worst part of this team this year

That's very true, lost in all this (and it is unacceptable to blow 17-3 and 17-0 4th quarter leads) is the fact that our offense is the real unit under performing. I saw that our points allowed per drive rank around where it was at last season (I think we were 4th in 2017, 6th so far in 2018). Meanwhile the offense was top 5 in that stat last year but is 21st this year. This is supposed to be the year of the offense, look around the league, you can count the amount of teams that won s season while only scoring 17 pts on one hand. Everyone is seeing an offensive boom except us, it's like we missed the memo. It's easy to forget how bad our offense has actually been when our QB has been playing so well, but ultimately we are just not scoring nearly enough. I don't who that falls on. Is it the playcalling? The OL? Lack of backfield talent?

tl;dr- whole team is a mess tbh

12 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

That's very true, lost in all this (and it is unacceptable to blow 17-3 and 17-0 4th quarter leads) is the fact that our offense is the real unit under performing. I saw that our points allowed per drive rank around where it was at last season (I think we were 4th in 2017, 6th so far in 2018). Meanwhile the offense was top 5 in that stat last year but is 21st this year. This is supposed to be the year of the offense, look around the league, you can count the amount of teams that won s season while only scoring 17 pts on one hand. Everyone is seeing an offensive boom except us, it's like we missed the memo. It's easy to forget how bad our offense has actually been when our QB has been playing so well, but ultimately we are just not scoring nearly enough. I don't who that falls on. Is it the playcalling? The OL? Lack of backfield talent?

tl;dr- whole team is a mess tbh

yea the crazy thing is we are top 5/8 in a lot of stuff, like points, run D categories..and then middle of the pack for passing. Teams have been much better with much worse.

Yes there are inherent problems, but the O has had basically every excuse all season
(Well it's Foles, well this person is hurt, or this person, Carson is just knocking the rust of, etc etc.)

At some point you gotta stop and think, maybe there is something wrong there...maybe we just aren't putting ourselves in the positions to succeed on O enough to be the team of a year ago.

I'd say Oline has been a bit of a middling mess all year, which has led to a lot of issues getting magnified.

Lack of explosive plays from RB has been an issue, Ajayi left 3/4 yards on the field almost every run, and the backups have only been slightly better.
We had a lot of bigger running plays last year that helped the passing game, helped set tempo...they aren't there.

Nelson Agholor regressed to the mean, and it's too low. He's still much better than his first couple years..but he simply isn't doing enough with his opportunities.
Alshon has been clutch since coming back, but a so so nelly, a human cardboard cutout in Jmatt and the bundle of last to be picked rejects at WR aren't doing enough

Ertz and Dallas are both doing well, it's how doug has used them which has been questionable. Ertz is on track for a historic TE season, so it's crazy to think he could be doing even better if doug got creative and moved him or Goedert out. 

And Carson has been pretty good, but seems like he's putting a lot of pressure on himself, not trusting a lot of his guys up front and running routes, Has had a couple of plays each game that were head scratching

Doug hasn't been 100% terrible or anything, but there are certain situations were he's spit in the face of common sense and lost, and it's losing us games.

Archived