Trade Deadline Thread

MacReady

1 minute ago, Norm said:

So when you all thought our team wasn't close then, did you tell Ted he got a year to rebuild? No. They were supposed to sell out EVERY year. Gute isn't a ****ty GM, I'm just pointing out he's getting passes the last guy would never get.

Not buying in to that Norm. Gute's been on the job little......what? Under two years?

13 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I’m surprised more players don’t want out considering our refusal to move on from Mike Mediocarthy.  The fans see it so you can guarantee the players do.  

Of course they do. He's gone after this year, I'd bet on it. And I've never thought this about Mac before like most others.

Just now, Leader said:

Not buying that Norm. Gute's been on the job little......what? Under two years?

And? Everyone should be graded the same. If Ted makes this same move there's more outrage that he's punting, now it's like well cool, I get it. Which is a normal opinion, we didn't get those before. It was all stupidly emotional. Same thing with Mac, next coach will get passes on **** Mac got killed for, at least for a while.

1 hour ago, TheBitzMan said:

Guys - we will be looking at $45M in cap space (Big Mo only player possibly to bring back), two 1st round picks and potentially a new coach. This offseason will be franchise altering.

Can you understand why Packer fans of all people would be highly skeptical of the team depending on free agency?

We never seem to get the big impact players for whatever reason, I’m not going to get my hopes up that’s going to change any time soon

16 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Yes, the draft should be exciting.

I also think Gute may have his eye on a FREE AGENT defensive, decision maker.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/green-bay-packers/

This is what is coming off of the books this offseason.  The guys we are likely to retain aren't going to break the bank.  So he will definitely add a piece or two, along with our bevy of draft picks.  The team needs a reboot, but TT left it in a pretty good place to begin this process, and complete it pretty quickly.  With the early returns from the first Gute draft, things appear to be well on their way, and we should have confidence that Gute will keep the Packers in contention after a hiccup.  

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

And? Everyone should be graded the same. If Ted makes this same move there's more outrage that he's punting, now it's like well cool, I get it. Which is a normal opinion, we didn't get those before. It was all stupidly emotional. Same thing with Mac, next coach will get passes on **** Mac got killed for, at least for a while.

Come on Norm - as just pointed out - Gutes been on the job for less than 10 months. He's making roster changes. That takes time.
Anyway - I was never on the "crunch and criticize" every move TT made team.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Come on Norm - as just pointed out - Gutes been on the job for less than 10 months. He's making roster changes. That takes time.
Anyway - I was never on the "crunch and criticize" every move TT made team.

It's not directed at you and other level headed posters. It's directed at the ones that put every tiny move under the microscope for years and tilted them all into the most negative light that all the sudden are all level headed. I guess I should be happy, but it still annoys me lol

Anyways, 4th is about the comp we should expect. I was only bummed because I thought we might get a player from this trade or another one.

Moving the two we did is probably a pretty big hit in the locker room as far as I can guess.

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

??

Why would that be?

Ha Ha is not an elite player.  He had part of one season where he played above the level of an average NFL safety (2016); the rest of the time he's bounced between average and poor.  There's a lot of despondent fans bemoaning Gute giving up on the season both here and elsewhere, and that belief in Ha Ha is not coming from his play.  He was a former 1st round pick who had a fun name, and that's really skewed people's impressions of his skill set.  He's a solid enough player, but generally between 15-20 among the league's safeties, and in 2017 he was significantly worse than that.  That's not a player worth being that upset over.

1 minute ago, MrBobGray said:

Ha Ha is not an elite player.  He had part of one season where he played above the level of an average NFL safety (2016); the rest of the time he's bounced between average and poor.  There's a lot of despondent fans bemoaning Gute giving up on the season both here and elsewhere, and that belief in Ha Ha is not coming from his play.  He was a former 1st round pick who had a fun name, and that's really skewed people's impressions of his skill set.  He's a solid enough player, but generally between 15-20 among the league's safeties, and in 2017 he was significantly worse than that.  That's not a player worth being that upset over.

He was better than you are giving him credit for. I'm not saying he was an all-pro but he was a serviceable, solid, player. 

No other safety on the roster can say that. His turnovers alone are going to be missed. Sure, you can say that they were lucky or whatever, but he was in the right place at the right time and caught them. No other player on the team has had that kind of turnover "luck". I fully realize who he was and his name and draft status have nothing to do with that. 

Just now, SpeightTheVillain said:

He was better than you are giving him credit for. I'm not saying he was an all-pro but he was a serviceable, solid, player. 

No other safety on the roster can say that. His turnovers alone are going to be missed. Sure, you can say that they were lucky or whatever, but he was in the right place at the right time and caught them. No other player on the team has had that kind of turnover "luck". I fully realize who he was and his name and draft status have nothing to do with that. 

You're missing the point though.  He's given up more TDs this year than he's created turnovers.  He has been nearly invisible in the run game and consistently missed open field tackles.  I don't want to lean too much on other people's work and I disagree with some of his examples, but there's still plenty of damning evidence here gif-wise.  He's not a terrible player at all, and I agree that he was serviceable, solid player, in fact I said as much.  But replacing a serviceable player is not a cause for panic.  Name and draft status aside, if I showed you tape of him the last few years and said the Packers traded him for a fourth, most people's response would be "yeah, that seems fair."  Yes, there's cause for concern given what the Packers have left at Safety, but HHCD just hasn't been a true + at safety in two years.  Losing him is not a significant downgrade.

Just now, MrBobGray said:

You're missing the point though.  He's given up more TDs this year than he's created turnovers.  He has been nearly invisible in the run game and consistently missed open field tackles.  I don't want to lean too much on other people's work and I disagree with some of his examples, but there's still plenty of damning evidence here gif-wise.  He's not a terrible player at all, and I agree that he was serviceable, solid player, in fact I said as much.  But replacing a serviceable player is not a cause for panic.  Name and draft status aside, if I showed you tape of him the last few years and said the Packers traded him for a fourth, most people's response would be "yeah, that seems fair."  Yes, there's cause for concern given what the Packers have left at Safety, but HHCD just hasn't been a true + at safety in two years.  Losing him is not a significant downgrade.

It is when the team only has player's on the roster that either cannot or have never played the position before.

The 15th best safety to the 32nd best is a significant downgrade 

Archived