Trade Deadline Thread

MacReady

24 minutes ago, Golfman said:

How do you give either of those guys 8 million a year? Cobb is going to be passed by both MSV and St. Brown on the depth chart, probably by the end of the year. He's way too slow at this point of his career

Matthews just doesn't have it anymore. I can't possibly give him 8 million. The offer I'd make to either of them would be insulting so I'd rather they just seek greener pastures somewhere else. 

Honestly, I don't think we have a must re-sign free agent hitting the market this year. 

I don't see us keeping him next year, but he's still plenty fast for this point in his career. 

6 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

This just betrays a lack of understanding about the entire NFL talent acquisition process. Draft & FA aren't 2 independent parallel paths, they are 2 sides of the same coin. Obviously, whenever a team has a poor draft, when it comes time to re-sign players in that draft class, they'll have more money to spend on "outside" FA's, which fans like to arbitrarily single out for some reason. 

It's like all the fans that envied Atlanta's "aggression" in recent years when the only reason that was possible for Atlanta was because they basically struck out on 3 straight drafts before that. There was literally a 3 year period when the only good players they drafted were Julio Jones and a kicker. so obviously, that ended up allowing them to be more aggressive 4 years down the road when they have a bunch of cap space being freed up, and nobody internally to spend it on. 

Or the fans that envied Seattle's "aggression" by observing how they got guys like Avril to help what turned out to be their championship run. And then once Seattle had to extend their QB & core players in their secondary (as a result of successful drafts), that aggression dried up.   

Same thing will likely happen with the Rams. In 2019, the Donald/Cooks/Peters cap hits will jump by 26m. Then in 2020, Donald/Gurley/Goff cap hits will jump 24+m. Rams won't have has much space to replace expiring decent players like Saffold & their activity in FA & trades will dry up and overall roster talent will regress and depth will thin out and they won't be able to withstand it as much when one starter or another has a poor year. And casual fans will just be busy somewhere else envying whatever the next young team is that's hitting their window with cheap talent. But every once in a while they'll glance back at the Rams and wonder what happened to them. They'll still probably be a threat, but why are they no longer dominant front-runner? Meanwhile the answer was apparent to those who know where to look. 

Team actions are as much a product of circumstance as any supposed dogmatic adherence to a strategy. Look at when GB signed Julius Peppers, which propelled them to the brink of a championship. Part of the reason they were able to do that was because their 2011 draft class was bad and they knew they wouldn't have to earmark as much money for re-signings. 

Or even the recent 2017 signings. They happened due to a confluence of circumstances that allowed GB the cap space. Peppers & Lang were departing, clearing 16.7m. GB had to cut Shields due to concussions, so that cleared another 8.5m. And current team talent at S (HHCD & Burnett) and C (Linsley) allowed them to pass on Hyde and Tretter, when they might otherwise have re-signed them if the rest of the team talent hadn't developed in the way it did. People like me stated ahead of time that GB would likely be buyers in FA, but so many in the fan base were surprised by the signings because they don't pay attention to the cap and they develop myths about how GB operates and disregard the impact of yearly circumstance on a team's ability to bring in "outside" players. 

And foreseeably Gute won't be as active in bringing in "outside" guys in 2020 & 2021 because they won't have 40+m in space to be used exclusively for "outside" guys like they will this coming offseason. He'll be constrained by circumstance like other teams & gm's, and inevitably certain members of the fanbase will think his operating strategy somehow changed.

Betrays an understanding of the NFL talent acquisition process eh? Sure.

If Ted's solutions to his failed draft classes were Lance Kendricks, Quinton Dial, Ahmad Brooks, Jahri Evans and Ricky Jean Francois it's probably good he's not in charge.

I get how the league works.

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

He can't rush from the EDGE period. Average, even backup tackles handle him one on one pretty much all game. If you want to keep him as an inside backer or rover type player who plays on the EDGE in a very limited fashion, then I'd be game but that type of player shouldn't be getting any type of big contract offer. 

Which is exactly why I said at the right price. There's no way of knowing what a team like Oakland will overpay. But at the right price I think he can be a useful rotation guy.

If you look at most of his pressures this season including both roughing the passer penalties, they are all coming from the edge. So I don't think saying "period" at the end of

can't rush from the edge is accurate. That insinuates that he can not in any situation rush from the edge. He's been doing it successfully this year.

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If Ted's solutions to his failed draft classes were Lance Kendricks, Quinton Dial, Ahmad Brooks, Jahri Evans and Ricky Jean Francois it's probably good he's not in charge.

They were and it is.

Pretty striking how there was no mention of the "talent acquisition process" of the Pack's opponent Sunday night.

Are we supposed to ignore the fact that New England has made more trades than any other team in the NFL over the past decade and constantly signs both cheap and high-end free agents and yet is somehow able to remain competitive?

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I get how the league works.

Kinda like Gute "scraping the barrel" with guys like TWill, Bell, Toomer, etc. I fail to see an appreciable difference between the 17 & 18 FA classes. Brooks & Wilk contributed but had injury-shortened stays. Evans & TWill both were serviceable starters. Bennett & Graham both high-priced but under-performing TE's. Everyone else is basically a nonfactor. 

5 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

They were and it is.

Pretty striking how there was no mention of the "talent acquisition process" of the Pack's opponent Sunday night.

Are we supposed to ignore the fact that New England has made more trades than any other team in the NFL over the past decade and constantly signs both cheap and high-end free agents and yet is somehow able to remain competitive?

No, you're supposed to realize that cherrypicking exceptions to a rule does not disprove a rule. It's like you've never had a basic science class or set up an experiment with proper controls. 

25 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

I fail to see an appreciable difference between the 17 & 18 FA classes ... Bennett & Graham both high-priced but under-performing TE's.

So the prior GM's signing of Martellus Bennett, one of the all time free agent busts (and not just in Green Bay), a guy who quit on the team, defamed the organization, disparaged the fan base, and absolutely sucked on the field, was just as good as Gute's inking of Jimmy Graham, a player who may not be everything the team hoped for thus far but has been a consummate professional and is on pace for a respectable 800 yards receiving?

Wow.

10 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

Kinda like Gute "scraping the barrel" with guys like TWill, Bell, Toomer, etc. I fail to see an appreciable difference between the 17 & 18 FA classes. Brooks & Wilk contributed but had injury-shortened stays. Evans & TWill both were serviceable starters. Bennett & Graham both high-priced but under-performing TE's. Everyone else is basically a nonfactor. 

The difference is the fact Gute supplemented those FA signings with draft picks that are contributing to the success of the team. He didn't have to solely rely on those FAs to improve the team because the draft was a bust.

7 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

The difference is the fact Gute supplemented those FA signings with draft picks that are contributing to the success of the team. He didn't have to solely rely on those FAs to improve the team because the draft was a bust.

He's also using total hindsight on Wilkerson by comparing him to Brooks. Wilkerson chose GB over 5 teams I believe. Brooks was a Labor Day roster cut. 

The FA class Gute brought in is absolutely more impactful than Ted's last.

I was a Ted guy through and through, still love that old goof. He was a shell of his former self from 2015 on however, thank goodness we moved on, he was absolutely being carried by Rodgers and giving Mac no help.

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I was a Ted guy through and through, still love that old goof. He was a shell of his former self from 2015 on however, thank goodness we moved on, he was absolutely being carried by Rodgers and giving Mac no help.

Yup - except - cant say I ever loved the guy.

11 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

I wouldn't call Graham Under performing. I'd like him to catch a few more TDs ( had two called back vs Rams and Vikes) but he's been a factor.

33 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Image result for ted thompson clap gif

Ted brought us #12 and then stuck with him over a HOFer (#4) with the foresight to bring us another HOFer. Plus a super bowl and years of playoff football. While he fell off at the end, anyone who doesn't appreciate what he did for the franchise is a freaking idiot.

Archived