Trade Deadline Thread

MacReady

5 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Guys - we will be looking at $45M in cap space (Big Mo only player possibly to bring back), two 1st round picks and potentially a new coach. This offseason will be franchise altering.

To add to this - there is no way we were going to get a comp pick for HaHa. Gute had to make a move now if he didn't want to let him walk for nothing. He is going to be active in free agency, he basically has to with the space. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, everybody was upset Ted wasn't "going all in" by being active in free agency and player trades. The theory was that it was time to sacrifice long term outlook to maximize opportunities in the last years of Rodgers' career.

Now we're not just standing still, were actually sacrificing short term for long term.

To be fair, we've only seen that re-tooling and sacrificing short for long term on the defensive side.  Defenses historically can also turn around a lot quicker and are less reliable/repeatable year to year.  We are seeing commitment through the draft and a few attempts via free agency to fix what was the fatal flaw of this team from 2015-2018.  The D still isn't good enough.

The mid-season pulse on this team just wasn't great.  They aren't on track to earn a bye, and they aren't comfortably one of the best teams in the division.  It's the safe choice to trade HHCD now while he has value, even if it moves the needle 1% away from this year into future years.

We did see short term offensive investment in the form of Jimmy Graham for 3 years.

3 minutes ago, Cheech said:

A 4th is pretty darn good value for 9 games.  I get the comp pick argument, but that only works if Gute doesn't sign a free agent in the off-season.  

HHCD made some plays this year, but god was he awful in the red zone on multiple touchdowns.  You all know what in thought of his effort as well.  Apparently I wasn't the only one.  Because yoh don't trade a starting player mid season if you're happy with his effort.  

The move hopefully means that Williams is moving to free safety and Jackson is ready to step in on the outside.  Breeland has to be close to ready as well.

The move should give Josh Jones the opportunity to prove himself as well.  

HHCD clearly has talent.  I'm disappointed that he dogged it over the last season and a half.  I'm not disappointed to see him go.

Partly it was dogging it because he didn't want to be in Green Bay; party his three cone time shows he just didn't have the short area quickness to defend passes in the red zone. I would like to see a safety combo of TWilliams and Josh Jones.

It may turn out that the locker room gets stronger with this move, and causes the team to really come around.

I remember when the Giants traded a star receiver and went on to the Super Bowl- it came out he was such a negative influence it was messing with the teams performance.  Once he was gone the team pulled together and got a lot better.

We'll see.  It may make some players angry and things get worse.  We will get a better idea on Sunday.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

To be fair, we've only seen that re-tooling and sacrificing short for long term on the defensive side.  Defenses historically can also turn around a lot quicker and are less reliable/repeatable year to year.  We are seeing commitment through the draft and a few attempts via free agency to fix what was the fatal flaw of this team from 2011-2018 with a fluke year in 2014.  The D still isn't good enough.

The mid-season pulse on this team just wasn't great.  They aren't on track to earn a bye, and they aren't comfortably one of the best teams in the division.  It's the safe choice to trade HHCD now while he has value, even if it moves the needle 1% away from this year into future years.

We did see short term offensive investment in the form of Jimmy Graham for 3 years.

fixed

12 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Outside of Green Bay Clinton- Dix is highly regarded as a top Safety. I just felt like a 3rd was the worst you’d get and maybe it could have been a second. Here in Michigan the Detroit talking heads are mad the lions didn’t go for him for a 4th

I mean what do you think he had all this interest and people offering up 2nd and 3rd around picks and Gute was just like na how bout a 4th?  I think i'ts a lot more likely that the league decision makers value S and Haha specifically a lot less than national talking heads/fans.

1 minute ago, Stevein2012 said:

I mean what do you think he had all this interest and people offering up 2nd and 3rd around picks and Gute was just like na how bout a 4th?  I think i'ts a lot more likely that the league decision makers value S and Haha specifically a lot less than national talking heads/fans.

Totally. Fans think of Ha Ha and see the Alabama uniform, 1st round pick, 5-year starter in Green Bay... it's silly to think Gute is some kind of math-averse nincompoop.

27 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

HaHa was the anonymous player calling out Montgomery so they decided to let him go for a song and dance. A fourth? Really?

A fourth?  I thought I saw it was a 7th....

nm

I was thinking of the 7th we got for Ty from the Ravens.  I didn't see Ha Ha was gone.  My bad.

4 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

I think teams would’ve offered more if he had more than 9 games left on his contract. 

5 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

Did I say that?  No I said I was hoping for higher. I get how the trades work. Do you understand how polite conversation works?

Just now, Pugger said:

A fourth?  I thought I saw it was a 7th....

Ha Ha went for the 4th, and that's the "song and dance" he's referring to I think.  Because he's theorizing that HHCD is the one leaking the details about Monty so they let him go in a panic at a discount.

Monty went for the 7th in 2020.

Archived